Posted to rec.food.preserving
[email protected] mmeggs@nospam.iglou.com is offline

Default Salt for brined pickles

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 20:21:30 -0400, "Andy Petro"
> wrote:

>I like to make Kosher brined pickles using salt only, no vinegar, and
>ready in 2 to 7 days. The problem i am having is how much salt to use.
>Recipes call for anywhere from 1/4 tablespoon to 5 tablespoons for a
>quart jar. Any suggestions will be welcome.

The author of The Joy of Pickling recommends weighing salt in order to
be consistent for salt-brine fermented pickles.

The stength of the brine (and ambient temperature) control the speed
of fermentation.

According to the book, you can get half-sours in about a week by using
a 3.5% brine - 4.9 ounces of salt to a gallon of water

The batch I've got going now is in about a 5.5% brine (7.5
ounces/gallon). They'll take 3 weeks or so to finish fermenting and
will be full-sours.

- Mark