Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_2_] John Kuthe[_2_] is offline

Default Weber charcoal grill replacement/repair parts?

On May 23, 11:37*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2010 09:28:43 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> > We cleaned up and fired up an old Weber charcoal grill last evening,
> > but found that the bottom louver controls were rusted off, leaving the
> > bottom louvers open and uncontrollable. I looked on the Weber website
> > and here's a pic of what should be in the bottom of this Weber kettle:

> >http://www.weber.com/assets/en-us/fe...d18_diff_2.jpg

> > I searched the Weber site for repair parts but found nada.

> > Anyone have experience repairing such a problem? What approach did you
> > use (besides buying a whole new Weber kettle) and where did you get
> > parts?

> I'm surprised that part rusted out before the kettle did. *My
> experience was just the opposite. *Check your kettle carefully for
> holes, you probably need a whole new unit.

Well, from the bottom visualizing from outside the kettle, the
external adjustment arm and shaft to inside the kettle looks all rusty
and is immobile, but I'm not sure about the actual metal of the
kettle. If the kettle metal (which is supposed to be ceramic glazed
and rustproof) is OK, then all I'll need is a replacement louver and
control assembly. Or so I'd think.

I'm just not in a position right now to dig into it to find out. Too
much drinking last evening, and recovering slowly! Getting old sucks,
but it beats the alternative! :-)

John Kuthe...