Roger

Default Need quick advice on brisket

I am doing my first brisket, a 12 pounder on a WSM. Put it on the
smoker at 9:30 PM. Smoke temps have kept steady at 250, had a couple of
short spikes to 270. It is now 9:30 AM and the internal temp of the
meat is at 210. Used the fork method also and it seems to twist fairley
easy.
From my reading on this group I am led to believe that a 12 lb brisket
should take longer to cook.
My dilemma is do I leave it on for a while longer or get it off and wrap
it up till meal time.
By the way it looks and smells great, I would hate to screw this up at
the very end of a overnight cook.

Thanks in advance
kilikini

"Roger" <none> wrote in message ...
> I am doing my first brisket, a 12 pounder on a WSM. Put it on the
> smoker at 9:30 PM. Smoke temps have kept steady at 250, had a couple of
> short spikes to 270. It is now 9:30 AM and the internal temp of the
> meat is at 210. Used the fork method also and it seems to twist fairley
> easy.
> From my reading on this group I am led to believe that a 12 lb brisket
> should take longer to cook.
> My dilemma is do I leave it on for a while longer or get it off and wrap
> it up till meal time.
> By the way it looks and smells great, I would hate to screw this up at
> the very end of a overnight cook.
>
> Thanks in advance

I'm no BBQ goddess, but it's done when it's done. If it pulls easily with a
fork, take the damn thing off! You don't want to dry it out. It sounds
like it's done.

kili

F.G. Whitfurrows

Roger wrote:
> My dilemma is do I leave it on for a while longer or get it off and
> wrap it up till meal time.
> By the way it looks and smells great, I would hate to screw this up at
> the very end of a overnight cook.
>
> Thanks in advance

Pull it off and wrap it up, Bro. Its done.

--
The Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer accepted in lieu of cash payment.

Stan Marks

In article >, Roger <none> wrote:

> I am doing my first brisket, a 12 pounder on a WSM. Put it on the
> smoker at 9:30 PM. Smoke temps have kept steady at 250, had a couple
> of short spikes to 270. It is now 9:30 AM and the internal temp of
> the meat is at 210. Used the fork method also and it seems to twist
> fairley easy.
>
> From my reading on this group I am led to believe that a 12 lb
> brisket should take longer to cook. My dilemma is do I leave it on
> for a while longer or get it off and wrap it up till meal time.

210 is well past the point that most folks would consider a piece of
meat to be "done"! You are dangerously close to ruining that brisket by
drying it out. Pull it off the fire, wrap tightly in double layers of
foil, wrap it up in an old blanket or afghan, and put it in a cooler
until it's time to eat.

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
frohe

Roger wrote:
> I am doing my first brisket, a 12 pounder on a WSM. Put it on the
> smoker at 9:30 PM. Smoke temps have kept steady at 250, had a
> couple
> of short spikes to 270. It is now 9:30 AM and the internal temp of
> the meat is at 210. Used the fork method also and it seems to twist
> fairley easy.

At 210°F, ya may have over-cooked it. 190-195°F is where ya wanna
take it off the cooker and wrap til dinner time.

> From my reading on this group I am led to believe that a 12 lb
> brisket
> should take longer to cook.

There's no magic rule for when a brisket is done. Brisket is one
hornery cut of meat with a mind of its own. Two same-sized briskets
could be hours apart in cook time under identical circumstances.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry