Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Grenache........

Perhaps it's a bit early, but I'm starting to think of this falls grape
purchase and crush. Last years Cab. Sauv./ Zin blend is showing
promise. This year I want to try some Rhone grapes I've been thinking.
Has anyone had any luck with Central Valley Shiraz or Grenache? Thanks
for your replys.......Andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Great minds think alike! Been noodling over the same topics.

I've never made a Grenache, but I do drink quite a few Rhone wines (recently
had the pleasure of visiting some of those great villages). My personal
preference is for syrah based wines. And again my personal preference is for
Sierra Foothill Syrah versus Central Valley. If you're interested in
acquiring some Foothill Syrah, I might be able to hook you up witha grower
or two; let me know and we can email.

> Perhaps it's a bit early, but I'm starting to think of this falls grape
> purchase and crush. Last years Cab. Sauv./ Zin blend is showing
> promise. This year I want to try some Rhone grapes I've been thinking.
> Has anyone had any luck with Central Valley Shiraz or Grenache? Thanks
> for your replys.......Andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi Ric.....well all I have access to out here on the East Coast of
Canada are Central Valley grapes that arrive about 2 weeks or so after
harvest. Shipping costs for small amounts would be very pricey indeed.
We make the best of what is available and try not to be envious of
those who live closer to the source. That being said .....I'm always
open to a good idea....andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

A fellow in our wine club make an excellent, fruity wine using central
valley grapes that are shipped to the Kansas City area every fall. His
blend is 3 lugs Syrah, 2 lugs Grenache and 1 lug Carignane. He cold soaks
all crushed grapes 3 days before pitching yeast. He sets 1/2 of the
Grenache juice aside to make a rose. All are fermented separately and are
blended after malo lactic fermentation. I grow my own grapes but his wine
is so good I'm tempted to make his recipe from California grapes this year.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Perhaps it's a bit early, but I'm starting to think of this falls grape
> purchase and crush. Last years Cab. Sauv./ Zin blend is showing
> promise. This year I want to try some Rhone grapes I've been thinking.
> Has anyone had any luck with Central Valley Shiraz or Grenache? Thanks
> for your replys.......Andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bill, then the Grenache contribution to the blend is 1.5 lugs?

Thanks
Steve noobie
Oregon

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 03:27:33 GMT, "William Frazier"
> wrote:

>A fellow in our wine club make an excellent, fruity wine using central
>valley grapes that are shipped to the Kansas City area every fall. His
>blend is 3 lugs Syrah, 2 lugs Grenache and 1 lug Carignane. He cold soaks
>all crushed grapes 3 days before pitching yeast. He sets 1/2 of the
>Grenache juice aside to make a rose. All are fermented separately and are
>blended after malo lactic fermentation. I grow my own grapes but his wine
>is so good I'm tempted to make his recipe from California grapes this year.
>
>Bill Frazier
>Olathe, Kansas USA
>
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Perhaps it's a bit early, but I'm starting to think of this falls grape
>> purchase and crush. Last years Cab. Sauv./ Zin blend is showing
>> promise. This year I want to try some Rhone grapes I've been thinking.
>> Has anyone had any luck with Central Valley Shiraz or Grenache? Thanks
>> for your replys.......Andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I've used Brehm's grenache for a couple of years now and it's been
very successful. The grapes are from McDowell Valley AVA, not the
central valley.

wrote:
> Perhaps it's a bit early, but I'm starting to think of this falls grape
> purchase and crush. Last years Cab. Sauv./ Zin blend is showing
> promise. This year I want to try some Rhone grapes I've been thinking.
> Has anyone had any luck with Central Valley Shiraz or Grenache? Thanks
> for your replys.......Andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

wrote:
> Perhaps it's a bit early, but I'm starting to think of this falls grape
> purchase and crush. Last years Cab. Sauv./ Zin blend is showing
> promise. This year I want to try some Rhone grapes I've been thinking.
> Has anyone had any luck with Central Valley Shiraz or Grenache? Thanks
> for your replys.......Andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

He uses all of the skins, seeds and pulp in the must...1/2 of the juice.
Bill Frazier

"spud" > wrote in message
> Bill, then the Grenache contribution to the blend is 1.5 lugs?
>
> Thanks
> Steve noobie
> Oregon
>

> On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 03:27:33 GMT, "William Frazier"
> > wrote:
>
>>A fellow in our wine club make an excellent, fruity wine using central
>>valley grapes that are shipped to the Kansas City area every fall. His
>>blend is 3 lugs Syrah, 2 lugs Grenache and 1 lug Carignane. He cold soaks
>>all crushed grapes 3 days before pitching yeast. He sets 1/2 of the
>>Grenache juice aside to make a rose. All are fermented separately and are
>>blended after malo lactic fermentation. I grow my own grapes but his wine
>>is so good I'm tempted to make his recipe from California grapes this
>>year.
>>
>>Bill Frazier
>>Olathe, Kansas USA
>>
> wrote in message
roups.com...
>>> Perhaps it's a bit early, but I'm starting to think of this falls grape
>>> purchase and crush. Last years Cab. Sauv./ Zin blend is showing
>>> promise. This year I want to try some Rhone grapes I've been thinking.
>>> Has anyone had any luck with Central Valley Shiraz or Grenache? Thanks
>>> for your replys.......Andy j.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks!

Steve noobie
Oregon

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:35:42 GMT, "William Frazier"
> wrote:

>He uses all of the skins, seeds and pulp in the must...1/2 of the juice.
>Bill Frazier
>
>"spud" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Bill, then the Grenache contribution to the blend is 1.5 lugs?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Steve noobie
>> Oregon
>>

>> On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 03:27:33 GMT, "William Frazier"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>A fellow in our wine club make an excellent, fruity wine using central
>>>valley grapes that are shipped to the Kansas City area every fall. His
>>>blend is 3 lugs Syrah, 2 lugs Grenache and 1 lug Carignane. He cold soaks
>>>all crushed grapes 3 days before pitching yeast. He sets 1/2 of the
>>>Grenache juice aside to make a rose. All are fermented separately and are
>>>blended after malo lactic fermentation. I grow my own grapes but his wine
>>>is so good I'm tempted to make his recipe from California grapes this
>>>year.
>>>
>>>Bill Frazier
>>>Olathe, Kansas USA
>>>
> wrote in message
groups.com...
> [...]

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I make mostly central valley wines; some from juice, some from grapes.
Both Grenache and Syrah are about the best I make year after year.

I usually make a light Grenache (on the skins for less than a day) and
throw the skins after pressing in with something else. The Syrah gets
oaked; the Grenache less oak, maybe an ounce of beans per 5 gallons.
They both blend well with everything, they are very flexible.

Joe

Is Grenache the new Zinfandel Bi!! Wine 3 29-08-2014 04:42 AM
Grenache JR Wine 15 23-04-2006 12:28 AM
Grenache Rosé Weez Winemaking 2 07-10-2004 04:22 AM
Grenache Rosé Weez Winemaking 3 06-09-2004 08:22 PM
Grenache Grapes Weez Winemaking 5 05-09-2004 12:44 PM