Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Rubbermaid Brute fermenters

In the archives here, I've run into a comments about using a Rubbermaid
Brute food-grade garbage can for fermentation, particularly when a pile
of fruit is involved. I was considering using one as my fermenter for a
lambic beer. How long do people tend to keep the must/wine in one of
these cans? I assume if it's food-grade, it could handle it
indefinately. On top of that, is there a way to put a gasket around the
lid? The style of beer does require some oxygen for part of the
process, but it would eventually spoil if left like that too long.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Just in case you have trouble finding the container:
http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/pr...&rcpNum=2 632

I'll be buying one this fall for cab- 25 gallons in a 32 gallon
fermenter is the max I'm told. Once it slows down I'll press it into
15 gallon demijons.

Maybe I shouldn't shoot for so much on the 2nd attempts at red wine...
but you've got to start somewhere right?

Adam Preble wrote:
> In the archives here, I've run into a comments about using a Rubbermaid
> Brute food-grade garbage can for fermentation, particularly when a pile
> of fruit is involved. I was considering using one as my fermenter for a
> lambic beer. How long do people tend to keep the must/wine in one of
> these cans? I assume if it's food-grade, it could handle it
> indefinately. On top of that, is there a way to put a gasket around the
> lid? The style of beer does require some oxygen for part of the
> process, but it would eventually spoil if left like that too long.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

These Rubbermaid Brute containers are only intended for the primary
fermentation phase... they are not meant for long term storage.
Demijohns (as mentioned below) or used beer kegs are the better choice
for the secondary fermentation and aging phases.

The Rubbermaid Brute containers seal as well as the ceramic crocks my
dad used to make his beer in. You can make a gasket out of teflon rope
(from industrial supply companies such as
http://mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PMSECT=2001611 )to get a little better
seal, but you're still not going to get a perfect seal. The plastic
sealing surfaces just aren't stiff enough to hold their shape against
any mechanical distortion, and you'd need to design a clamping ring (ala
drum head clamp ring) to apply the needed force to create the seal.

Good luck.
Gene

wrote:
> Just in case you have trouble finding the container:

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/pr...&rcpNum=2 632

> I'll be buying one this fall for cab- 25 gallons in a 32 gallon
> fermenter is the max I'm told. Once it slows down I'll press it into
> 15 gallon demijons.
>
> Maybe I shouldn't shoot for so much on the 2nd attempts at red wine...
> but you've got to start somewhere right?
>
> Adam Preble wrote:
>
>>In the archives here, I've run into a comments about using a Rubbermaid
>>Brute food-grade garbage can for fermentation, particularly when a pile
>>of fruit is involved. I was considering using one as my fermenter for a
>>lambic beer. How long do people tend to keep the must/wine in one of
>>these cans? I assume if it's food-grade, it could handle it
>>indefinately. On top of that, is there a way to put a gasket around the
>>lid? The style of beer does require some oxygen for part of the
>>process, but it would eventually spoil if left like that too long.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You don't have to be to careful.
My first was a kit , my second was a ton , my third was twelve tons .
Just pay attention and things will be fine . Don't freak out over little
things and let time be your friend.
Greg
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just in case you have trouble finding the container:

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/pr...&rcpNum=2 632

> I'll be buying one this fall for cab- 25 gallons in a 32 gallon
> fermenter is the max I'm told. Once it slows down I'll press it into
> 15 gallon demijons.
>
> Maybe I shouldn't shoot for so much on the 2nd attempts at red wine...
> but you've got to start somewhere right?
>
> Adam Preble wrote:
> > In the archives here, I've run into a comments about using a Rubbermaid
> > Brute food-grade garbage can for fermentation, particularly when a pile
> > of fruit is involved. I was considering using one as my fermenter for a
> > lambic beer. How long do people tend to keep the must/wine in one of
> > these cans? I assume if it's food-grade, it could handle it
> > indefinately. On top of that, is there a way to put a gasket around the
> > lid? The style of beer does require some oxygen for part of the
> > process, but it would eventually spoil if left like that too long.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In one of my wine making books the author seals his brute containers
with duct tape for carbonic maceration.

Adam Preble wrote:
> In the archives here, I've run into a comments about using a Rubbermaid
> Brute food-grade garbage can for fermentation, particularly when a pile
> of fruit is involved. I was considering using one as my fermenter for a
> lambic beer. How long do people tend to keep the must/wine in one of
> these cans? I assume if it's food-grade, it could handle it
> indefinately. On top of that, is there a way to put a gasket around the
> lid? The style of beer does require some oxygen for part of the
> process, but it would eventually spoil if left like that too long.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

greetings! I've used a Brute for a while now. Make sure you get a white one,
NSF approved. Last winter I had a batch of peach wine in primary ferm for 7
weeks w/ a towel & bungees, but that's little use to you. Things that I've
seen or done , as a food service professional, that may be of use:

place the whole (32 gal) brute inside a much larger (55 gal) XHVY clear
food grade utility/trash bag and tie it tight.

use foil: 2 or 3 pcs, dull side to dull, triplefold a seam creased well.
this'll give you a decent seal if you gently unfold it over the vessel.
Start at th seams and crinkle the edges under the barrel lip. NB not your
best choice for acidic items.

of course, there's always sheets of rubberized gasket material from pepboys
& a buttload of c clamps or c jaw visegrips. the material is "relatively"
innocuous... but we've used it & we're still relatively brain damaged

HTH bobdrob

"Adam Preble" > wrote in message
> In the archives here, I've run into a comments about using a Rubbermaid
> Brute food-grade garbage can for fermentation, particularly when a pile of
> fruit is involved. I was considering using one as my fermenter for a
> lambic beer. How long do people tend to keep the must/wine in one of
> these cans? I assume if it's food-grade, it could handle it indefinately.
> On top of that, is there a way to put a gasket around the lid? The style
> of beer does require some oxygen for part of the process, but it would
> eventually spoil if left like that too long.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Adam Preble wrote:
> In the archives here, I've run into a comments about using a Rubbermaid
> Brute food-grade garbage can for fermentation, particularly when a pile
> of fruit is involved. I was considering using one as my fermenter for a
> lambic beer. How long do people tend to keep the must/wine in one of
> these cans? I assume if it's food-grade, it could handle it
> indefinately. On top of that, is there a way to put a gasket around the
> lid? The style of beer does require some oxygen for part of the
> process, but it would eventually spoil if left like that too long.

Yes, they're food grade, come with a lid, and can be purchased with an
optional wheel kit.

I've used them to ferment reds on the skins. When you press the wine
off of the skins, the wine goes into glass, stainless or oak. The
"trash can" is not to be used for long term storage of the wine, just
the initial fermentation of a week or two (or three). There is no
gasket to make it airtight.

You'll need to punch down the "cap" or floating skins several times a
day. Use something that doesn't scratch up the inside of the
container. I use a plastic paddle from an outdoor sporting goods
store.

If you really need a larger fermenter than is usual for beer, consider
a 15, 30, or 55 gallon stainless barrel with a removeable head. They
are airtight, and can be fitted with a bung and airlock. If you don't
need a removeable head, they are even easier to find.

Best of Luck

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Use gray,white or yellow not blue. The blue is one not food grade

ups.com...