What is the best brand of cake pans ?

Old 30-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Angela
Usenet poster

Default What is the best brand of cake pans ?

What is the best brand of cake pans ? I am trying to find out what are
the best cake pans cost no consideration and what are the best cake
pans for the money. I have heard Magic Line by Parrish are a very well
known high quality pan. But also have heard that the Wilton Decorator
Preferred professional pans are supposed to be good (not to be
confused with the Wilton Performance pans). I read online "The May
1999 Good Housekeeping Institute Report rates the Wilton® Professional
pan #1 out of 31 different 9 in. round pans."

I saw on this website http://cooksdream.com/thestore/B.html that Magic
Line does not have perfectly straight sides and that Ultimate
Bakerware are supposed to be the best pans. It also goes on to say
"Recent research and studies have found that a heavy shiny aluminum
pan will bake faster, more evenly, and give consistent results. The
lower the gauge in metal the heavier the pan is." The Magic Line and
the Ultimate Bakerware are both 16 gauge. The Wilton pans are 18
gauge. But there is another brand I found online that wasn't even
mentioned on the website called American Metalcraft that is 14 gauge
and is supposed to be a "professional" pan.

Help !!! What brands have you guys tried ? Which ones did you like and
not like ?
Old 30-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Petey the Wonder Dog
Usenet poster

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
What is the best brand of cake pans ?

Well, I'm not sure if you want them for baking or for show, but I use
Chicago Metallic in my bagel shop for muffins and am very happy with
them. I use them every day and they get banged around a lot. Probably
16 or 18 guage. I have some 12's that were far more expensive and very
heavy, but their weight makes them a pain to use, and I can not detect a
difference in my mufins.

If you go to a great bakery and see what they use, you might be
surprized.
Old 30-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Angela" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have a combination of Wilton Performance and Magic Line cake pans. I have
used them for years and have no complaints. My Magic Line pans appear to
have perfectly straight sides. Unless you are planning to really bang these
pans around, I don't see any need to get extremely heavy pans. All my pans
eventually become dull but not dark. They bake evenly. A few years ago
Cook's Illustrated reviewed cake pans. They concluded that All-Clad cake
pans were the best. They had better luck with the cake releasing than with
aluminum pans. I don't have problems with cakes sticking and therefore, I
couldn't justify paying $80+ for a cake pan.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:41 AM
Angela
Usenet poster

These pans will definately be used for baking. Great idea about
finding out what the bakeries use !

"Vox Humana" wrote
I have a combination of Wilton Performance and Magic Line cake pans. I have
used them for years and have no complaints. My Magic Line pans appear to
have perfectly straight sides. Unless you are planning to really bang these
pans around, I don't see any need to get extremely heavy pans. All my pans
eventually become dull but not dark. They bake evenly. A few years ago
Cook's Illustrated reviewed cake pans. They concluded that All-Clad cake
pans were the best. They had better luck with the cake releasing than with
aluminum pans. I don't have problems with cakes sticking and therefore, I
couldn't justify paying $80+ for a cake pan.

I hear you !!! $80 is definately out of my price range for a cake pan
as well. I guess that would go in the "cost no consideration"
category.

I have one Wilton Performance pan already and am not happy with it
because the sides aren't straight and so when I stack two cakes, they
do not line up correctly. I don't have any Wilton Decorator Preferred
pans. I hope I won't be banging these new pans around (unless it's
against DH's head. LOL), but I would like to start baking wedding
cakes on the side and consider these pans an investment.

What about the Perfection Bakeware ? Does anyone know anything about
these pans ? (a href="http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalog/category_507_Cake_Pans__Molds_Perfection_Bakeware_ Layer_Cake_Pans__Rounds__page_1.html"http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalog/category_507_Cake_Pans__Molds_Perfection_Bakeware_ Layer_Cake_Pans__Rounds__page_1.html/a)
Old 02-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Angela
Usenet poster

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...

I think it all depends on whether youre going for non stick or using
paper: if using paper, stove enamelled is hard to beat. But almost
anything will work with paper lining.

Thick ali will help spread the heat if your oven isnt heating evenly.
I've not noticed that problem myself, but I dont do a great amount of
baking. I've found non stick is a pretty poor substitute for paper.

I did not know that about aluminum spreading the heat if the oven
isn't heating evenly. That would be a selling point for aluminum for
me. I don't know if my oven doesn't heat evenly, but better safe than
sorry ! Plus, even if this oven does heat evenly, when we move the
next one may not. I assume this would keep me from having to turn the
cake pan in the middle of the baking time ?

I don't usually use paper when baking and haven't had a problem with
my cakes releasing. I just use crisco & flour now or a homemade "cake
release" - no paper. I am not opposed to paper, though, if necessary.
I don't *think* I need/want nonstick pans. I have heard that they
brown the outside of the cake more than regular pans. But I am
certainly open to everyone's opinions on this subject !

I did find something interesting - on the 2 websites I mentioned
above, they both have a page comparing their product to other
products. They are set up exactly the same which leads me to believe
that they have their product manufactured for them and privately
labelled to be sold as "ultimate bakeware" or "perfection bakeware".
I cannot find either of these products sold by any other stores on the
internet.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalo..._ page_1.html
http://cooksdream.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code =B
Old 03-05-2004, 01:29 AM
N. Thornton
Usenet poster

(Angela) wrote in message . com...
(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...

I think it all depends on whether youre going for non stick or using
paper: if using paper, stove enamelled is hard to beat. But almost
anything will work with paper lining.

Thick ali will help spread the heat if your oven isnt heating evenly.
I've not noticed that problem myself, but I dont do a great amount of
baking. I've found non stick is a pretty poor substitute for paper.

I did not know that about aluminum spreading the heat if the oven
isn't heating evenly. That would be a selling point for aluminum for
me. I don't know if my oven doesn't heat evenly, but better safe than
sorry ! Plus, even if this oven does heat evenly, when we move the
next one may not. I assume this would keep me from having to turn the
cake pan in the middle of the baking time ?

Well, if you need to do that now, then maybe, it would help to some
extent anyway. Copper and aluminium are the 2 best heat conductors.

I don't usually use paper when baking and haven't had a problem with
my cakes releasing. I just use crisco & flour now or a homemade "cake
release" - no paper. I am not opposed to paper, though, if necessary.
I don't *think* I need/want nonstick pans. I have heard that they
brown the outside of the cake more than regular pans. But I am
certainly open to everyone's opinions on this subject !

Well FWIW I have a mixture of baking goods, from the very superior to
the cheapskate, and as far as cooking performance goes, I find that,
when using paper, theres no difference. One is built like a tank,
another will bend and twist under the weight of the food in it, but
once in the oven theres no difference.

When not using paper its another matter, but Ive learnt to use paper
for good results. THe cheapo stuff is bad news wihout paper, it sticks
like glue.

When you think about the science of what the trays actually do, I
wouldnt expect to see much difference between them, so long as you get
your antisticking measures right. I've seen exorbitantly priced
all-clad etc sold for oven use, but I think its just intended to take
money off people who dont understand why all-clad really offers no
advantage inside an oven.

All a baking tray need do is contain the food, conduct the heat
through, not stick, be dishwashable, and survive daily life. Few fail
to meet those, with the exception of sticking.

Regards, NT
Old 03-05-2004, 05:57 AM
Fred
Usenet poster

"Angela" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Personally, I like either the Professional (gray "non stick") or Commercial
series from Chicago Metallic. As a kicker you get a U.S. made product. My
second choice would be Kaiser La Forme (German.) Any of these will withstand
quite a lot of abuse in the kitchen. Cook's Illustrated agrees with me on
the Chicago Metallic Professional series if you like their recommendations.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Old 12-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Steve the Sauropodman
Usenet poster

"Fred" wrote in message ...
"Angela" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I've been using commercial aluminum by Lincoln Weaver, which I buy
through the Next Day Gourmet, here in the Washington, DC area. They
have a website, obviously - nextdaygourmnet.com. I never have a
problem with the pan. I use Kaiser La Forme when I need a springform
pan.

Cheers
Old 13-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Angela
Usenet poster

Thanks for all the responses, everybody. I am leaning towards the
Perfection Bakeware right now. Even though noone has responded yet
that has used them ! I talked to the guy at the company last week,
and they sound really nice. Please keep your opinions coming,
however. I am checking into all the other brands that have been
recommended as well. Some of them I hadn't even ever heard of before.

What is the best brand of cake pans ? N. Thornton Baking 0 01-05-2004 01:53 AM
Questions about converting cake recipe for sheet cake, etc. N. Baking 9 15-03-2004 06:19 PM
rich, moist chocolate cake Elitsirk Baking 25 07-12-2003 12:49 AM
8" vs. 9" cake pan Dee Randall Baking 3 22-11-2003 09:26 PM
Crushed Chocolate Mousse Cake Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady Baking 0 11-10-2003 09:43 PM