Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Fortifying concord wine with brandy

Has anyone ever fortified a rather flat concord wine with brandy? I
checked the archives but I don't find anything pertinent. I have a 3
gal batch which has probably aged a year. It has been stabilized and
sweetened but ends up tasting like Welch's grape juice. I didn't
bother recording the starting or ending SG as it was just a "play wine"
made with some concord grapes a friend had dropped off. I'd like to
bottle a halfway decent product and am toying with providing at least a
little kick with brandy. Thanks in advance for your input....

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

If it is flat, maybe it needs a little acid. Lack of acid is what is
normally described as flat.

I have fortified with several things but never brandy. It tends to be
expensive. Yes you could buy cheap (or cheaper) brandy but then you are
blending a wine that has a flaw with a brandy that has a flaw (tastes
cheap). Blending two bad wines will generally end up with a larger quantity
of bad wine. I am sure brandy is the same.

Ray

oups.com...