Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default device for making hummus?

a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a pain
in the neck.

i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.

i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
you use, and do you have any tips?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
> hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
> machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a pain
> in the neck.
>
> i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>
> i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
> you use, and do you have any tips?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've used a blender and a full-sized Cuisinart, and neither one was
very good. I think a mini-processor would be perfect.

If you use a fulls sized processor, make a big batch; it'll work
better, and it's no harder to clean than for a small batch. (That's
the only tip I have)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 2:05*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
> hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
> machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they *used were a pain
> in the neck. *
>
> i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>
> i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. *what do
> you use, and do you have any tips?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I use my small Oskar processor. It's no more of a pain to clean than
most tools, in fact, it's pretty easy and the container has a lid for
storing it, altho the hummus it doesn't last long around HERE.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 11:32*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2:05*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
> > hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
> > machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they *used were a pain
> > in the neck. *

> > i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.

> > i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. *what do
> > you use, and do you have any tips?

> > your pal,
> > blake

> I use my small Oskar processor. *It's no more of *a pain to clean than
> most tools, in fact, it's pretty easy and the container has a lid for
> storing it, altho the hummus it doesn't last long around *HERE.

The only humma I like is jalepeno hummus...man, it's great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>> a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
>> hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
>> machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a
>> pain
>> in the neck.
>> i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>>
>> i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
>> you use, and do you have any tips?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I've used a blender and a full-sized Cuisinart, and neither one was very
> good. I think a mini-processor would be perfect.
>
> If you use a fulls sized processor, make a big batch; it'll work better,
> and it's no harder to clean than for a small batch. (That's the only
> tip I have)
>
> Bob

I have also used a blender and a food processor. With the blender
you get a much smoother product. It also more of a pain in the neck.
I drop a few chick peas in at a time so they all get blended.

Lately I have been using the FP but you do need to make a lot. It
does not come out nearly as smooth but the texture is better than
store bough except Sabra brand which is really good.

I am not sure if a stick blender would work. Mine comes with a small
container which is only good for say, chopping a small amount of
nuts, a slice of bread to make crumbs or a bunch of garlic.

I agree that a mini processor would probably work best. You could
also probably make your own tahini with it too, which has to be
easier than a blender - which I recently did and it is a gigantic pain.

I came across a recipe in Cooks Illustrated which claimed to make a
less grainy hummus with a FP but I tried it and the texture wasn't
much different. The ingredients were the same, but the technique was
slightly different.

In my opinion, no matter what you use - a blender or food processor
- hummus is a pain to make and a pain to clean up after.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
> hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
> machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a pain
> in the neck.
>
> i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>
> i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
> you use, and do you have any tips?

Blake,
I've been using my full size 11 cup FP for making both small batch (1 can
chickpeas) and big batch (2 cans chickpeas) hummus, and it works fine. Easy
to make, easy to clean.

I think the order they put the ingredients in makes a small difference. I
drop garlic cloves in the running FP chute first to mince, then put in the
chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, spices, herbs and anything else I'm using in
that order.

Never tried it in a blender.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> On Nov 4, 11:32 am, Kalmia > wrote:
>> On Nov 4, 2:05 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>> > a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
>> > hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
>> > machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a
>> > pain
>> > in the neck.

>> > i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.

>> > i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what
>> > do
>> > you use, and do you have any tips?

>> > your pal,
>> > blake

>> I use my small Oskar processor. It's no more of a pain to clean than
>> most tools, in fact, it's pretty easy and the container has a lid for
>> storing it, altho the hummus it doesn't last long around HERE.

> The only humma I like is jalepeno hummus...man, it's great!

I've been making roasted pepper hummus lately (not a real spicy household),
but will add a lone jalapeño once in a while.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>> a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
>> hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
>> machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a
>> pain
>> in the neck.
>> i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>>
>> i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
>> you use, and do you have any tips?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I've used a blender and a full-sized Cuisinart, and neither one was very
> good. I think a mini-processor would be perfect.
>
> If you use a fulls sized processor, make a big batch; it'll work better,
> and it's no harder to clean than for a small batch. (That's the only
> tip I have)
>
> Bob

My blender works perfectly well in making hummus, it's all I have ever
used and I get the creamy texture just right each time. I think a lot of
it depends on just the right amount of liquid to the chickpeas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
> hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
> machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a pain
> in the neck.
>
> i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>
> i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
> you use, and do you have any tips?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I make it often in the blender and never noticed any particular problem.
I generally use 1 can of chickpeas per batch. The blender has a wide
mouth base and I just unscrew it and use a spatula to push out the hummus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:

> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message

>>> a > pain

>>> what > do

>>> I use my small Oskar processor. It's no more of a pain to clean than
>>> most tools, in fact, it's pretty easy and the container has a lid for
>>> storing it, altho the hummus it doesn't last long around HERE.

>> The only humma I like is jalepeno hummus...man, it's great!

> I've been making roasted pepper hummus lately (not a real spicy
> household), but will add a lone jalapeño once in a while.
>
> Jon

My favorite variation is using roasted red peppers. I add a little
cayenne for heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote on Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:22:56 -0500:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made
>> some hummus for the first time, and were saying it was
>> good, but that the machines (a blender and a full-size food
>> processor) they used were a pain in the neck.
>>
>> i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand
>> blender.
>>
>> i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus
>> here. what do you use, and do you have any tips?
>>

> Blake,
> I've been using my full size 11 cup FP for making both small
> batch (1 can chickpeas) and big batch (2 cans chickpeas)
> hummus, and it works fine. Easy to make, easy to clean.

> I think the order they put the ingredients in makes a small
> difference. I drop garlic cloves in the running FP chute first
> to mince, then put in the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice,
> spices, herbs and anything else I'm using in that order.

> Never tried it in a blender.

I use one can of garbanzos in a Cuisinart mini-processor. You may have
to push the contents down after adding liquid. I use 1/2 to 1 lime and
as much liquid from the can as is necessary. I prefer the texture from a
processor and I don't like the absolute paste produced by a blender.

Incidentally, the other flavorings I use are two tabs chopped cilantro,
1/2 tab cumin and 1/2 tab sesame seed (both freshly roasted and ground)
and two *drops* dark sesame oil. This a Mexican recipe.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
> you use, and do you have any tips?

I used to make that all the time, until I discovered
my bean sensitivty. But that would be a good idea
for a potluck or something. I bet my Champion juicer
would do a great job on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use a cheap Chief mini-processor as I don't see the point in getting
the bigger processor out. The mini holds quite enough.
I don't think a wand blender would chop it up enough, though I have
never tried or considered trying.

I always soak the chickpeas overnight and then cook them as I am not
satisfied with the taste of the canned variety.

....Alan

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:05:16 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, blake murphy
> wrote:

>a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
>hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
>machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a pain
>in the neck.
>
>i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>
>i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
>you use, and do you have any tips?
>
>your pal,
>blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan Edwards wrote:
> I use a cheap Chief mini-processor as I don't see the point in getting
> the bigger processor out. The mini holds quite enough.
> I don't think a wand blender would chop it up enough, though I have
> never tried or considered trying.
>
> I always soak the chickpeas overnight and then cook them as I am not
> satisfied with the taste of the canned variety.
>
> ...Alan

Do you skin them? (probably a silly question.)

I have canned chickpeas already, and a bag of dried ones. When
those are all eventually used up I'm gonna buy some Channa Dal from
the Eastern market. It's dried split chickpeas with the skins
removed -- should be perfect for making hummus.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 19:29:20 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob
> wrote:

>Alan Edwards wrote:
>> I use a cheap Chief mini-processor as I don't see the point in getting
>> the bigger processor out. The mini holds quite enough.
>> I don't think a wand blender would chop it up enough, though I have
>> never tried or considered trying.
>>
>> I always soak the chickpeas overnight and then cook them as I am not
>> satisfied with the taste of the canned variety.
>>
>> ...Alan

>Do you skin them? (probably a silly question.)
>
>I have canned chickpeas already, and a bag of dried ones. When
>those are all eventually used up I'm gonna buy some Channa Dal from
>the Eastern market. It's dried split chickpeas with the skins
>removed -- should be perfect for making hummus.
>
>Bob

Not a silly question.
Most times, I don't skin them but when the mood takes me, I do and it
gives a smoother result.

....Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:05:16 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
>hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
>machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a pain
>in the neck.
>
>i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>
>i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
>you use, and do you have any tips?
>
>your pal,
>blake

I use a regular size food processor and my favourite recipe uses
pretty standard ingredients except I add 1/2 cup or more of pitted
kalamata olives and 1 teaspoon of sriracha sauce.
I think the trick to getting the right texture is to let the FP run
for 4 or 5 minutes. You have to stop a couple of time at first to push
down the ingredients but, from then on it goes on its own.
A rubber scraper will get out all but a few grams of the hummus.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 19:29:20 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Alan Edwards wrote:
>> I use a cheap Chief mini-processor as I don't see the point in getting
>> the bigger processor out. The mini holds quite enough.
>> I don't think a wand blender would chop it up enough, though I have
>> never tried or considered trying.
>>
>> I always soak the chickpeas overnight and then cook them as I am not
>> satisfied with the taste of the canned variety.
>>
>> ...Alan

>Do you skin them? (probably a silly question.)

I'll jump in here and say "yes" and "not a silly question at all". We
removed the hulls (canned chickpeas) for a couple of batches. Texture
was very good, creamy rather than grainy. But it was a *lot* of work
to remove the hulls. I stood there for about half an hour, rubbing
the chickpeas gently between my palms in a large bowl of water, then
scooping off the hulls periodically---they float.

We use a Kitchen Aid 11 cup FP for three-can batches, which is the
normal batch size for us. Hummus is a ten-minute operation, and the
FP bowl/blade go into the dishwasher after. No worries.

Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 04:50:54 -0600, Terry >
wrote:

>the FP bowl/blade go into the dishwasher after. No worries.

The bowl will fog, craze and eventually crack if you make that a
regular practice. Also, I always use my metal blade and I never put
it in the dishwasher. I treat it like I treat my knives.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 07:51:27 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 04:50:54 -0600, Terry >
>wrote:
>
>>the FP bowl/blade go into the dishwasher after. No worries.

>The bowl will fog, craze and eventually crack if you make that a
>regular practice. Also, I always use my metal blade and I never put
>it in the dishwasher. I treat it like I treat my knives.

I have been using my food processor for over 10 years. All of it
always goes into the dishwasher. My dishwasher does not dry dishes
with very high heat. That may be the difference.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 19:29:20 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> Alan Edwards wrote:
>>> I use a cheap Chief mini-processor as I don't see the point in getting
>>> the bigger processor out. The mini holds quite enough.
>>> I don't think a wand blender would chop it up enough, though I have
>>> never tried or considered trying.
>>>
>>> I always soak the chickpeas overnight and then cook them as I am not
>>> satisfied with the taste of the canned variety.
>>>
>>> ...Alan

>> Do you skin them? (probably a silly question.)

> I'll jump in here and say "yes" and "not a silly question at all". We
> removed the hulls (canned chickpeas) for a couple of batches. Texture
> was very good, creamy rather than grainy. But it was a *lot* of work
> to remove the hulls. I stood there for about half an hour, rubbing
> the chickpeas gently between my palms in a large bowl of water, then
> scooping off the hulls periodically---they float.
>
> We use a Kitchen Aid 11 cup FP for three-can batches, which is the
> normal batch size for us. Hummus is a ten-minute operation, and the
> FP bowl/blade go into the dishwasher after. No worries.
>
> Terry

I skin them (dried and soaked) for Harira (a Moroccan soup) but not
for hummus. The skins end up floating around in the soup but they
get blended in hummus. I know the texture would probably be better
with skinned chickpeas but it's not worth the headache or the
prune-y fingers.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:05:16 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>a couple of pals on another list (not strictly food-related) made some
>hummus for the first time, and were saying it was good, but that the
>machines (a blender and a full-size food processor) they used were a pain
>in the neck.
>
>i suggested a mini-processor and later thought of a wand blender.
>
>i'm quite sure there are a few old hands at making hummus here. what do
>you use, and do you have any tips?

I use the food processor attachment to the Kenwood Titanium I have.
But it can also be made with a stick blender.

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 13:24:32 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>If you use a fulls sized processor, make a big batch; it'll work
>better, and it's no harder to clean than for a small batch. (That's
>the only tip I have)

But who wants to make a small batch of hummus, really? It's so good,
and it keeps for a few cdays. My SO and sons claim I *never* make
enough...

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 07:51:27 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 04:50:54 -0600, Terry >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>the FP bowl/blade go into the dishwasher after. No worries.

>>The bowl will fog, craze and eventually crack if you make that a
>>regular practice. Also, I always use my metal blade and I never put
>>it in the dishwasher. I treat it like I treat my knives.

> I have been using my food processor for over 10 years. All of it
> always goes into the dishwasher. My dishwasher does not dry dishes
> with very high heat. That may be the difference.

I don't use the dry cycle at all. I've had my (Cuisinart) FP for at least 20
years (!), put all the parts in the DW, and they're still intact. The bowl
is a little scruffy, I guess, but that's it!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:56:44 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>I have been using my food processor for over 10 years. All of it
>always goes into the dishwasher. My dishwasher does not dry dishes
>with very high heat. That may be the difference.

It happened with my old cusinart and dishwasher. It was a kitchen
aide and we didn't use the heat cycle to dry, so maybe it heated the
water higher. Fortunately, the cusinart fell apart before the bowl
did so I never replaced it, but it certainly looked terrible. I have
a Bosch dishwasher now, but only put the cusinart pieces in it if they
are totally grungy and I don't feel like cleaning them properly.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva wrote:
> But who wants to make a small batch of hummus, really? It's so good,
> and it keeps for a few cdays. My SO and sons claim I *never* make
> enough...
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

You are right, it is never enough hummus. lol I like to eat hummus
using onion petals that were cut from sweet onions, like Texas
1015's. I bought a can of hummus but I have never tried it. Maybe I
will try it today.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:56:44 -0500, The Cook >
> wrote:
>
>> I have been using my food processor for over 10 years. All of it
>> always goes into the dishwasher. My dishwasher does not dry dishes
>> with very high heat. That may be the difference.

> It happened with my old cusinart and dishwasher. It was a kitchen
> aide and we didn't use the heat cycle to dry, so maybe it heated the
> water higher. Fortunately, the cusinart fell apart before the bowl
> did so I never replaced it, but it certainly looked terrible. I have
> a Bosch dishwasher now, but only put the cusinart pieces in it if they
> are totally grungy and I don't feel like cleaning them properly.

I have noticed that chopping or grinding nuts scratches the
inside of the Cuisinart.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message

> Nathalie Chiva wrote:
>> But who wants to make a small batch of hummus, really? It's so good,
>> and it keeps for a few cdays. My SO and sons claim I *never* make
>> enough...

> You are right, it is never enough hummus. lol I like to eat hummus
> using onion petals that were cut from sweet onions, like Texas 1015's.
> I bought a can of hummus but I have never tried it. Maybe I will try it
> today.

What a great idea! I've used al sorts of vegs for dips, but this is one I
need to try.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" ha scritto nel messaggio
Terry > wrote:

>>the FP bowl/blade go into the dishwasher after. No worries.

> The bowl will fog, craze and eventually crack if you make that a> regular
> practice. Also, I always use my metal blade and I never put> it in the
> dishwasher. I treat it like I treat my knives.

y food processor bowls are aging, for sure. So am I. They are going on
thirty years old now, and so0 is the blade. They usually get put into the
DW.

My feeling is that it exists to serve me and it will wear itself out doing
that. I can get repèlacement parts for it but not for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 07:48:10 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:

>My feeling is that it exists to serve me and it will wear itself out doing
>that. I can get repèlacement parts for it but not for me.

Heh, that's my attitude toward clothing and washer/dryers. If it
comes through undamaged, unshrunken and/or the right color, it was
meant to wear again. If not, time to get something else.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:56:47 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>I think I need more sleep. I saw this subject as "device for making humans."

Cue Twilight Zone music!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 06:04:36 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®
> wrote:

>On Nov 4, 7:29*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> Alan Edwards wrote:
>> > I use a cheap Chief mini-processor as I don't see the point in getting
>> > the bigger processor out. The mini holds quite enough.
>> > I don't think a wand blender would chop it up enough, though I have
>> > never tried or considered trying.

>> > I always soak the chickpeas overnight and then cook them as I am not
>> > satisfied with the taste of the canned variety.

>> > ...Alan

>> Do you skin them? (probably a silly question.)
>>
>> I have canned chickpeas already, and a bag of dried ones. *When
>> those are all eventually used up I'm gonna buy some Channa Dal from
>> the Eastern market. *It's dried split chickpeas with the skins
>> removed -- should be perfect for making hummus.

>Thanks for the tip. I've never been able to make hummous that had a
>texture that my wife liked (I don't like garbanzos). I will try using
>channa dal. It'll be a nice surprise for her.

Maybe that's why I don't make hummus (which I actually like), I don't
like garbanzo beans either.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article >,
> Terry > wrote:
>

>> I'll jump in here and say "yes" and "not a silly question at all". We
>> removed the hulls (canned chickpeas) for a couple of batches. Texture
>> was very good, creamy rather than grainy. But it was a *lot* of work
>> to remove the hulls. I stood there for about half an hour, rubbing
>> the chickpeas gently between my palms in a large bowl of water, then
>> scooping off the hulls periodically---they float.
>>

> On the rare occasions that I use canned, I don't. However, when
> cooking the garbanzos, I do. The skins seem tougher than they do in the
> can.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Yesterday, I tasted canned hummus for the first time. It was better
than I expected, the texture was as smooth as peanut butter, and my
hummus never gets that smooth. lol They did not use enough garlic and
they used just a little too much lemon juice.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:56:47 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "Giusi" > wrote in message

>>> The bowl will fog, craze and eventually crack if you make that a> regular
>>> practice. Also, I always use my metal blade and I never put> it in the
>>> dishwasher. I treat it like I treat my knives.

>> y food processor bowls are aging, for sure. So am I. They are going on
>> thirty years old now, and so0 is the blade. They usually get put into the
>> DW.
>>
>> My feeling is that it exists to serve me and it will wear itself out doing
>> that. I can get repèlacement parts for it but not for me.

> I think I need more sleep. I saw this subject as "device for making humans."

do you have one? it could be useful. (i mean besides the tiresome,
old-fashioned way. i'd want to put them to work right off the bat, and not
have to wait around until they got out of high school.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

once again, thanks for the responses. i will forward them.

maybe i should pound up a batch myself. haven't done so in many a moon.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:59:36 -0500:

> maybe i should pound up a batch myself. haven't done so in
> many a moon.

The only problem with my home-made hummus is that I eat it much too
quickly. I really can't resist slightly grainy hummus as made in a
processor.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> blake wrote on Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:59:36 -0500:
>
> > maybe i should pound up a batch myself. haven't done so in
> > many a moon.

> The only problem with my home-made hummus is that I eat it much too
> quickly. I really can't resist slightly grainy hummus as made in a
> processor.

I'm making it for the first time tomorrow....wish me luck. Making that
and some roasted red pepper dip. Playing D&D makes me want to nosh,
and I can't nosh on what I want to nosh on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ravenlynne" > wrote :

> Playing D&D makes me want to nosh,
> and I can't nosh on what I want to nosh on.

What do you want to nosh on?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> blake wrote on Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:59:36 -0500:
>
>> maybe i should pound up a batch myself. haven't done so in
>> many a moon.

> The only problem with my home-made hummus is that I eat it much too
> quickly. I really can't resist slightly grainy hummus as made in a
> processor.

I need to try this. Chick peas are so good for you, too. On so many levels.
And garlic? Careful James you might live forever. The kind of hummus I like
is the kind with roasted red peppers--baba ghanoug, I think? Or does it have
eggplant? Anyway, the containers I used to buy always seemed too small.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>
>> blake wrote on Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:59:36 -0500:
>>

>>> maybe i should pound up a batch myself. haven't done so in
>>> many a moon.
>>>

>> The only problem with my home-made hummus is that I eat it much too
>> quickly. I really can't resist slightly grainy hummus as made in a
>> processor.
>>

> I need to try this. Chick peas are so good for you, too. On so many levels.
> And garlic? Careful James you might live forever. The kind of hummus I like
> is the kind with roasted red peppers--baba ghanoug, I think? Or does it have
> eggplant? Anyway, the containers I used to buy always seemed too small.

Yes, baba ganoush is made with eggplant. You are right, the containers
they sell in the store are too small.

Becca