Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joel Sprague

Default Cranberry Wine from Juice - Recipes?

My sister has asked me for wines made from cranberries, any sort I might
find. I'm looking to do a batch or two from Welch's 100% White-Grape
Cranberry, and I will also be using Jack's Cran-raspberry reccipe from his
site. But I was looking for any other suggestions, and also wondering iuf
anyone had a recipe for straight cranberry juice, either using frozen
concentrate(probably welch's again), or using 100% pure orgrnic juice from
the bottle purchased at local natural foods store.

Joel

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Droopy

Be carefull, the frozen concentrate is not 100% cranberry. Read the
ingredients.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

You are already looking at Jack's recipes. Check out his high-bush
cranberry recipe

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/highbush.asp

Cranberries are cheap this time of year and easy to process for wine.

I have made it and I think a number of others have as well. Cranberry makes
an excellent wine. A few comments are that cranberry is a powerful taste.
When I make it again I plan to cut the fruit in half and substitute a can of
frozen Welch's Niagara. But that is my plan. You might want to make it as
give the first time.

Another comment, and this pertains to many of Jack's recipes, is that it is
designed to yield 1 gallon of wine, not fill a 1 gallon carboy. If you
multiply it by 6 to set up a 6 gallon carboy you may well end up with 9
gallons of must. But after you rack off the fruit and then off the
sediment you will probably end up with about 6 gallons. Just don't be
surprised.

Ray

"Joel Sprague" > wrote in message
> My sister has asked me for wines made from cranberries, any sort I might
> find. I'm looking to do a batch or two from Welch's 100% White-Grape
> Cranberry, and I will also be using Jack's Cran-raspberry reccipe from his
> site. But I was looking for any other suggestions, and also wondering iuf
> anyone had a recipe for straight cranberry juice, either using frozen
> concentrate(probably welch's again), or using 100% pure orgrnic juice from
> the bottle purchased at local natural foods store.
>
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Joel

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks for the tip on the 1 gallon part, though I did pick that one up a
while ago. Part of reason I ended up buying this 2 gallon stock pot for a
primary(and actually probably going to go one size bigger, as the Pumpkin
and ZUcchini recipes still almost fillt his, so a couple of times have had
some foam out the top when I was punching it down). Definitely an important
bit of info though for those who haven't caught it yet using his
recipes(Obviously, not as much of an issue if you're using any of his
recipes that are juice only. Will see about finding good source of
cranberries locally though, or uisng some of the cans of cranberries for
juicemaking(think they were from Oregon Fruit company) that local brew shop
carries. I did find a recipe for using juice too, had to go by brew shop
for yeast anyway, and a couple of books there had recipes for cranberry wine
from juice, so picked one up.

Joel

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
om...
> You are already looking at Jack's recipes. Check out his high-bush
> cranberry recipe
>
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/highbush.asp
>
> Cranberries are cheap this time of year and easy to process for wine.
>
> I have made it and I think a number of others have as well. Cranberry
> makes an excellent wine. A few comments are that cranberry is a powerful
> taste. When I make it again I plan to cut the fruit in half and substitute
> a can of frozen Welch's Niagara. But that is my plan. You might want to
> make it as give the first time.
>
> Another comment, and this pertains to many of Jack's recipes, is that it
> is designed to yield 1 gallon of wine, not fill a 1 gallon carboy. If you
> multiply it by 6 to set up a 6 gallon carboy you may well end up with 9
> gallons of must. But after you rack off the fruit and then off the
> sediment you will probably end up with about 6 gallons. Just don't be
> surprised.
>
> Ray
>
> "Joel Sprague" > wrote in message
>> My sister has asked me for wines made from cranberries, any sort I might
>> find. I'm looking to do a batch or two from Welch's 100% White-Grape
>> Cranberry, and I will also be using Jack's Cran-raspberry reccipe from
>> his
>> site. But I was looking for any other suggestions, and also wondering
>> iuf
>> anyone had a recipe for straight cranberry juice, either using frozen
>> concentrate(probably welch's again), or using 100% pure orgrnic juice
>> from
>> the bottle purchased at local natural foods store.
>>
>> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Joel

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I made a 5 gal batch of wine from Welch's 100% Cranberry last year. I
basically followed Jack's Cran-Raspberry wine recipe. It turned out
very well, but it was a bit thin and light-bodied. So at the end I
added a half can of Welch's white grape concentrate and a half can of
Welch's cranberry concentrate, then sweetened it with sugar syrup to
taste. I just make it as a novelty wine for the neighbors this time of
year, there's no way I could drink 25 bottles of cranberry wine.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Adam Preble

Joel Sprague wrote:
> My sister has asked me for wines made from cranberries, any sort I might
> find. I'm looking to do a batch or two from Welch's 100% White-Grape
> Cranberry, and I will also be using Jack's Cran-raspberry reccipe from his
> site. But I was looking for any other suggestions, and also wondering iuf
> anyone had a recipe for straight cranberry juice, either using frozen
> concentrate(probably welch's again), or using 100% pure orgrnic juice from
> the bottle purchased at local natural foods store.
>
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Joel

I will post a recipe I drummed up to use up a gallon of Ocean Spray
cranberry juice I got at Big Lots. the result was lighter in color,
like a blush. It is very tart, which came from having too much acidity
I think. I have some suggestions I'll add after the recipe. I'm hoping
somebody can give me some suggestions on using real cranberries since I
got 6 pounds of them. I do like cranberry wine.

Ocean Spray Cranberry Wine Experiment
Ingredients:
1 gallon Ocean Spray cranberry juice. Go mine in a jug that doubled as
the fermenter.
1.5 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
One packet red wine yeast. I used Red Star Pasteur Red.
1 tsp bentonite (?) I don't have the quantity written but I'm sure I
added it. I wanted faster results so I used that as a clarifying agent.

Take away two cups of cranberry juice, along with a tablespoon of sugar,
to create a starter for the yeast. With the starter going, warm the
cranberry juice in a pot in order to quicken transferring all that
sugar. Don't boil. Introduce all the sugar, blend, enzyme, nutrient,
and bentonite. Stir vigorously until dissolved and homogenous. When I
used the original container as a carboy, I had leftover liquid. You'll
want to take some juice out before adding yeast if you use such a small
container.

I don't have the SG measurements since I started this before I began
recording that kind of thing. I started the process on 8/27, racked in
September, and bottled towards the end of October. During secondary
fermentation, I kepted it in my kegerator at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I
noticed how a lot of red stuff had settled to the bottom of the
containers I was using.

My post-mortem advice after the fact would be to take away the acids. I
don't think the juice needs it. I was satisfied with everything else,
but I wonder if I can expect the same color from real cranberries.

The resulting flavor has the unique tartness of cranberries, although
there still is a touch of cranberry to the flavor. IMO it came out dry.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Bob Bart

Here's a recipe for some Cranberry wine that I am making now, won't know how
it turns out for a couple months

CRANBERRY WINE

· 3 pounds cranberries, fresh
· 1 pound raisins
· 2.5 pounds granulated sugar
· 1 campden tablet
· 1/2 teaspoon nutrients (yeast energizer)
· 1/2 teaspoon dry pectic enzyme (3 drops liquid)
· 3/4 teaspoon acid blend
· 1 package wine yeast (Montrachet)
· 1 Gallon of water

Chop cranberries coarsely. The goal here is the break the skin on every
berry to help the juice leach into the water. Place them in mesh bag and in
the primary fermentor with raisins
Boil water & sugar let cool for (1) hour and pour over fruit.
Let cool and add crushed Camden tablet
Wait for (12) hours and add pectic enzyme (make sure it is less than 75
deg.)
Check S.G. and adjust sugar, Should be 1.080-1.095
Add yeast starter and mix in well. Cover primary fermentor with cloth. Stir
daily for five -seven days. At 70deg.
When the S.G. reaches 1.030 strain fruit, squeezing out as much juice as
possible. Stir and mix up lees and put into secondary fermentor, and place
airlock on the bottle. (Do not splash the wine during this step)
Let stand at 60-65 deg until it stops bubbling and the S.G. is .998 4-6
weeks

Bart

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Cbcooper21