Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Pulling and Replanting

I am thinking of pulling some Chambourcin and planting Cabernet Sauvignon in
their place. Someone said that unless you get all the roots, the remaining
roots, as they die, will secrete a substance that is toxic to the new
plants. Anyone have any experience in this?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Paul,

I replaced my Aurore, DeChaunac and Baco Noir with Vignoles and Noiret.
With the Baco & Aurore, I just cut them off at the ground and planted
the replacements as close as I could get. With the Baco, I planted the
replacements about 2' away and kept the whole Baco vine that year, then
cut off the near canes the second year, and finally cut off the trunk
the third year. Just to keep production up.

I could see no setback to the new vines in any case. They did just as
well as any 1st year vines I've had here. YMMV.

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I would hate to steer you wrong, but I have never heard this, experienced
it, read it any literature, nor heard it related in any of the vineyard
management classes i've attended over the years.

In my experiene, the bigger issues;
1. Removing previous vines. Vines develope very deep, strong root systems.
After even a few years, getting the roots out is all but impossible. I
pulles some self-rooted 3 year old Syrah a couple years beack. and we had to
work terribly hard to get them out.
2. If the ivnes are 5 or more years old, might you consider grating rather
than pulling and replacing? Given the years before you get significant
production, this might be a more effective strategy. As I said above, I
pulled and replanted some Syrah a couple years back. I replanted with
Cabernet Sauvignon. I would like to move some more Syrah to CS next year -
but am planning on grafting so that I don;t lose 3 years of production.

Good luck!

>I am thinking of pulling some Chambourcin and planting Cabernet Sauvignon
>in their place. Someone said that unless you get all the roots, the
>remaining roots, as they die, will secrete a substance that is toxic to the
>new plants. Anyone have any experience in this?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Rob Rob is offline

I've got no experience with it, but grafting seems like a better thing
to try. Perhaps graft a "sucker" to the trunk the first year, and with
careful vine management you may not even have a down year.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks for the information.

I thought about grafting but the Chambourcin are not grafted vines; they are
self rooted. I have heard that self rooted Chambourcin do not develop deep
roots like grafted vines do. My Chambourcin do not seem to be very draught
resistant so this may be the case. I have three year old vinifera vines
that are much more robust than the 8 year old Chambourcin with the vinifera
having thicker trunks and cordons and healthier leaves. It is for this
reason that I do not want to graft. I may just cut the Chambourcin off at
ground level and plant next to them. Hopefully after a few years they will
quit putting up shoots.

Vine replanting fishziblu Winemaking 14 25-02-2010 12:56 PM
membrane pulling tool Rick Geyerman Barbecue 8 20-09-2005 09:50 PM
replanting question res0f8mp Winemaking 17 24-08-2004 05:04 PM
Claws for Pulling Pork Dave Bugg Barbecue 4 16-08-2004 12:31 AM
Claws for Pulling Pork Rick B Barbecue 6 16-08-2004 12:31 AM