Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Yeast for Wheat and Barley Wines

In the coming month I plan on trying Jack's recipes for Barley and Wheat
wines(Actually, to be technical, believe both recipes are somoeone else's,
but getting them off of jack's site). Anyway, these recipes do not specify
type of yeast to use(though Jack has another recipe of his own that suggest
Champagne yeast for the wheat wine). Anyone have suggestions on yeasts to
use to make these wines? These recipes all call for 1 year or more of
aging, so would like to ensure that I get a good product out of the batch,
since I won't know for 15 months or more how it turned out. Thanks

Joel

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Droopy

Andy is right, these are for actuall wines, not the strong beer.

Now, Champagne yeast will work fine. You could make it with one of the
highly attenuative beer yeasts as well, like Nottingham.

IN the end they taste a lot like whiskey...but weaker. Like a whiskey
cut with water, but not watered down.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joel Sprague

Thanks you guys. I did realize these were for actual wines, not for a
"barleywine". Or, did now, a fwe weeks ago before I read more I didn't
realize that. I actually brew too, or have done one batch of beer so far,
and will do more later, but with these batches I'm looking to expand my
selection of wines, not beers. I'll stick with the champagne then, simple,
has always worked well for me with a wide variety of recipes, plus it's one
that my LHBS almost always has in stock, which makes it easier.

Joel