Old 19-04-2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Dandelion

Ok, I'm trying out my first attempt at making dandelion wine. I have
about three cups already and I know I need at least another 4 more in
order to get one gallon going. Does anyone out there have a fast, easy
way to get the petals out of the pod? I just pinch and twist and pull.
I spent two hours for three cups! I hope this stuff tastes good.

Thanks.

Old 20-04-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You can attempt to remove the petals if you like, but it is a very
labor intensive process. I made two batches two years ago, one batch
with just the petals and the other made with the whole flower (stem
removed). I thoroughly enjoyed both, but the difference between the
two was slight at best. The wine made with the whole flower was a
little nicer golden color, it had a bit more body and I personally
preferred it over the wine made with just the petals. BTW, both were
Jack Keller recipes.

Paul

Old 22-04-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Try a pair of scissors. Just trim off the petals. You will not get 100%
but it should be faster.

I haven't made it but a friend made 5 gallons; he used scissor too. It
was unbelievably good. He said it was too much work also but I would
say the end justified the means for once...

Joe

Old 22-04-2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks guys. I ended up getting two quarts to make one gallon. It's a
lot of work and I don't have enough time to do more. We'll see how it
turns out. Figure I'll let it age for a year before I pop one open. I
may just use the grolsh bottles, that way I have more bottles and can
save it longer.

Old 24-04-2006, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 22 Apr 2006 08:23:30 -0700, "Joe Sallustio"
wrote:

Try a pair of scissors. Just trim off the petals. You will not get 100%
but it should be faster.

I haven't made it but a friend made 5 gallons; he used scissor too. It
was unbelievably good. He said it was too much work also but I would
say the end justified the means for once...

Joe

Dandelion is a "hard labor" wine. I made 6 gallons of petal-only and
6 gallons of whole-blossom last year. My two daughters each prefer
different wines. The "whole blosson" wines generally place better in
our State Fair wine tastings.

Later,
A. J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Dandelion leaves Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 32 27-02-2009 07:24 PM
Something to mix with Dandelion leaf M.Melnicki Tea 1 18-02-2006 04:25 PM
Dandelion Woes... Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 26 29-05-2005 05:46 AM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM