FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny? (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/90336-chill-then-fine-fine.html)

[email protected] 02-05-2006 04:31 PM

Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny?

Evening-

I've ~15 gallons of Chardonnay that is ready for the next step- but I'm
unsure what to do. Should I fine the material (very light haze) and
rack into Corny kegs for chilling in a kegerator, or should I chill
first, pump back into a carboy and fine?

I figure the corny kegs will be the easiest method for moving- clean,
sanitized, and easily lifted in and out of the freezer.

Suggestions very much welcome.

Jason

pp 02-05-2006 05:47 PM

wrote:
> Evening-
>
> I've ~15 gallons of Chardonnay that is ready for the next step- but I'm
> unsure what to do. Should I fine the material (very light haze) and
> rack into Corny kegs for chilling in a kegerator, or should I chill
> first, pump back into a carboy and fine?
>
> I figure the corny kegs will be the easiest method for moving- clean,
> sanitized, and easily lifted in and out of the freezer.
>
> Suggestions very much welcome.
>
> Jason

I'd say fine and then chill. That way you can get the bitartrate
crystal crust to sit on top of the fining lees. which makes racking
easier.

Pp

Joe Sallustio 02-05-2006 05:48 PM

Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny?

Jason,
Here are some general guidelines from ECKraus and Zoecklein if you
decide to use bentonite, I usually use that on whites.

A little goes a long way. I would avoid pumping if possible on whites.
Don't throw out the lees, resettle them in a smaller tall container,
the lees are a bit fluffy.

http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-bentonite.html

http://www.fst.vt.edu/extension/enol...entonite01.pdf

Joe

[email protected] 11-05-2006 11:41 PM

Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny?

Thanks Joe-

I added the Betonite about 4 days ago, stirred it as recommended. The
bottom of the demijohn is rather well coated now, but I still have
significant haze. Should I rack off to another demi or would you
recommend leaving it- the third option is to rack to a corny for chill
stabilization.

I picked up a great deal on 0.40 micron steril filter pads from a local
supply shop- that's going to be my final pass.

This chard, to the best of my knowledge, never underwent MLF- and has
no malic acid present.

Joe Sallustio 12-05-2006 01:04 AM

Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny?

If you see haze you will probably bind up that filter quickly, why not
give it more time and see what happens? I have left wine on bentonite
lees for months with no ill effects, others will chime in if that seems
unwise.

Try shining a strong light across the carboy and move it from top to
bottom looking at it at a right angle to the beam. (Don't look directly
into the beam.) If you see more of the beam's outline at the bottom
than at the top, the wine is slowly clearing. You can see a
stratification at times with the beam that you would not pick up with a
naked eye.

Joe

Droopy 12-05-2006 04:26 AM

Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny?

I generally advise to chill then fine. the precipitation of bitartrate
often fines the wine for you.