Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitutiion for orange zest - clementines or tangerines zest

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
> Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
> totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange zest?
>
> Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Check the source of whatever you use. The clementines I've bought are from
South Africa, and they have a very noticeable white deposit on them. It is
NOT wax. It's something to keep them from spoiling in shipment. Until
demonstrated one way or the other, I will assume that the skin absorbs
whatever it is. I wouldn't make zest from them. If I couldn't get domestic
oranges (see note below), and clementines were the only citrus available to
me at the moment, I would postpone the recipe which required the zest.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming that domestic oranges are 100% free of
chemicals on the surface.