FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Potassium metabisulfite? (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/85456-potassium-metabisulfite.html)

Crhoff 11-03-2006 12:42 PM

Potassium metabisulfite?

How long can one store made up as a liquid? Seems like making up a standard
solution so that 1 oz equals a campden tablet would work well.

Droopy 11-03-2006 03:58 PM

Potassium metabisulfite?

Crhoff wrote:
> How long can one store made up as a liquid? Seems like making up a standard
> solution so that 1 oz equals a campden tablet would work well.

Stock solutions only last a few months. You will want to make it
strong, like 5%, which is equilivant to 5 tablespoons per quart.

Tom S[_1_] 11-03-2006 08:29 PM

Potassium metabisulfite?

"Crhoff" > wrote in message
> How long can one store made up as a liquid? Seems like making up a
> standard solution so that 1 oz equals a campden tablet would work well.

I make mine a lot stronger than that - more like 220g/l. The stuff is very
reactive with air, so it needs to be stored in a nearly full, tightly sealed
bottle to retain its potency.

20 ml of this solution added to 60 gallons of wine bumps the free SO2 by 10
ppm.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Ric[_1_] 14-03-2006 06:00 PM

Potassium metabisulfite?

I make up a 10% solution - about a liter at a time, and store in brown
chem bottles, tighly closed. Even at that, it appears that the solution
loses strength, so I refresh if older than a month or so - and either
sump or use the older for sanitizing solution.