Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default announce recipe finished

See the '18' section of my website.

The cheapest wine you can make?

Matthew Suffidy - Ottawa, Canada

(use as printed)
http://matthew.chungus.com
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Matthew,
We can get 6 gallon (US) pails of California wine juice for under $30
in Pittsburgh; PA. It's already balanced as to sugars and acids and
has wild yeast at a level that ferments naturally, it was sulfited at
100 PPM at the pailing house. The most expensive pails have never been
$60.

I do know people who just bring it home, set it in a relatively warm
place and shake the bucket once a day for a few weeks until it quits
hissing. (The pail has a little check valve in the lid.) Then they
let that sit for a month, open the pail and rack it off the sediment.

The first wine I ever made was done this way, it was as good as the
wine I make today although I hate to admit it. I have made a few that
were much better, but most of that was due to the grapes. As far as I
am concerned all we are is caretakers. There was no extra cost,
nothing was added.

I know they sell Regina Juice in Canada, I have seen it on the
musca.com website (and they are in Ottawa). (They may not call it
Regina, that is the pail name for the house.) The packing house is
Lammanuzzi and Pantaleo; Musca may get it in bulk. For the money I
consider it excellent, I've probably made close to 1000 gallons form
their juice over the years. You can certainly make better wine from
grapes but if the goal is good table wine this will do the job.

Joe

http://matthew.chungus.com