Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Adam Preble

Default Straining out fruit chunks and squeezing the rest of their juices

I'm about to rack the cranberry wine that's fermenting. My plan is to
strain out the cranberries and transfer the liquid in steps from a large
pot. I'll then push down on the strain cranberries with small pot lids
and a potato masher to get some more juice out. Could this cause a
release of excess pectin? Is there an oxidation hazard? I'm assuming
there's no oxidation problem since I expect more fermentation from
shaking things up so much--the yeast will take on the new oxygen to make
yeast babies for awhile. Perhaps I should add a little sugar to
guarantee it.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jon Gilliam

Hi Adam,

Here's what I do with wine grapes if I have an average sized (3 or more
gallon) batch, and I think it would work with cranberries. You'll need two
nylon straining bags, a large funnel, and a spare primary fermenter. Leave
the must alone for a day at the very end of the primary fermentation (quit
punching down the cap). You should then have a nice cap formed by the
cranberry skins floating at the top of the primary fermenter.

Fit one of your nylon straining bags into the spare (sanitized) primary
fermenter. Take a pyrex measuring cup and transfer the cranberry skins into
the straining bag, holding the cup against the side of the fermenter so most
of the juice runs out of the cup.

Fit your other nylon strining bag into your large funnel, put the funnel
into the mouth of your carboy, and have some brave soul hold that still for
you. Then, pick up your primary fermenter with the wine in it, and pour it,
carefully and slowly, into the funnel, stopping to lift up on the nylon
straining bag as yeast sediment and seeds will tend to stop it up. As your
wine should still be actively fermenting at this point, the danger from
oxidation is less since the wine quickly surrounds itself with a protective
layer of carbon dioxide.

I've only made cranberry wine once, but as I recall cranberry skins can be
quite bitter, so I don't recommend any mashing. You could maybe gently
squeeze your nylon straining bag in the other fermenter, or better yet just
let it sit for a while, pull out the bag, and pour any juice left behind in
the fermenter into your carboy.

Jon
[Check out my winemaking homepage
http://users.rcn.com/jcgilliam/Southeast_PA_Winemaker/!]

"Adam Preble" > wrote in message
> I'm about to rack the cranberry wine that's fermenting. My plan is to
> strain out the cranberries and transfer the liquid in steps from a large
> pot. I'll then push down on the strain cranberries with small pot lids
> and a potato masher to get some more juice out. Could this cause a
> release of excess pectin? Is there an oxidation hazard? I'm assuming
> there's no oxidation problem since I expect more fermentation from shaking
> things up so much--the yeast will take on the new oxygen to make yeast
> babies for awhile. Perhaps I should add a little sugar to guarantee it.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

I have made cranberry wine and I just pour it through a nylon straining bag,
catching all the skins. Then I twist the neck of the bag tight and mash it
with my hands to get most of the juice out. If you have a small press you
can use that but you can do a pretty good job by pressing with your hands.
Get the job done in a reasonable time and you do not have to worry about
oxidation. (Don't let something interrupt so it takes too long.) You do
not need to add any sugar unless you want to up the alcohol. Cranberry wine
does not need to be high in alcohol.

Ray