Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain Mike Romain is offline

Default Refrigerator Sourdough

wrote:

> Correction. Hammelmann QUOTED Calvel to the effect that some of the
> microflora is destroyed at refridgeration temps, ruining the flavor of
> the bread. The statement regarding destruction of sourdough yeasts,
> however, was attributed another baker whose title was given as MASTER
> rather than PROFESSOR. But the question of fact remains.
>
> My apologies for the error.
>
> -Erich

I will have to agree that the flavor of my bread changes noticeably when
I bring out my storage starter from the fridge and use it right away.

I do put it away at the start of a growth cycle with fresh food and
water and it does continue to slowly react. I have left them in the
fridge until hooch appears though.

If I feed it a bunch of small feedings for a couple days before using,
the flavor comes back.

Both my unbleached white bread starter and my rye act like this.

I also found this with my dry starter.

Mike