Old 16-02-2009, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What foods taste good without salt?

I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

Old 16-02-2009, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

The answer is: they all taste good without salt, but *only*
once you've adjusted for a time to a no-added-salt diet.
If you are very strict about not adding salt and eating
only low sodium food, after awhile you will not miss it.
Unfortunately, restaurants do not cooperate with this,
and even eating occasionally in a restaurant will blow
your low-sodium conditioning and you will start to crave
salt again.

You can think of salt as an addiction and you're not too
far off.

Steve
Old 16-02-2009, 07:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James said...

I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

James,

Your tastebuds WILL adjust.

I'm so non-salt that the taste of it is just about an overdose.

You CAN'T omit salt completely. Goes with the food territory.

Throw away your salt shaker for starters.

Good luck,

Andy
Old 16-02-2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

Wine makes a very good salt substitute.

Paul

Old 16-02-2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 1:36*pm, James wrote:
I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. *I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

You may want to try fresh vegetables instead. Their fresher flavor
helps overcome the lack of salt.

Kris

Old 16-02-2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

Canned veggies are not worth eating at any time with or without salt.

Wait (and suffer) two weeks and things will be tasting better as you get
used to not salting foods. We salt corn on the cob and potatoes, not much
else. I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

Old 16-02-2009, 08:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

Eat everything without salt and just wait awhile, your taste buds will
adjust and everything will start to taste right again. I eat only "No
Salt Added" canned vegetables or fresh vegetable without added salt with
no problems and have been doing so for over twenty years.

Just give it time James.
Old 16-02-2009, 08:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 3:36*pm, James wrote:
I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. *I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

I went on a low sodium diet for health reasons as well, a few years
back. My doctor and dietician recommended the same thing.. fresh
fresh fresh. Stay out of the inner aisles of the grocery store, its
packed with salt! I remember shopping for groceries soon after,
reading all the labels as i shopped.. and walking out of the store in
tears convinced there was nothing i could eat ever again! Yeah...
silly me.

I stopped eating out completely for a while, as i was paranoid about
salt. Cooking meals from fresh ingredients, or using frozen items
that had minimal processing and no salt. One of the biggest culprits
for salt is condiments.. ketchup is horrendous! Start buying your
tomato products (canned tomatoes, paste, sauce) etc in the no salt
added varieties. Spice them up with all sorts of other good things,
skip the salt. Little tricks like that make a big difference over
time.

It's been four years, no more high bloodpressure and blinding
headaches. I lost 21 lbs when i went on the diet at first. I remember
one night i made veggie lasagne that was pretty much salt free except
for the cheese. My husband looked at me and said "wow.. so this is
what tomatoes taste like!". We never looked back.
Old 16-02-2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"James" wrote in message
I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

Wine makes a very good salt substitute.

I'd guess that notbob would say that
Black Velvet makes a very good salt
substitute. :-)
Old 16-02-2009, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:03:15 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
might as well eat styrofoam.

Mae West

Old 16-02-2009, 10:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 2:38 pm, tintalle wrote:
On Feb 16, 3:36 pm, James wrote:

[...]

A two-week abstinance may be optimistic. I've been trying to be as
salt-free as possible for about two and half years (with many
relapses). On one hand, nothing I make tastes right, on the other, if
I add salt, all I taste is the salt.

It is like kicking an addiction.

Try the methadones - lemon juice, pepper, ginger, vinegars, wine,
other things from the vast world of spices. Charred and carmelized
and marinated food. Y'know what? They'd all taste better with just a
little salt.

It is tough. Moderation in all things, especially in abstinance.

Bulka
Old 17-02-2009, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
might as well eat styrofoam.

Yes, a little salt on those is needed, but some of the chips, cheese twists,
and other mixes are overloaded. Herrs chips are some of the worst, IMO.
Wise makes a low salt version of chips.

Old 17-02-2009, 12:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

James wrote:
I need to reduce my sodium intake and like to learn to make easy low
sodium food or at least edible food without salt. I've tried low salt
canned vegetables and they are bad.

Eat everything without salt and just wait awhile, your taste buds will
adjust and everything will start to taste right again. I eat only "No
Salt Added" canned vegetables or fresh vegetable without added salt with
no problems and have been doing so for over twenty years.

Just give it time James.

Ditto here. IME it took about 2 weeks for me to lose my taste for salt.

I actually like food better now. :-)
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Old 17-02-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
tintalle wrote:

On Feb 16, 3:36*pm, James wrote:
[...]

Ain't it grand? :-) It's actually hard for us to eat out any more due
to all the damned salt restaurants cook with!

Old 17-02-2009, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I find that a lot of salted snacks and such are too salty now.

I don't salt food on my dinner plate, but crackers just aren't *tasty*
unless they're salty.... and what's popcorn without the salt? You
might as well eat styrofoam.

I don't eat popcorn any more.