Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoke box for silver b

Has anyone tried the cast iron smoke box ($10.40 at HD) from char-broil in a
weber? RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:

> Has anyone tried the cast iron smoke box ($10.40 at HD) from char-broil in a
> weber? RM~

Yes. I found it to be much too small, and I'm too lazy
to refill it during a cook. Instead I just wrap some fist
sized chucks in foil and put them near, but not right on,
the flame.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:
> Has anyone tried the cast iron smoke box ($10.40 at HD) from char-broil in a
> weber? RM~

Yep, I have 2 of them. They work OK as long as you watch the
temperature. If you can get the heat down they will add some smoke but
no where near like a dedicated smoker.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>>> Yep, I have 2 of them. They work OK as long as you watch the

temperature. If you can get the heat down they will add some smoke but
no where near like a dedicated smoker.<<<

That's what I was thinking, two or maybe three. Do you think three might be
an over kill ??

Thanks to Steve and Reg both for the feedback, RM~

PS, I get in trouble with the lady in charge if I get too much smoke.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> Rob Mills wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried the cast iron smoke box ($10.40 at HD) from char-broil
>> in a weber? RM~

> Yes. I found it to be much too small, and I'm too lazy
> to refill it during a cook. Instead I just wrap some fist
> sized chucks in foil and put them near, but not right on,
> the flame.
>
> --
> Reg

I do what Reg does. I also put chunks on a disposable foil pan placed on the
flavorizer bars.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Kent > typed:
> "Reg" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Rob Mills wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried the cast iron smoke box ($10.40 at HD) from
>>> char-broil
>>> in a weber? RM~

>> Yes. I found it to be much too small, and I'm too lazy
>> to refill it during a cook. Instead I just wrap some fist
>> sized chucks in foil and put them near, but not right on,
>> the flame.
>>
>> --
>> Reg
>>

> I do what Reg does. I also put chunks on a disposable foil pan
> placed on the
> flavorizer bars.

I'd wonder if there is sufficient heat in there...my charcoal-fired
cookers can melt the aluminum foil pans.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I use one of the small foil grease trays, fill with chips of choice, cover
with foil and punch a hole in the foil "lid". Works just great for me ;-)
"Rob Mills" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried the cast iron smoke box ($10.40 at HD) from char-broil in
> a weber? RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I picked up two of the Char Broil cast iron smoke boxes at HD today. They
were marked $10.40 on the shelf but rang up at $ 7.87 each. They must have
been marked down during HD's recent closeout sale. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Kent > typed:
>> "Reg" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> Yes. I found it to be much too small, and I'm too lazy
>>> to refill it during a cook. Instead I just wrap some fist
>>> sized chucks in foil and put them near, but not right on,
>>> the flame.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Reg
>>>

>> I do what Reg does. I also put chunks on a disposable foil pan placed on
>> the
>> flavorizer bars.

> I'd wonder if there is sufficient heat in there...my charcoal-fired
> cookers can melt the aluminum foil pans.
>
> BOB

I think you're absolutely right. The Weber Genesis B, et all have a low
enough heat output to make all this work, as probably do most gas grills.
I wouldn't try aluminum of any kind, pan or foil wrapped on a grill heated
with charcoal.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rob Mills" > wrote:

>I picked up two of the Char Broil cast iron smoke boxes at HD today. They
>were marked $10.40 on the shelf but rang up at $ 7.87 each. They must have
>been marked down during HD's recent closeout sale. RM~

KMart here in the Detroit area had 2 left the other day at a close out
price of$4.00. I bought one, but wish I had bought the other

[TN] '97 Silver Oak AV and more Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 16-12-2007 06:37 AM
Silver B Cover Rob Mills Barbecue 5 21-10-2006 01:56 AM
Smoke in the Weber Silver C at 250 deg?? geemike Barbecue 5 15-09-2006 09:38 AM
Silver Tip-what is it? Alan Calan General Cooking 1 30-12-2005 02:40 PM
Silver tip Erica General Cooking 1 12-05-2004 02:02 AM