Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Sedgewick Halbritton

Default Inexpensive Wine Filling Rack (0/1)

I've built a simple and inexpensive but effective wine filling rack
from common Home Depot materials and thought I might share it with the
group in case others are interested. I'm sure there are many other
better ways to skin this cat but this is just an option. Hopefully the
picture attachments will make it through or this procedure will not
make much sense:

Raw Materials:
8' PVC pipe (use 3" or 4" diameter depending on bottle size)
2 90 degree PVC elbows
2 PVC closet rings (I think these are used to mount toilets to
subfloors)
1 small can PVC cleaner
1 small can PVC glue
2 pieces of 1.5' long scrap wood

Tools:
hacksaw
string
2.5" or 3" diameter hole saw or drill (depends on your bottle
diameter)
pilot drill or nail
tape measure

Raw Materials Cost = $20 (approximately)
Time To Build = 2 hours

1. Cut PVC pipe to approximately 6' length
2. Cut a small slot into each end of pipe (across diameter through
pipe centerline). Try to keep slots coplanar across pipe length
3. Wrap string around pipe length and pull taught using slots to hold
and guide string.
4. Using string as a guide, start 6" from end of pipe and mark a tick
every 4 inches until 12 ticks have been marked on both sides of pipe
length. If done correctly, you should have 12 sets of ticks (on
opposite sides of pipe) exactly 180 degrees from one another.
5. Use a nail or pilot drill to make a small hole or indentation
through each tick mark.
6. Use hole saw or drill or cut 2.5" or 3" holes through each pilot
hole (depending on your bottle diamter. When finished, your wine
bottle should slide freely but not rotate very much through each hole
set in pipe.
7. Permanently mount closet rings to scrap wood support bases (2)
using nails or wood screws.
8. Permanently mount 90 degree elbows(2) to each end of PVC pipe using
PVC cleaner and PVC glue. Try to keep elbows parallel to each other
and perpendicular to hole sets in PVC pipe.
9. Slide PVC / elbow assembly onto support bases and secure with a
single removable screw (1 screw on each side of pipe through elbow
shoulder into PVC pipe) to keep pipe / elbow assembly from rotating
while filling and corking wine bottles (if using hand corker).
10. Done! See attached pics for visual aids...

I hope this helps to improve someone else's winemaking operation.
Please let me know if this works out for others. I can be reached via
email at . Just remove the "nospam" part of
my email address.

Thanks,
Charles Erwin
Huntsville, AL

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Sedgewick Halbritton

Looks like the picture attachments didn't make it. I'll try to send a
link late tomorrow evening with a web address where everyone can see
them. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Thanks,
Charlie

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:31:26 -0600, Sedgewick Halbritton
> [...]

>set in pipe.
>7. Permanently mount closet rings to scrap wood support bases (2)
>using nails or wood screws.
>8. Permanently mount 90 degree elbows(2) to each end of PVC pipe using
>PVC cleaner and PVC glue. Try to keep elbows parallel to each other
>and perpendicular to hole sets in PVC pipe.
>9. Slide PVC / elbow assembly onto support bases and secure with a
>single removable screw (1 screw on each side of pipe through elbow
>shoulder into PVC pipe) to keep pipe / elbow assembly from rotating
>while filling and corking wine bottles (if using hand corker).
>10. Done! See attached pics for visual aids...
>
>I hope this helps to improve someone else's winemaking operation.
>Please let me know if this works out for others. I can be reached via
>email at . Just remove the "nospam" part of

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Sedgewick Halbritton

Default Inexpensive Wine Filling Rack - Pictures

Check out the following links for the pics I was referring to in these
instructions:

http://www.knology.net/~erwincm/Filling%20Rack%201.JPG
http://www.knology.net/~erwincm/Filling%20Rack%202.JPG

> [...]

>set in pipe.
>7. Permanently mount closet rings to scrap wood support bases (2)
>using nails or wood screws.
>8. Permanently mount 90 degree elbows(2) to each end of PVC pipe using
>PVC cleaner and PVC glue. Try to keep elbows parallel to each other
>and perpendicular to hole sets in PVC pipe.
>9. Slide PVC / elbow assembly onto support bases and secure with a
>single removable screw (1 screw on each side of pipe through elbow
>shoulder into PVC pipe) to keep pipe / elbow assembly from rotating
>while filling and corking wine bottles (if using hand corker).
>10. Done! See attached pics for visual aids...
>
>I hope this helps to improve someone else's winemaking operation.
>Please let me know if this works out for others. I can be reached via
>email at . Just remove the "nospam" part of

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
bobdrob

hi sedge- looks impressive! do you have or did you fabricate a 12 schnozzle
filling aparatus? THAT would simplify our operation... regards, bobdrob
"Sedgewick Halbritton" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>set in pipe.
>>7. Permanently mount closet rings to scrap wood support bases (2)
>>using nails or wood screws.
>>8. Permanently mount 90 degree elbows(2) to each end of PVC pipe using
>>PVC cleaner and PVC glue. Try to keep elbows parallel to each other
>>and perpendicular to hole sets in PVC pipe.
>>9. Slide PVC / elbow assembly onto support bases and secure with a
>>single removable screw (1 screw on each side of pipe through elbow
>>shoulder into PVC pipe) to keep pipe / elbow assembly from rotating
>>while filling and corking wine bottles (if using hand corker).
>>10. Done! See attached pics for visual aids...
>>
>>I hope this helps to improve someone else's winemaking operation.
>>Please let me know if this works out for others. I can be reached via
>>email at . Just remove the "nospam" part of

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Charles E

Still working on that one ;-)

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:33:34 -0500, "bobdrob"
> wrote:

>hi sedge- looks impressive! do you have or did you fabricate a 12 schnozzle
>filling aparatus? THAT would simplify our operation... regards, bobdrob
>"Sedgewick Halbritton" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
>>>set in pipe.
>>>7. Permanently mount closet rings to scrap wood support bases (2)
>>>using nails or wood screws.
>>>8. Permanently mount 90 degree elbows(2) to each end of PVC pipe using
>>>PVC cleaner and PVC glue. Try to keep elbows parallel to each other
>>>and perpendicular to hole sets in PVC pipe.
>>>9. Slide PVC / elbow assembly onto support bases and secure with a
>>>single removable screw (1 screw on each side of pipe through elbow
>>>shoulder into PVC pipe) to keep pipe / elbow assembly from rotating
>>>while filling and corking wine bottles (if using hand corker).
>>>10. Done! See attached pics for visual aids...
>>>
>>>I hope this helps to improve someone else's winemaking operation.
>>>Please let me know if this works out for others. I can be reached via
>>>email at . Just remove the "nospam" part of

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Marty Phee

Is that an argon tank on the wall?

Sedgewick Halbritton wrote:
> I've built a simple and inexpensive but effective wine filling rack
> from common Home Depot materials and thought I might share it with the
> group in case others are interested. I'm sure there are many other
> better ways to skin this cat but this is just an option. Hopefully the
> picture attachments will make it through or this procedure will not
> make much sense:

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Charles E

Yes. You are very observant! I practice the liberal use of Argon. Had
a bad spoilage experience some years ago and now take no chances. It
helps me sleep at night even though the group finds its merits
debatable.

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:37:35 GMT, Marty Phee