Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
mdginzo

Default Specific Gravity Thingie

How do I use this ting? Do I fill a large test tube and float it in
there or just float it in the 1 galoon carboy? Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Charles E

Suggest using a long slender tube if you're fermenting on the skins.
I'm always afraid the skins will "drag" the surface of the hydrometer
and cause a false reading but I might be a little paranoid. Either
method works fine for whites as long as you can easily read the
hydrometer...

Charles

On 8 Dec 2005 19:58:20 -0800, "mdginzo" > wrote:

>How do I use this ting? Do I fill a large test tube and float it in
>there or just float it in the 1 galoon carboy? Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Dar V

You can usually buy a tall thin cylinder for the hydrometer. My test
cylinder takes just a bit less than a cup of the must. After you pour the
must into the cylinder, gently add the hydrometer, spin it carefully in the
middle of the liquid, and then look at where the level of the liquid hits
the hydrometer. Test the must before you add the yeast to get your starting
sg (specific gravity). If you making a country wine, I try to shoot for a
starting sg of 1.084 - 1.092. You can tell the progress of your fermentation
by the sg levels after you add your yeast. If you check it after a few days
and it is about 1.020, then your wine is not quite dry yet. I your sg falls
below 1.000, then your wine is dry, and ready to rack to a secondary. I've
tried floating my hydrometer in the carboy to test the sg, but usually I
have to take liquid out of the carboy to do this, but you really have to be
careful about taking to much out or your hydrometer will touch the bottom of
a 1 gallon carboy, so I quite doing that and bought the test cylinder. Hope
this helps.
Darlene
Wisconsin

"mdginzo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How do I use this ting? Do I fill a large test tube and float it in
> there or just float it in the 1 galoon carboy? Thanks.

specific gravity to alcohol - hydrometer readings scare me. DAve Allison Winemaking 9 15-09-2005 04:57 PM
Please help me to convert from plato to specific gravity. Phil Winemaking 4 24-01-2005 11:44 AM
Specific gravity- timing racking pheasant Winemaking 13 11-01-2005 04:23 PM
specific gravity subflood Winemaking 5 01-11-2004 11:15 PM
Specific Gravity - Primary Fermentation Brandon Winemaking 7 27-04-2004 02:10 AM