Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Polishing enamel

Any suggestions on products for polishing an enamel-on-cast iron pot?
Like a dummy, I've been using a green scrubbing pad and Soft Scrub
type cleaners (which I use on the enamel on the stove). There's some
clouding or hazing where the surface of the enamel has been abraided
and caramelized/carbonized stuff sticks to those areas.

Email and a call to the company haven't been returned, so I'm trying
to figure out what to do.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Tue 11 Dec 2007 12:55:23p, meant to say...

> Any suggestions on products for polishing an enamel-on-cast iron pot?
> Like a dummy, I've been using a green scrubbing pad and Soft Scrub
> type cleaners (which I use on the enamel on the stove). There's some
> clouding or hazing where the surface of the enamel has been abraided
> and caramelized/carbonized stuff sticks to those areas.
>
> Email and a call to the company haven't been returned, so I'm trying
> to figure out what to do.

Its probably too late to fix what you've done, unless you haved it
professionally polished. Even then, the enamel has been damaged by the
abrasive material in SoftScrub as well as the ScotchBrite pad, and will
probably never regain its original properties.

The best way I have found to clean enameled cast iron is with glass/ceramic
stovetop cleaner on a clean (no previous cleansers) sponge. This method
will not scratch.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, December(XII) 11th(XI),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 4dys 13hrs 20mins 56secs
If you don't get everything you want,
think of the things you *don't* get
that you don't want.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> The best way I have found to clean enameled cast iron is with glass/ceramic
> stovetop cleaner on a clean (no previous cleansers) sponge. This method
> will not scratch.

I clean mine with the glass/ceramic stove top cleaner, but I use a paper
towel to clean and another to polish, just like I use on the stove top.
If there are some bad spots that won't come loose, there are red
ScotchBrite type pads that are packaged by one of the stove cleaner
manufacturers for stove top cleaning.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Wed 12 Dec 2007 07:18:34p, Janet Wilder meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> The best way I have found to clean enameled cast iron is with
>> glass/ceramic stovetop cleaner on a clean (no previous cleansers)
>> sponge. This method will not scratch.
>>

> I clean mine with the glass/ceramic stove top cleaner, but I use a paper
> towel to clean and another to polish, just like I use on the stove top.
> If there are some bad spots that won't come loose, there are red
> ScotchBrite type pads that are packaged by one of the stove cleaner
> manufacturers for stove top cleaning.

I should have mentioned the red pads. I just discovered them, and they're
terrific for stubborn spots. My range top looks like new, as I'm careful
not to scoot "suspicious" pots around on the surface, and I'm meticulous
about cleaning the damned thing. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: December(XII) 12th(XII),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 3dys 18hrs 40mins 22secs
Research causes cancer in rats.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I should have mentioned the red pads. I just discovered them, and they're
> terrific for stubborn spots. My range top looks like new, as I'm careful
> not to scoot "suspicious" pots around on the surface, and I'm meticulous
> about cleaning the damned thing. :-)

I love it when my stove is all shiny and clean. I'd love it more if it
were natural gas. Unfortunately we don't have any lines out here and I'm
not a fan of propane.

I do appreciate the electric oven. It's much better than any gas oven
I've ever had.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Wed 12 Dec 2007 07:47:01p, Janet Wilder meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I should have mentioned the red pads. I just discovered them, and
>> they're terrific for stubborn spots. My range top looks like new, as
>> I'm careful not to scoot "suspicious" pots around on the surface, and
>> I'm meticulous about cleaning the damned thing. :-)
>>

> I love it when my stove is all shiny and clean. I'd love it more if it
> were natural gas. Unfortunately we don't have any lines out here and I'm
> not a fan of propane.
>
> I do appreciate the electric oven. It's much better than any gas oven
> I've ever had.

Yes, a sparkling range is a joy! We had a choice to install natural gas
appliances when we built this house, but I have a paranoid obsession with
gas, as I was involved in a gas explosion as a child. I'll happily stick
with an all electric home. :-) The couple of times when I lived where gas
was the only choice, I rarely cooked at all. :-(

Having said all that, even if I didn't fear gas, I would still want an
electric oven. I really prefer the way they bake.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: December(XII) 12th(XII),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 3dys 18hrs 40mins 22secs
Research causes cancer in rats.

Polishing my pearls Melba's Jammin' Preserving 5 24-07-2010 02:59 PM
Polishing my Pearls Melba's Jammin' Preserving 8 04-11-2008 07:08 PM
Enamel Woks DC[_2_] General Cooking 8 20-07-2008 08:36 PM
Enamel Searing Greg Esres General Cooking 6 16-05-2008 06:38 PM
polishing aluminum Blanche Nonken Cooking Equipment 6 14-05-2004 01:53 PM