Kswck

Default Cranberry Beans-How do you cook them?

Any different than regular green beans?

PENMART01

>Kswck > wrote:
>
>Any different than regular green beans?

What do you mean "green beans"... all the various beans are derived from one
variety of green bean or another... dried beans are harvested by allowing
various varieties of green beans (aka string beans) to fully mature then dry.

The colorations of cranberry beans wash out during cooking, same as do the
markings on pinto beans. There are many varieties of crnaberry beans, each
with markings in different patterns. Some folks actually make a hobby of
collecting variously marked beans.

So what's your question?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Kate ......

Kswck wrote:

> Any different than regular green beans?

As you would cook pinto beans. We like them even better. Hugs ......
kate

zxcvbob

Alex Rast wrote:

> at Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:10:24 GMT in >,
> (Kswck) wrote :
>

>>Any different than regular green beans?
>>

> Totally differently, because cranberry beans are shelling beans. They're
> more similar to green peas - inedible pod, edible beans inside. So what you
> do is the following:
>
> Shell the beans just as you would green peas (split pods, push out beans)
> Get a lot of water in a pot to a boil. Dump the beans in and let them boil
> for a good 10 minutes or so. (Cranberry beans take considerably longer to
> cook than peas, and if you undercook them, be ready for gas problems so
> severe you'll be able to launch yourself to Mars). Drain and serve. This is
> the basic method.
>
> You can add cranberry beans in virtually any recipe that calls for pinto
> beans, with similar effects. (They're very, very similar beans). You can
> also use them in places where you might normally use fresh peas, fresh lima
> beans, or fresh fava beans, although the results will be slightly
> different.
>
> Although I point out they need to be cooked for a decent while, it's not
> necessary to cook them to the mushiness of cooked dried beans. In fact, to
> an extent, if you're cooking them that long, you're kind of missing the
> point - why not simply use dry beans if you're already going that far?

They also have tasty edible pods if you pick them before they start to
yellow. They are a bit stringy, but you can string them when you snap
'em. (They may not be stringy if you pick them early enough; I dunno)
Any that are too tough you can just shell and throw away the pods and
cook the shelled beans with the rest of the snaps.

Best regards,
Bob

travis

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:35:01 -0500, zxcvbob >
shared the following:

>Alex Rast wrote:
>
>> at Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:10:24 GMT in >,
>> (Kswck) wrote :
>>

>>>Any different than regular green beans?
>>>

>> Totally differently, because cranberry beans are shelling beans. They're
>> more similar to green peas - inedible pod, edible beans inside. So what you
>> do is the following:
>>
>> Shell the beans just as you would green peas (split pods, push out beans)
>> Get a lot of water in a pot to a boil. Dump the beans in and let them boil
>> for a good 10 minutes or so. (Cranberry beans take considerably longer to
>> cook than peas, and if you undercook them, be ready for gas problems so
>> severe you'll be able to launch yourself to Mars). Drain and serve. This is
>> the basic method.
>>
>> You can add cranberry beans in virtually any recipe that calls for pinto
>> beans, with similar effects. (They're very, very similar beans). You can
>> also use them in places where you might normally use fresh peas, fresh lima
>> beans, or fresh fava beans, although the results will be slightly
>> different.
>>
>> Although I point out they need to be cooked for a decent while, it's not
>> necessary to cook them to the mushiness of cooked dried beans. In fact, to
>> an extent, if you're cooking them that long, you're kind of missing the
>> point - why not simply use dry beans if you're already going that far?

>They also have tasty edible pods if you pick them before they start to
>yellow. They are a bit stringy, but you can string them when you snap
>'em. (They may not be stringy if you pick them early enough; I dunno)
>Any that are too tough you can just shell and throw away the pods and
>cook the shelled beans with the rest of the snaps.
>
>Best regards,
>Bob

I eat a lot of beans. I buy them dried. Limas, baby limas,
cranberry, pinto, navy, great northern....then there's split peas,
lentils, black-eye-peas... I cook most of them all about the same
way. I dump them in a pot, wash them, put enough water to give a
couple of inches of coverage, turn the heat on high, cut up a big
onion and dump it in there, add a pork neckbone or a country-ham hock
or a tablespoon of bacon grease, crushed garlic, then some salt and
pepper. Once it starts to boil turn the heat down until it's just
simmering for a couple of hours, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Once the beans are soft I normally take a "potato masher" and mash
them into a paste. Add water as needed to get the bean paste as thick
as I want to. Just before serving them up I put a beer in the freezer
to get it extra cold. I usually chop up some extra raw onion to go
with my black-eye peas. Serve up a big ol' bowl of beans/peas and
have my icy cold beer with it. "STAND BACK" if'n ya know whut I mean.
;-)

--
Travis
'63 VW Camo Baja...