FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Newbie Q's (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/85484-newbie-qs.html)

Bulletsnbrains 12-03-2006 01:21 AM

Newbie Q's

I made wine 20 years ago with fruit. But my 18 yr old son has convinced me
to get back into winemaking. (Soon beer too) I bought a basic kit from the
wineandhop.com and also purchased a lg #10 can of "Vintner's Harvest
Raspberry" concentrate. I found the directions vague on excatly how much
concentrate to use for a 1 gallon batch. If this can, can make as much as 5
gal, then would I just use 19oz? The directions call out a 3 gal and 5 gal
batch's with the whole can. Any feedback would be welcome.

Could any one point out a FAQ link for this NG?

Brian
Madison,WI

Joe Sallustio 12-03-2006 12:30 PM

Newbie Q's

Brian,
Most of those cans really only make 3 gallons, 5 gallons may be 'thin'.
I have never used that one so a hydrometer would be the way to go.
1.085 make a wine of 11 to 12 %. Going abouve 12% on a country wine is
usaully not recommended as the fruit tends to fall behind the alcohol.

I'll post the link to the FAQ in a new thread along with some other
websitres you may find useful.
Joe

Dar V 12-03-2006 02:10 PM

Newbie Q's

Welcome,
Another Wisconsonite.
Darlene
Germantown, WI

. com...

Bulletsnbrains 12-03-2006 03:45 PM

Newbie Q's

Hi Darlene,

Have you been to the Wine and Hop shop on Monroe St. in Madison? I've seen
in their web site that they also have a vineyard. Just curious how "active"
the club is in the area.

Brian

Bulletsnbrains 12-03-2006 03:48 PM

Newbie Q's

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the tidbit. I have the hydrometer and will base the fruit amount
on the SG.

Brian

oups.com...

A. J. Rawls[_2_] 12-03-2006 09:08 PM

Newbie Q's

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 00:21:41 GMT, "Bulletsnbrains"
wrote:

I made wine 20 years ago with fruit. But my 18 yr old son has convinced me
to get back into winemaking. (Soon beer too) I bought a basic kit from the
wineandhop.com and also purchased a lg #10 can of "Vintner's Harvest
Raspberry" concentrate. I found the directions vague on excatly how much
concentrate to use for a 1 gallon batch. If this can, can make as much as 5
gal, then would I just use 19oz? The directions call out a 3 gal and 5 gal
batch's with the whole can. Any feedback would be welcome.

Could any one point out a FAQ link for this NG?

Brian
Madison,WI

I have used their Strawberry product before. I made 3 gal batches
from each can and the result was outstanding. Good color, plenty of
body and a great nose... It pulled a first place in berry wine in our
State Fair. I have not attempted to make five gallons per can.

Later,
A. J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Dar V 13-03-2006 12:28 AM

Newbie Q's

Brian,
I've heard of it, but I go to the Market Basket in Brookfield for all my
supplies. I don't know much about the wine club there, but if you're close
I'd check into it. There is a wine club on the south side of Milwaukee
County, but I live way up on the north side of Milwaukee in Washington
County. Welcome.
Darlene
Germantown, WI

et...