zak

Default Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "zak" > wrote in message
>
>>I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
>>Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
>>(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
>>it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.
>>
>>TIA

> Inside the case is a soft rubber oval ring that holds the bag. Be sure it is
> clean and no gobs of dried stuff are on it preventing a good seal. If air
> get past it, the sealer will not draw down the bag. Be sure it is in place
> properly also.
>
> Next to check is the bags. If there is a slight leak in the bag, it may
> draw down some, but not all the way. Can I assume you've tried a couple of
> different bags? I've not run into it, but I did hear of at least one person
> that had a defective roll and the factory seal was leaking.
>
> If you want to check the bags, place the already sealed side on the heating
> bar and give it a seal on three sides. This should make a double seal in
> case of a leaker. Then put something in the bag and see if it sucks it down
> properly. If yes, it is probably the bags. If no, it is probably the
> machine.
>
> Next step is to open the machine and play with the pump, but I don't know
> what, if anything, you could repair. At that point, invest the $50 for a
> new one they will probably send you.

I kinda figured that is what I would have to do. Tilia will send me a
machine only for $50. I can get the 550 model with accessories for $90
at a local discounter.

Was hoping someone had a similiar problem and found and easy fix. When I
called Tilia, they had me hold down the ON button and it would not stop
running, unless I released the button.

I do notice a slight ridge on the heating element, so I will try a very
small bag so that the edge does not rest on this ridge and see what
happens.

Thanks for your tips.