Tim

Default smoking fish?

I have heard that if you want to smoke fish you need a smoker for
that, and a smoker for the rest of what ever you want to smoke...that
the smoker will retain the flavor of the fish, hence Q laced with
spanish mackeral? Any thing to this?
Thanks,
Tim
Reg

Tim wrote:

> I have heard that if you want to smoke fish you need a smoker for
> that, and a smoker for the rest of what ever you want to smoke...that
> the smoker will retain the flavor of the fish, hence Q laced with
> spanish mackeral? Any thing to this?

In short, no. I do fish, shrimp, oysters, scallops, all in the same
smokers that I do beef, pork and poultry. It's never been a problem
for me or my customers.

Duwop

Reg wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> I have heard that if you want to smoke fish you need a smoker for
>> that, and a smoker for the rest of what ever you want to smoke...that
>> the smoker will retain the flavor of the fish, hence Q laced with
>> spanish mackeral? Any thing to this?

> In short, no. I do fish, shrimp, oysters, scallops, all in the same
> smokers that I do beef, pork and poultry. It's never been a problem
> for me or my customers.

Customers?

Reg

Duwop wrote:

> Customers?

Yes. Catering, specializing in cured and smoked products, both direct to the
public and subcontracting with other caterers. Mostly the latter right now
because it's the busy season.

Duwop

Reg wrote:
> Duwop wrote:
>
>> Customers?

> Yes. Catering, specializing in cured and smoked products, both direct
> to the public and subcontracting with other caterers. Mostly the
> latter right now because it's the busy season.

Had no idee, ty.

butch burton

Reg > wrote in message .com>...
> Duwop wrote:
>
> > Customers?

> Yes. Catering, specializing in cured and smoked products, both direct to the
> public and subcontracting with other caterers. Mostly the latter right now
> because it's the busy season.

Reg:
Ever smoke carp-have access to some big ones from a very clean stream.
They run from 5 to 20#. Thought I would soak them in a fairly spicy
brine mixture and then use a medium spice dry rub on them.

Suggestions appreciated.
Jarhead

"butch burton" > wrote in message
om...
| Reg > wrote in message
.com>...
| > Duwop wrote:
| >
| > > Customers?
| >
| > Yes. Catering, specializing in cured and smoked products, both
direct to the
| > public and subcontracting with other caterers. Mostly the latter
right now
| > because it's the busy season.
|
| Reg:
| Ever smoke carp-have access to some big ones from a very clean stream.
| They run from 5 to 20#. Thought I would soak them in a fairly spicy
| brine mixture and then use a medium spice dry rub on them.
|
| Suggestions appreciated.

During the depression my grandmother cooked carp in the oven. She first
removed the mud vein down each side of them and then soaked the carp in
milk overnight. She put it in the oven and basted it with butter and
honey. I don't know what temperature she used. Everyone that ate it,
liked it. My grandpa said that if she prepared the soles of his work
boots the same way; everyone would like the way they tasted too. ;-}
--
Jarhead

Reg

butch burton wrote:

> Reg:
> Ever smoke carp-have access to some big ones from a very clean stream.
> They run from 5 to 20#. Thought I would soak them in a fairly spicy
> brine mixture and then use a medium spice dry rub on them.
>
> Suggestions appreciated.

Sure. Scale and fillet them. I'd cut them into pieces but you could
smoke a whole fillet if you wanted.

I'd brine them for around 2 hours in a strong brine. Here's a basic one.
Feel free to add the herbs and spices of your choosing.

2 q water
1 C kosher salt
1 C sugar
2 T garlic powder

Air dry in the fridge until the surface is dry. You can use a spice rub
or just coat with a bit of oil. Smoke at 180 - 200 F just until it flakes
or a bit sooner if you like it on the rare side.

The sugar is a bit higher than I usually use on say, salmon or trout.
Carp can have a sort of muddy flavor depending on the water it comes
out of, and the extra sugar will help.

Here's an excellent source for more info on smoking fish

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm

smoking fish and meat. A. Kesteloo Barbecue 11 11-12-2010 01:00 AM
Smoking Fish tranch728 Barbecue 6 17-01-2005 01:27 PM
Smoking Fish tranch728 Barbecue 0 15-01-2005 08:08 PM
Smoking Fish Porky Wascombe Recipes (moderated) 0 18-02-2004 01:38 PM
Smoking Fish? Joe Agro Barbecue 10 14-12-2003 04:03 PM