Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Now I've heard everything: Empty Wine Bottle Retrieval

Morning-

One of my regular suppliers of empty wine bottles told me last night
that they could no longer provide them because the ACB (Alcohol
Controll Board) laws prohibit that. The exact quote -"I just can't
give you empty wine bottles- the ACB laws prohibit that!"

uh huh.

A cursory glance thru the general provisions and the wine provisions,
as well as a search for 'empty' or 'disposal' for NY has shown nothing,
I'm composing an inquiry to them right now as it wouldn't suprise me,
being in NY, that there is a provision tucked away somewhere else.

It's just a sad day for recycling- they don't even bother to seperate
them from the trash... all the bottles end up in the landfill.

Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
bobdrob

Hey, Purdy! sounds like some sort of a ruse to me. During jobs past, I'd
worked for owners who made barmen break empty liquor bottles: crafty
bartenders could refill name brands w/ rotgut, sneak them into the
inventory, charge customers for top shelf, not ring in the sale & then
pocket the loot w/o shorting the inventory. The ostensiblereason was that
"the ABC required it to prevent watering down drinks." No one in the biz
that I've ever met, barkeep nor owner, nor inspector, has mentioned anything
like your circumstance. Wedding mills & off-premise caterers had always been
great resources fro bottle mining. I'd be interested to learn what the ACB
has to say... regards, bobdrob

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Morning-
>
> One of my regular suppliers of empty wine bottles told me last night
> that they could no longer provide them because the ACB (Alcohol
> Controll Board) laws prohibit that. The exact quote -"I just can't
> give you empty wine bottles- the ACB laws prohibit that!"
>
> uh huh.
>
> A cursory glance thru the general provisions and the wine provisions,
> as well as a search for 'empty' or 'disposal' for NY has shown nothing,
> I'm composing an inquiry to them right now as it wouldn't suprise me,
> being in NY, that there is a provision tucked away somewhere else.
>
> It's just a sad day for recycling- they don't even bother to seperate
> them from the trash... all the bottles end up in the landfill.
>
> Jason

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio

Actually I have heard that next door to you in PA; I was told they were
required to break liquor bottles each night before disposal.
Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Roy Boy

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Morning-
>
> One of my regular suppliers of empty wine bottles told me last night
> that they could no longer provide them because the ACB (Alcohol
> Controll Board) laws prohibit that. The exact quote -"I just can't
> give you empty wine bottles- the ACB laws prohibit that!"
>
> uh huh.
>
> A cursory glance thru the general provisions and the wine provisions,
> as well as a search for 'empty' or 'disposal' for NY has shown nothing,
> I'm composing an inquiry to them right now as it wouldn't suprise me,
> being in NY, that there is a provision tucked away somewhere else.
>
> It's just a sad day for recycling- they don't even bother to seperate
> them from the trash... all the bottles end up in the landfill.
>
> Jason

In New Mexico if you have the empty wine or beer bottle where you can reach
it, they can get you for open container.

BTW: recycling paper, plastics, and glass takes more energy and causes more
pollution than just throwing it away. Many cities have feel good programs,
but it all ends up with the other trash.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Tom S

"Roy Boy" > wrote in message
> BTW: recycling paper, plastics, and glass takes more energy and causes
> more pollution than just throwing it away. Many cities have feel good
> programs, but it all ends up with the other trash.

I don't know where you heard that but it's utter hogwash. We've been
recycling here where I live for decades, and believe me we wouldn't if it
were truly more cost effective to dump it into a landfill. In fact, there
are certain types of plastic that are in high demand for recycling because
they make synthetic wallboard from it. Also, landfill space is a shrinking
commodity - especially near large urban centers.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
gene

Yeah, for liquor bottles, but not wine as far as I know

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> Actually I have heard that next door to you in PA; I was told they were
> required to break liquor bottles each night before disposal.
> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
patrick mcdonald

Wow, I think Bloomberg had you brainwashed! *grin*

Tossing it into a can may cost just about nothing and the energy to
re-manufacture from these materials costs money, but you must NEVER believe
that the cost of a remanufactured package from recycled material is more
than from virgin itself.

If you're talking about recycling programs that are established and not
followed, that's an entirely different story. Yeah, if people go through the
motions and the material ends up in a landfill, that's wasted time, effort
and money. If this is the case, the government's refuse program has to get
on many people's a$$es to make sure the program is followed - that is not a
deficiency of the concept of recycling but rather the practice.

Hmmmm, now back onto wine and recycling. Where's an answer to that vinegar
thread? *grin*

Patrick