JakBQuik

Default BBQ Film Premiered in Austin Last Sunday

First of all, I have no connection to the makers of this film, no interest
in its profits and nothing to gain in reporting about it here. So here
goes:

I saw the premier of a documentary called "Barbeque:A Texas Love Story" at
the Austin Convention Center last Sunday.

www.bbqfilm.com

This film rather disjointedly explains the historical and societal
connections between Texans and their BBQ. It has a lot of short, talking
head cameos by folks like Dan Rather, Kinky Friedman, Liz Carpenter, Cactus
Pryor and others that are pretty darn humorous.

Narrated by Ann Richards, the movie doesn't really know what it wants to be.
There is a funny continuing thread concerning the University of Texas
demanding that the seal on the T shirts of the UT BBQ club be removed
because of a too great a resemblance to the real seal of UT. Interspersed
throughout are shots of some of the great BBQ joints in central TX (Black's,
Smitty's, Luling City Market, John Mueller's)....as well some not so greats
(County Line, Salt Lick). There's not a lot of comparing Texas BBQ to other
states', no explanation of cooking methods, no discussion of the different
meats used in BBQ. One funny part was Liz Carpenter and Dan Rather going on
about how BBQs played an important role in LBJ's diplomacy efforts and how
BBQ was never served in the White House.

Overall, a good effort, but a little disjointed. I'd give it ***.

John in Austin

PS: I talked to one of the producers while standing in line. He said he is
now a "no sauce" man, still prefers bread to crackers, thought Smitty's had
the best brisket, and has taken up the habit of eating sliced cheddar cheese
along with like they do at some joints.

ll

JakBQuik wrote:
>.as well some not so greats (County Line, Salt Lick).

What's wrong with the Salt Lick?

We were in San Antonio a while back for a culinary conference.
(Wife is a culinary instructor.) The conference organizer,
who is the head of a SA cooking school, took his keynote speaker,
who was from Europe [1], to the Salt Lick. He could have chosen
any type of cuisine anywhere within an hour of SA, and he chose BBQ
and the Salt Lick. (This is the one in Driftwood, not the one
in Austin.)

We thought if it was good enough for him, it was sure good enough
for us, so we drove to Driftwood. It was great. It seems like
you can smell the smoke nearly a mile away.

[1] For monroe and jackcurry, that's way east of Tennessee.
BigDog

ll wrote in alt.food.barbecue

> JakBQuik wrote:
>>.as well some not so greats (County Line, Salt Lick).

> What's wrong with the Salt Lick?
>
> We were in San Antonio a while back for a culinary conference.
> (Wife is a culinary instructor.) The conference organizer,
> who is the head of a SA cooking school, took his keynote speaker,
> who was from Europe [1], to the Salt Lick. He could have chosen
> any type of cuisine anywhere within an hour of SA, and he chose BBQ
> and the Salt Lick. (This is the one in Driftwood, not the one
> in Austin.)
>
> We thought if it was good enough for him, it was sure good enough
> for us, so we drove to Driftwood. It was great. It seems like
> you can smell the smoke nearly a mile away.
>

> [1] For monroe and jackcurry, that's way east of Tennessee.

I gotta agree with you here. I've eaten at the Salt Lick in
Driftwood numerous times and it is always great.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
JakBQuik

"ll" wrote

> What's wrong with the Salt Lick?

Absolutely nothing. Whatever floats your boat. My wife's law firm has their
annual picnic at the Salt Lick's little party barn thingie across the creek.
Many people like the family style service and the byob. The food, IMHO, is
just okay. Same thing with the County Line. With the exception of their
beef ribs, which I love, I think the food is just okay.

I guarantee that once you've had the brisket in Luling you'll set your
"brisket bar" up a little higher.

Tyler Hopper

"ll" > wrote in message
> JakBQuik wrote:
> >.as well some not so greats (County Line, Salt Lick).

> What's wrong with the Salt Lick?

Nothing, but it's just not the best around. For Salt Lick quality you could have
saved a lot of time and went to Rudy's in Leon Springs.

> We were in San Antonio a while back for a culinary conference.
> (Wife is a culinary instructor.) The conference organizer,
> who is the head of a SA cooking school, took his keynote speaker,
> who was from Europe [1], to the Salt Lick. He could have chosen
> any type of cuisine anywhere within an hour of SA, and he chose BBQ
> and the Salt Lick. (This is the one in Driftwood, not the one
> in Austin.)
>
> We thought if it was good enough for him, it was sure good enough
> for us, so we drove to Driftwood. It was great. It seems like
> you can smell the smoke nearly a mile away.

There are many people in San Antonio who know nothing about BBQ (not speaking
directly of your friend because I don't know them).

Next time you're down, reserve a day to visit the Holy City of Q; Lockhart.
There are 3 or 4 joints there that are considered shrines here.

If you have time, try to make it to Luling also.

_________
ht_redneck

JakBQuik

"Steve Wertz" wrote

> I haven't heard anything about the Salt Lick in Austin for a while
> now. I think that was a short-lived, more upscale eatery that
> didn't last long - don't even think they sold BBQ. JBQ - You know
> anything more about it? I can't find it on any online guides.
>
> There's the outlet at the Airport as well. Expensive and not very
> good, IMO. Now you need a plane ticket to eat there. I'll pass.
>
> -sw

Actually, Steve, I was talking about the SL in Driftwood, taking liberties
to include Driftwood in Austin. SL does have an outlet on 360, just S of
the big bridge. You're right...very upscale and expensive (give me
smoked-stained walls and picnic tables). Like the airport location, they
serve BBQ cooked at the Driftwood locale and then delivered to the outlet.
I would never eat at either location. The BBQ at the SL in Driftwood is
just passable. Secondhand, away from the pits by a long van trip, the BBQ
is imminently easy for me to pass up.

Of all the joints in the film I haven't eaten at, Opie's in Spicewood
intrigued me the most. Its on our calendar to try.

BTW Steve, I know you're a big fan of John Mueller's on Manor. He has some
nice footage in the film, waxing poetic about the deeper meaning to Texans
about BBQ. I think he's in the trailer you can see at the website.

John in Austin

JakBQuik

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message

> as soon as I get
> my State tax refund I'm going on another BBQ Binge).

Er....uh Steve.....this is TEXAS by God. We don't have a State income tax,
yet.

Could be from some other lesser state, I guess. I might see you there.

John in Austin