Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default White ring on top

I have some bottles that I have been bulk ageing and they have developed a
white ring of what looks like something growing at the top of the wine in
the bottle. Is this normal? If not as I understand there should not be
anything that will hurt you that will grow in the wine so, it should be safe
to taste??

Roy

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Roy,
Are the corks OK and was the wine sulfited? White rings are usually an
infection, probably mycoderma if it looks like a film. You need low
sulfite and exposure to air for it to develop. Mycoderma eats alcohol
so you need to get rid of it. The easiest way i know to do that is to
overflow the container, wipe out any remaining residue with a sulfited
paper towel and ensure the sulfite levels are correct. Sulfite can
kill it if that is what it is.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

If you are talking about wine that was 11% or higher, they are safe to
taste. There are no known pathogens that can live in wine. There are
things that can get in wine that will make it taste real bad and they may
make you sick that your wine is ruined but they will not make you really
physically sick.

Ray

. ..