Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Is rotisserie (device) really worht it?

I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.

So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).

EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
about $180.

My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?

Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
cocked?

Thanks as always!
Paul (formerly known as meatnub)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 11:50*am, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
> I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.
>
> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).
>
> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
> about $180.
>
> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>
> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> cocked?
>
> Thanks as always!
> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

Just to add, here is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7519-Gas...2767905&sr=8-2

And here is what I am thinking I *should* have bought instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Genesis-...2767977&sr=8-6

What I bought , the 4 pronged rotisserie, can handle weight up to 18
lbs.

My concern is the prongs - will they ruin the rotisserie because
juices will leak out from the pierced areas caused by the prongs?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message
On Jun 6, 11:50 am, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
> I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.
>
> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).
>
> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
> about $180.
>
> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>
> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> cocked?
>
> Thanks as always!
> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

Just to add, here is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7519-Gas...2767905&sr=8-2

And here is what I am thinking I *should* have bought instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Genesis-...2767977&sr=8-6

What I bought , the 4 pronged rotisserie, can handle weight up to 18
lbs.

My concern is the prongs - will they ruin the rotisserie because
juices will leak out from the pierced areas caused by the prongs?

Thanks.

I did a chicken on mine the other day that came out SUPER juicy. I do stab
the meat with at least one prong on each end. If you don't the meat will
start to turn on the stick and/or flop around. I just let it rest for a
good 10 mins plus before I pull out the prongs after it's done. It's not
much different then sticking it with a meat thermometer (which I leave in
after it's inserted.)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 11:50 am, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
> I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.
>
> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).
>
> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
> about $180.
>
> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>
> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> cocked?
>
> Thanks as always!
> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

Rotisserie chicken is best done over lump charcoal. The supermarket
variety I'm surprised that you enjoy it. It is bland. Needs sauce at
the very least. Piercing does release juices and fat, but I still
like the rotisserie technique. I've never done a whole chicken any
other way while I had my set-up. My current set up doesn't have a
rotisserie, and I halve the chickens and cook over lump charcoal.
Impressive results. Cooking them from raw stage takes some finesse,
but we all learn by trial and error. I'm eventually going to do a
whole chicken(non-rotisserie)over lump charcoal. I'm confident it
will turn out excellent once I get the bugs(if any)ironed out.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
B~ B~ is offline

"Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message ...
> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>
> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> cocked?
>
> Thanks as always!
> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

Yes. Beer can chicken: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken2.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message
On Jun 6, 11:50 am, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
> I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.
>
> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).
>
> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
> about $180.
>
> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>
> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> cocked?
>
> Thanks as always!
> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

Just to add, here is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7519-Gas...2767905&sr=8-2

And here is what I am thinking I *should* have bought instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Genesis-...2767977&sr=8-6

>What I bought , the 4 pronged rotisserie, can handle weight up to 18

lbs.

>My concern is the prongs - will they ruin the rotisserie because
>juices will leak out from the pierced areas caused by the prongs?

Thanks.

Nope that's not the way it works. As a matter of fact the heat absorbed by
the tines (prongs) and the main shaft is transmitted into the meat.

Rotissing meat is one of the juiciest preparations as the constant rotation
reduces the moisture loss.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 3:16*pm, "frohe" > wrote:
> "Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message
>
> > My concern is the prongs - will they ruin the rotisserie because
> > juices will leak out from the pierced areas caused by the prongs?

> Those chickens you've been buying at the supermarket have been pierced.
> Stop fretting this and get some chicken rotisseried. <g>
>
> -frohe

haha yeah.. thanks
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 1:48*pm, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
> On Jun 6, 3:16*pm, "frohe" > wrote:
>
> > "Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message

> > > My concern is the prongs - will they ruin the rotisserie because
> > > juices will leak out from the pierced areas caused by the prongs?

> > Those chickens you've been buying at the supermarket have been pierced.
> > Stop fretting this and get some chicken rotisseried. <g>

> > -frohe

> haha yeah.. thanks

I just do a beer can chicken or spatchcock them and they seem to turn
out great and I just saved $180 bucks, but if you are
a gadget hound and want to stimulate the economy spend the money on
the rotisseire instead of gas and maybe the money will stay
here in the U.S.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 3:01 pm, wrote:
> On Jun 6, 1:48 pm, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 6, 3:16 pm, "frohe" > wrote:

> > > "Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message

> > > Those chickens you've been buying at the supermarket have been pierced.
> > > Stop fretting this and get some chicken rotisseried. <g>

> > > -frohe

> > haha yeah.. thanks

> I just do a beer can chicken or spatchcock them and they seem to turn
> out great and I just saved $180 bucks, but if you are
> a gadget hound and want to stimulate the economy spend the money on
> the rotisseire instead of gas and maybe the money will stay
> here in the U.S.

An alternative to rotisserie; whole chicks:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 3:07*pm, Walter Chan the Chinese Food Man
> wrote:
> On Jun 6, 3:01 pm, wrote:

> > > haha yeah.. thanks

> > I just do a beer can chicken or spatchcock them and they seem to turn
> > out great and I just saved $180 bucks, but if you are
> > a gadget hound and want to stimulate the economy spend the money on
> > the rotisseire instead of gas and maybe the money will stay
> > here in the U.S.

> An alternative to rotisserie; whole chicks:http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch..htm- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. Yeah I found that website here previously. The more I re-read
that it comes out better (or just as good) as rotisserie the more I
want to try it. Simple too. No gadgets necessary.

Of course it'll be on my gasser so I'll have to see how that goes.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 3:01*pm, wrote:
> On Jun 6, 1:48*pm, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 6, 3:16*pm, "frohe" > wrote:

> > > "Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message

> > > Those chickens you've been buying at the supermarket have been pierced..
> > > Stop fretting this and get some chicken rotisseried. <g>

> > > -frohe

> > haha yeah.. thanks

> I just do a beer can chicken or spatchcock them and they seem to turn
> out great and I just saved $180 bucks, but if you are
> a gadget hound and want to stimulate the economy spend the money on
> the rotisseire instead of gas and maybe the money will stay
> here in the U.S.

It's not that I'm a gadget hound so much that I enjoy rotisserie and
want to do more things than just chicken.

Spatchcock a chicken is great - but then what about Ham - or prime
rib.. or.. hm i think that's really it?

Ug, I've got a ways to go, a lot to cook and a lot to learn.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 11:50 am, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
> I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.
>
> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).
>
> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
> about $180.
>
> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>
> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> cocked?
>
> Thanks as always!
> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

We have a ceramic cooker. That having been said, I was thinking about
how to do a great chicken on a gas grill. We do ours at 350 for about
an hour and a quarter or til internal temp is 175 or 180. We use a
pan of sand under the bird, as a heat sink, or to help stabilize the
temp under the bird so as not to burn his downward facing parts(some
cook em breast down to keep most juice there as breast meat dries
easily.)
I'd think there could be an adaptation of that for gas grills too,
just maybe the simplicity of offset cooking as you had mentioned.

Another thing I do to make them great is marinate under the skin. If
you stick your fingers or a teaspoon under the skin and then spoon in
a couple of teaspoons of marinade, the actual meat absorbs more
flavor. Our birds are always juicy and delicious, and the skin
crunchy.
Good luck, and you might try a heatsink under the rotissiere too if
there seems to be a need for it.
Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Olde Hippee wrote:
> On Jun 6, 11:50 am, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
>> I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
>> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.
>>
>> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
>> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
>> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
>> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).
>>
>> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
>> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
>> about $180.
>>
>> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
>> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>>
>> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
>> cocked?
>>
>> Thanks as always!
>> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

> We have a ceramic cooker. That having been said, I was thinking about
> how to do a great chicken on a gas grill. We do ours at 350 for about
> an hour and a quarter or til internal temp is 175 or 180. We use a
> pan of sand under the bird, as a heat sink, or to help stabilize the
> temp under the bird so as not to burn his downward facing parts(some
> cook em breast down to keep most juice there as breast meat dries
> easily.)
> I'd think there could be an adaptation of that for gas grills too,
> just maybe the simplicity of offset cooking as you had mentioned.
>
> Another thing I do to make them great is marinate under the skin. If
> you stick your fingers or a teaspoon under the skin and then spoon in
> a couple of teaspoons of marinade, the actual meat absorbs more
> flavor. Our birds are always juicy and delicious, and the skin
> crunchy.
> Good luck, and you might try a heatsink under the rotissiere too if
> there seems to be a need for it.
> Nan in DE

I don't have a rotisserie on my gas grill. I do a whole chicken on a
beer can. You don't need to use beer, however. I've put some interesting
stuff in the cans like juices and herbs. It takes from 60-90 minutes at
325 degrees F. to do a fryer on our gas grill over indirect heat. It is
by far, the tenderest, juiciest chicken I've ever eaten.

I use a rub of granulated garlic, onion powder, Bell's poultry
seasoning, black pepper and run-of-the-mill paprika ant tie the wings
down so they don't over-cook.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 7, 10:20*am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Paul the Q noob wrote:

> >> I just do a beer can chicken or spatchcock them and they seem to turn
> >> out great and I just saved $180 bucks, but if you are
> >> a gadget hound and want to stimulate the economy spend the money on
> >> the rotisseire instead of gas and maybe the money will stay
> >> here in the U.S.

> > It's not that I'm a gadget hound so much that I enjoy rotisserie and
> > want to do more things than just chicken.

> > Spatchcock a chicken is great - but then what about Ham - or prime
> > rib.. or.. hm i think that's really it?

> > Ug, I've got a ways to go, a lot to cook and a lot to learn.

> Paul, I think you're doing great. *You're asking excellent questions in the
> forums I've seen you in. *Keep up the good work.
>
> kili- Hide quoted text -

thanks kili! we'll see how things turn out this weekend for sure ;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 7, 11:30*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Olde Hippee wrote:
> > On Jun 6, 11:50 am, Paul the Q noob > wrote:
> >> I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
> >> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.

> >> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
> >> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
> >> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
> >> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).

> >> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
> >> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
> >> about $180.

> >> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> >> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?

> >> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> >> cocked?

> >> Thanks as always!
> >> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

> > We have a ceramic cooker. That having been said, I was thinking about
> > how to do a great chicken on a gas grill. *We do ours at 350 for about
> > an hour and a quarter or til internal temp is 175 or 180. *We use a
> > pan of sand under the bird, as a heat sink, or to help stabilize the
> > temp under the bird so as not to burn his downward facing parts(some
> > cook em breast down to keep most juice there as breast meat dries
> > easily.)
> > I'd think there could be an adaptation of that for gas grills too,
> > just maybe the simplicity of offset cooking as you had mentioned.

> > Another thing I do to make them great is marinate under the skin. If
> > you stick your fingers or a teaspoon under the skin and then spoon in
> > a couple of teaspoons of marinade, the actual meat absorbs more
> > flavor. *Our birds are always juicy and delicious, and the skin
> > crunchy.
> > Good luck, and you might try a heatsink under the rotissiere too if
> > there seems to be a need for it.
> > Nan in DE

> I don't have a rotisserie on my gas grill. *I do a whole chicken on a
> beer can. You don't need to use beer, however. I've put some interesting
> stuff in the cans like juices and herbs. *It takes from 60-90 minutes at
> 325 degrees F. to do a fryer on our gas grill over indirect heat. It is
> by far, the tenderest, juiciest chicken I've ever eaten.
>
> I use a rub of granulated garlic, onion powder, Bell's poultry
> seasoning, black pepper and run-of-the-mill paprika ant tie the wings
> down so they don't over-cook.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life- Hide quoted text -

Sounds great Janet. I have to find a whole chicken first - Acme
doesn't sell any except 7lb purdue chickens which say there's about
17% chicken broth added. Weird. They are roasters.

Genaurdi's sells whole 3lb perdue chickens for $5 and "Organics" whole
chickens for $10. I wonder if the organics are really worth it.

I will try "beer" can chicken with a fruit juice like apple perhaps. I
have a 1 yr old son don't need him getting drunk quite yet! ha-ha. i
know the beer isn't really soaked into the chicken, but hey i'd rather
play it safe and juice might be nice.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"B~" > wrote in message

> "Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message
>> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
>> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>>
>> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
>> cocked?
>>
>> Thanks as always!
>> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

> Yes. Beer can chicken: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken2.html

I agree. You can buy a beer can holder so the whole operation doesn't die
when the chicken falls over, which it used to invariably do. You also don't
have to use beer. I place the holder on the 22" Weber between two sets of
coals underneath the grate, and rotate every half hour. You leave the grate
off. It does everything a rotisserie can do.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Paul the Q noob wrote:

> Sounds great Janet. I have to find a whole chicken first - Acme
> doesn't sell any except 7lb purdue chickens which say there's about
> 17% chicken broth added. Weird. They are roasters.
>
> Genaurdi's sells whole 3lb perdue chickens for $5 and "Organics" whole
> chickens for $10. I wonder if the organics are really worth it.

The 3 pound Perdue should do well.

> I will try "beer" can chicken with a fruit juice like apple perhaps. I
> have a 1 yr old son don't need him getting drunk quite yet! ha-ha. i
> know the beer isn't really soaked into the chicken, but hey i'd rather
> play it safe and juice might be nice.

Just use a can the same size as a beer or soda can. Even if you used
beer, none would get into the chicken. Most of it stays in the can.

I have a gadget that holds the can, but you really don't need one. Just
shove the can up the chicken's cavity and use its legs as a tri-pod so
it stand up. I like to put a small potato or chunk of onion in the neck
hole to keep the steam in. I think it makes it even more tender. I also
put an aluminum foil square cake pan under the chicken. It's easier to
move it on and off the grill and it will catch the drippings in case you
want to make some really nice gravy.

Good luck!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You leave the grate
> off. It does everything a rotisserie can do.
>
> Kent

Except baste the chicken in it's own juices?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dirty Harry wrote:
> You leave the grate
>> off. It does everything a rotisserie can do.
>>
>> Kent

> Except baste the chicken in it's own juices?

Beer can chicken doesn't need basting. The first time I tasted one I
could not believe how moist and juicy it was. I just had to make my own.
I don't roast a chicken any other way now.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Jun-2008, Paul the Q noob > wrote:

> I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.
>
> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).
>
> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
> about $180.
>
> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>
> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> cocked?
>
> Thanks as always!
> Paul

There's a great deal of difference between barbecued chicken, grilled
chicken and rotisseried (rotor grilled) chicken. All are good. Each has
it's own merits and fan club. I expect that most of us in the group get
juicy succulent chicken regardless of the method we use at the time.
(Unless we screw up of course). I may be unusually strange, but I
use all of the methods depending on my mood at the time. I'm getting
about ready to spin a chicken again, but I'll do it in an electric oven.
I grill spatchcocked birds with propane and smoke whole birds
with charcoal and smoke wood.. I use the methods I have available
and see no need to add to my equipment.

The simple answer to your question, " - s it better to skip Q'ing a
whole chicken, and just do it spatchcocked?, is no. It is not
better, just different. The degree of quality in either method depends
on the cook. It's up to you to determine what you want the outcome
to be and then develop the skill to make it happen.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> "Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message
>
>> I will try "beer" can chicken with a fruit juice like apple perhaps. I
>> have a 1 yr old son don't need him getting drunk quite yet! ha-ha. i
>> know the beer isn't really soaked into the chicken, but hey i'd rather
>> play it safe and juice might be nice.

> Beer, juice, whatever. The chicken comes out steamed. I'll pass!
>
> -frohe

It does not.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> frohe wrote:
>> "Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I will try "beer" can chicken with a fruit juice like apple perhaps. I
>>> have a 1 yr old son don't need him getting drunk quite yet! ha-ha. i
>>> know the beer isn't really soaked into the chicken, but hey i'd rather
>>> play it safe and juice might be nice.

>> Beer, juice, whatever. The chicken comes out steamed. I'll pass!
>>
>> -frohe

> It does not.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

I've done them both ways, I'd have to agree that it does come out more like
a steamed or poached chicken. I also agree with the person who said they do
them what ever way they feel like at the time lol. I've done a few cans and
the last few have been rotor birds, its just fun to bbq them any way.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Jun-2008, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 04:37:32 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:
>

> >The simple answer to your question, " - s it better to skip Q'ing a
> >whole chicken, and just do it spatchcocked?, is no. It is not
> >better, just different. The degree of quality in either method depends
> >on the cook. It's up to you to determine what you want the outcome
> >to be and then develop the skill to make it happen.

> Brick, your contributions are almost always good--this may be the
> best. It is SO true.

Many, many years ago, I was deep into photography. I was trying hard
to make my first decent picture and everybody was fooling around
trying all kinds of crazy shit. The upshot was that no one was making
any decent pictures. I woke up one day and started using just one
film, one developer and stopped trying to do it faster with shots taken
in dark places. Viola! I started getting some decent prints from my $16
folding pocket camera.

It was valuable experience for entering into the realm of BBQ. Keep
it simple and you might have a chance to master one thing. Unless you
can repeat excellent results with one thing there's no percentage in
messing with anything else. And then, if you find something you really
like, don't waste time and energy trying to make it better then it needs
to be. If you get bored, make something else the next time.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Jun-2008, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> > frohe wrote:

> >> Beer, juice, whatever. The chicken comes out steamed. I'll pass!
> >>
> >> -frohe

> > It does not.
> >
> > --
> > Janet Wilder
> > Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> > Good Friends. Good Life

> I've done them both ways, I'd have to agree that it does come out more
> like
> a steamed or poached chicken. I also agree with the person who said they
> do
> them what ever way they feel like at the time lol. I've done a few cans
> and
> the last few have been rotor birds, its just fun to bbq them any way.

I confess to cooking birds however I feel at the time. If I was asked to
name
my favorite method, I'd flinch and probably say spatchcocked and grilled.
Why? Because it's real easy. I always get involved with some string when
I cook whole birds whether on a can, a spit or just on a rack. Bird pieces
are good, but then I have to mess with each individual piece, one at a time.
I don't enjoy playing with my food.

Which method results in the best tasting bird? Whichever way I did it the
last time is the best. It'll be better though whichever way I do it the next
time.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 9-Jun-2008, Denny Wheeler > wrote:
>

>> Brick, your contributions are almost always good--this may be the
>> best. It is SO true.

> Many, many years ago, I was deep into photography. I was trying hard
> to make my first decent picture and everybody was fooling around
> trying all kinds of crazy shit. The upshot was that no one was making
> any decent pictures. I woke up one day and started using just one
> film, one developer and stopped trying to do it faster with shots taken
> in dark places. Viola! I started getting some decent prints from my $16
> folding pocket camera.
>
> It was valuable experience for entering into the realm of BBQ. Keep
> it simple and you might have a chance to master one thing. Unless you
> can repeat excellent results with one thing there's no percentage in
> messing with anything else. And then, if you find something you really
> like, don't waste time and energy trying to make it better then it needs
> to be. If you get bored, make something else the next time.

Words well worth remembering, Brick.

Let me toss in another little concept called the 80% rule I'd always use
in classes. I have a friend building an airplane. Whenever he's asked
how far along it is, he replies, "About 80% done, with 80% left to go."
The 80% rule is simple: 20% of the time/effort/cost in a project will
result in about 80% of the desired goal. The remaining 20% will take up
all of the remaining 80% of the time/effort/cost.

In another thread, I mentioned starting a friend out with an R2D2 smoker
and let him get some striking results quickly. That's a good example of
the 80% rule in action. You spend just a few bucks for a good R2D2
smoker, follow the directions with a chicken, butt, ribs etc. and get
some very edible results. That's usually enough to get a person hooked
on slow smoking and they'll then spend the rest of their life trying to
improve on it- getting better and better results but never reaching
perfection in all meats.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
Never believe a person who is
Drunk, Horny or Running for Office.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for all the great advice.

Well I'm gonna cook em however I feel then, esp. since I ain't never
cooked 'em whole on a grill to begin with. Will try spatchcocked, beer
can, rotis..

Now my problem is no longer the method - it's finding the dam chicks.
I went to a place called "Colonial Market", like a deli/butcher. But
they only sell pork and beef. No chicken whatsoever.

There's a farmers' market about 20-30 min drive away, I'll have to try
that. My local ACME supermarket had Purdue roaster in bags.. one of
them had like 17% added chicken broth to the chicken (7lb)

No CostCo near me - 20-30 mins away. Might as well just go to farmers
market in that case.

Genuardi's supermarket online (15 mins away) says they sell 3lb purdue
chickens.

Not really sure if I should try Purdue at all ?

So it's to the farmers market then this weekend, might as well - get
some better meats and other things.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Paul the Q noob wrote:
> Thanks for all the great advice.
>
> Well I'm gonna cook em however I feel then, esp. since I ain't never
> cooked 'em whole on a grill to begin with. Will try spatchcocked, beer
> can, rotis..
>
> Now my problem is no longer the method - it's finding the dam chicks.
> I went to a place called "Colonial Market", like a deli/butcher. But
> they only sell pork and beef. No chicken whatsoever.
>
> There's a farmers' market about 20-30 min drive away, I'll have to try
> that. My local ACME supermarket had Purdue roaster in bags.. one of
> them had like 17% added chicken broth to the chicken (7lb)
>
> No CostCo near me - 20-30 mins away. Might as well just go to farmers
> market in that case.
>
> Genuardi's supermarket online (15 mins away) says they sell 3lb purdue
> chickens.
>
> Not really sure if I should try Purdue at all ?
>
> So it's to the farmers market then this weekend, might as well - get
> some better meats and other things.

If there is a Mexican grocery store around, you might consider getting
the chicken there. Even here in our metropolitan area, the Mexican meat
markets and grocery stores butcher fresh chicken for sale that day.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
Never believe a person who is
Drunk, Horny or Running for Office.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Paul the Q noob" > wrote in message
>I love those rotisseried chicks you get at the supermarket or places
> like BJ's. Never rotisseried in my life.
>
> So I went and bought the right Weber rotisserie for my gasser - it has
> a counterweight, motor and the rotisserie holds 1 piece of meat where
> you stick each end with a 2 pronged holder. This will most likely let
> juices run out. I didn't know this until after I bought it ($80).
>
> EZ-Que sells a rotisserie that can hold 2 pieces of meat and it's like
> an enclosed catch you lock the meat in, nothing gets pierced. But it's
> about $180.
>
> My question is - do I really need these gadgets? Is there a way to Q a
> whole chicken to come out juicy like a rotisseried chick?
>
> Or - is it better to skip Q'ing a whole chicken, and just do it spatch-
> cocked?
>
> Thanks as always!
> Paul (formerly known as meatnub)

So I noticed no one has commented on anything but chicken. Rotisseries kick
ass for beef roasts, pork loins, and lots of other things I'm sure...?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> So I noticed no one has commented on anything but chicken. Rotisseries
> kick ass for beef roasts, pork loins, and lots of other things I'm
> sure...?

They certainly do. Rib Eye roast done to medium rare is a delight, pork
loin is good too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" > wrote in message
> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
>> I say to you on this what I said to a friend in the 60s about another
>> topic: if you haven't tried it, you're speaking from ignorance.
>> (which, I must say, I don't consider to be your style)

> Well, I ain't speaking from ignorance. When beer can chicken first hit I
> gave it a few tries and my opinion was it was steamed. And, I didn't care
> for it none. Oh well, YMMV eh?
>
> -frohe

Can't say it was steamed, but the one time I tried it was the last time.
Unimpressed and a PITA to keep from falling over. Now I spatchcock and
never look back.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
>> I say to you on this what I said to a friend in the 60s about another
>> topic: if you haven't tried it, you're speaking from ignorance.
>> (which, I must say, I don't consider to be your style)

> Well, I ain't speaking from ignorance. When beer can chicken first hit I
> gave it a few tries and my opinion was it was steamed. And, I didn't care
> for it none. Oh well, YMMV eh?
>
> -frohe

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how a "steamed"
chicken can have such a crispy skin.

Maybe the "inside" steams and the outside roasts????

Janet, who regularly does beer can chickens and doesn't find them
anything like steamed chicken.