Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Green tomato chutney recipe

Just made this recipe, which was the lowest sugar one I could find. I
added some chilli and some grated carrot, and it tastes great hot. If
it matures well, I'll make more - I have a green tomato mountain; only
two tomatoes made it to sort-of orange this year!

I got it from a very promising site, with lots of interesting recipes:
http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pes_21898.html

Nicky.

Green Tomato Ketchup

1.4 kg (3 lb) green toms, finely chopped
450 g (1 lb) apples, finely chopped
2 small onions or shallots, finely chopped
225 g (1/2 lb) sugar
1 tsp ground pickling spice
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt
300 ml (1/2 pt) vinegar
gravy browning to colour (optional)

1. sterilise your bottles/jars

2. simmer all ingredients for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Sieve the mixture, re-boil the sauce and bottle while still hot.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this sounds very nice, and i might be wrong, but i think it would be worth
making a batch with splenda to see how that worked, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> Just made this recipe, which was the lowest sugar one I could find. I
> added some chilli and some grated carrot, and it tastes great hot. If
> it matures well, I'll make more - I have a green tomato mountain; only
> two tomatoes made it to sort-of orange this year!
>
> I got it from a very promising site, with lots of interesting recipes:
> http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pes_21898.html
>
> Nicky.
>

> Green Tomato Ketchup
>
> 1.4 kg (3 lb) green toms, finely chopped
> 450 g (1 lb) apples, finely chopped
> 2 small onions or shallots, finely chopped
> 225 g (1/2 lb) sugar
> 1 tsp ground pickling spice
> 1/2 tsp pepper
> 1/2 tsp dry mustard
> 2 tsp salt
> 300 ml (1/2 pt) vinegar
> gravy browning to colour (optional)
>

> 1. sterilise your bottles/jars
>
> 2. simmer all ingredients for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
>
> 3. Sieve the mixture, re-boil the sauce and bottle while still hot.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Are these tomatoes that haven't ripened yet or the American type ripe green
tomato?

Nicky wrote:
> Just made this recipe, which was the lowest sugar one I could find. I
> added some chilli and some grated carrot, and it tastes great hot. If
> it matures well, I'll make more - I have a green tomato mountain; only
> two tomatoes made it to sort-of orange this year!
>
> I got it from a very promising site, with lots of interesting recipes:
> http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pes_21898.html
>
> Nicky.
>

> Green Tomato Ketchup
>
> 1.4 kg (3 lb) green toms, finely chopped
> 450 g (1 lb) apples, finely chopped
> 2 small onions or shallots, finely chopped
> 225 g (1/2 lb) sugar
> 1 tsp ground pickling spice
> 1/2 tsp pepper
> 1/2 tsp dry mustard
> 2 tsp salt
> 300 ml (1/2 pt) vinegar
> gravy browning to colour (optional)
>

> 1. sterilise your bottles/jars
>
> 2. simmer all ingredients for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
>
> 3. Sieve the mixture, re-boil the sauce and bottle while still hot.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> this sounds very nice, and i might be wrong, but i think it would be worth
> making a batch with splenda to see how that worked, Lee

It wouldn't keep as well. Sugar is a preservative.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

probably was a bad year for growing..weve had wierd weather.

remeber tho the united states has several climate zones from swamps to
deserts to frozen tundra and somtimes a sposed to be hot spot is cold and
cold spot hot etc...dry place has a flood and wet spot has a drought.

so different states have different harvest and growing times in minnesota
they were done nearly a month ago..lol

right now here its sposed to be in the 60's but weve had alot of snow and
cold already..tho the claim it will be warm a day or two today and
tommorow...lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Are these tomatoes that haven't ripened yet or the American type ripe
> green tomato?
>
> Nicky wrote:
>> Just made this recipe, which was the lowest sugar one I could find. I
>> added some chilli and some grated carrot, and it tastes great hot. If
>> it matures well, I'll make more - I have a green tomato mountain; only
>> two tomatoes made it to sort-of orange this year!
>>
>> I got it from a very promising site, with lots of interesting recipes:
>> http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pes_21898.html
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

>> Green Tomato Ketchup
>>
>> 1.4 kg (3 lb) green toms, finely chopped
>> 450 g (1 lb) apples, finely chopped
>> 2 small onions or shallots, finely chopped
>> 225 g (1/2 lb) sugar
>> 1 tsp ground pickling spice
>> 1/2 tsp pepper
>> 1/2 tsp dry mustard
>> 2 tsp salt
>> 300 ml (1/2 pt) vinegar
>> gravy browning to colour (optional)
>>

>> 1. sterilise your bottles/jars
>>
>> 2. simmer all ingredients for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
>>
>> 3. Sieve the mixture, re-boil the sauce and bottle while still hot.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "Stormmee" > wrote:

: > this sounds very nice, and i might be wrong, but i think it would be worth
: > making a batch with splenda to see how that worked, Lee

: It wouldn't keep as well. Sugar is a preservative.

: PP

Thatt's why I either sterilize my jams in small jars or freeze it if I wll
be away for a few days once I have opened a jar. It really spoils fast
without any sugar adn my husband's regular jam can say for months!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 09:37:37 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Are these tomatoes that haven't ripened yet or the American type ripe green
>tomato?

Unripe.

My hubby is a weeding demon - with strange ideas of what's suitable
for flower beds... these tomato plants didn't exist until we went to
Canada in mid-July; then either the birds or the tortoise gifted them
to us, and they were setting fruit by the time we got back a month
later. I am extremely impressed that three completely untended plants
gave me such huge volumes of tomatoes - I have 3 or 4 Kg perfect ones
that are being hopeful on the windowsill - 2 have started to turn
ripe; another 1Kg are now chutney - and there's about another Kg of
ones that are ridiculously unripe or marked in some way that I'm using
for cooking. Had some for supper, actually, with confit de canard on a
bed of kale, garnished by fried toms - I would have paid good money
for it

Nicky.

REQ__Any green tomato chutney recipes you would like to share? [email protected] Preserving 7 04-09-2011 04:36 PM
green tomato chutney Ophelia[_4_] Preserving 12 19-11-2007 05:21 PM
Green Tomato Chutney Duckie ® Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:53 PM
Apple and Green Tomato Chutney [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 26-11-2003 03:35 PM
what to do with green tomato chutney? Kathi Preserving 7 09-10-2003 07:00 AM