Posted to rec.food.cooking
tintalle[_2_] tintalle[_2_] is offline

Default What foods taste good without salt?

On Feb 16, 3:36*pm, James > wrote:
> I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
> sodium food or at least edible food without salt. *I've tried low salt
> canned vegetables and they are bad.

I went on a low sodium diet for health reasons as well, a few years
back. My doctor and dietician recommended the same thing.. fresh
fresh fresh. Stay out of the inner aisles of the grocery store, its
packed with salt! I remember shopping for groceries soon after,
reading all the labels as i shopped.. and walking out of the store in
tears convinced there was nothing i could eat ever again! Yeah...
silly me.

I stopped eating out completely for a while, as i was paranoid about
salt. Cooking meals from fresh ingredients, or using frozen items
that had minimal processing and no salt. One of the biggest culprits
for salt is condiments.. ketchup is horrendous! Start buying your
tomato products (canned tomatoes, paste, sauce) etc in the no salt
added varieties. Spice them up with all sorts of other good things,
skip the salt. Little tricks like that make a big difference over
time.

It's been four years, no more high bloodpressure and blinding
headaches. I lost 21 lbs when i went on the diet at first. I remember
one night i made veggie lasagne that was pretty much salt free except
for the cheese. My husband looked at me and said "wow.. so this is
what tomatoes taste like!". We never looked back.