Old 30-03-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Cherry Wine

I am thinking of making a cherry melomel this year, but it has been a very
long time since I have done so and I don't remember the best type of cherries
to buy and when they are in season. Also, I really don't know the best honey
to buy for this purpose. Can anybody set me on the right track?

Thanks!

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old 30-03-2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Ken Schramm has a whole chapter on cherry melomels in the Compleat
Meadmaker.

IIRC he prefers sour cherry varieites...and there is a recipe for
Oblacinska cherry melomel in it.

I make mine with cherries off of my grandma's Morello cherry tree
spiked with some dried Bings and fresh raniers

Old 30-03-2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

As you are interested in a melomel you might post on the sister group:
rec.crafts.meadmaking

Supposedly, sour cherries are best if you can get them. Living in south
Texas cherries are not readily available but for about 2 weeks a year sweet
eating cherries drop down to about a $100 a pound. I have made several
batches of cherry wine (6-8 lbs per gallon) with these and they came out
great. They blend very nicely with a robust red grape wine. But when
making melomels I generally cut the fruit at least in half and sometimes
down to 20% of the fruit I would use in regular wine so the fruit does not
completely overpower the honey.

I would not use a real mild honey. Probably something with a little bite so
it can compete with the cherries, but nothing too dark. You do not want a
caramel taste.

Droopy's recommendation is a good one. Pick up a copy of Ken Schramm's
book. I like it because he give an excellent discussion of the character
and advantages of many different kinds of honey and he really covers
methodology rather than recipes.

Ray

ups.com...

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
I am thinking of making a cherry melomel this year, but it has been a
very
long time since I have done so and I don't remember the best type of
cherries
to buy and when they are in season. Also, I really don't know the best
honey
to buy for this purpose. Can anybody set me on the right track?

Thanks!

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Cherry Wine [email protected] Winemaking 0 02-10-2009 09:48 PM
What goes with cherry wine? [email protected] General Cooking 9 10-12-2007 06:58 PM
Cherry wine Dwayne Winemaking 9 26-07-2004 04:14 AM
Is sour cherry wine better than sweet cherry wine? Ray Winemaking 13 13-07-2004 08:08 PM
cherry wine Ronald Gagnier Winemaking 1 29-12-2003 05:01 AM