Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann

Default Grape Trellis: Need Earth Anchors in Central MD

Bruce_Nolte_N3LSY& wrote:

> I am building 4 trellises for my vines using a high-tensile steel wire
> fencing system using angled deadman poles and earth anchors to maintain
> tension. I have completed 2 trellises, and have partially completed the
> other 2, but am short 4 earth anchors I will need to finish the job. The
> local TSC, the only known source for earth anchors in the area has been
> out of the 40 inch shaft, 4 inch auger anchors I was using for the
> first two trellises for a couple of months. They did have some 48 inch
> anchors with 6 inch augers, but they are overkill for 100 foot
> trellises, and would be difficult to install in the rocky soil around
> here, but I might consider them as a last resort. I have also tried Home
> Depot, Southern States, etc, but no luck.
>
> There is a bit of urgency in getting these done before winter hits, my
> vines have been in the ground a season trained on tomato stakes, and I
> would like to not have to worry about the trellises come springtime. If
> anyone knows of a source for these things in the Baltimore area or has a
> few they can spare let me know.

Might want to try he
http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bruce.

You know those green fence holders that are used with the wire fence???
You can but them at Home Depot. I have bought the 4 ft ones and cut
them in half and drove them 2 ft into the ground. They don't move and
they have holes that you can tie your wires to. With 100ft trellis
that's all you'll need.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Steve Landis

Bruce_Nolte_N3LSY& wrote:
> I am building 4 trellises for my vines using a high-tensile steel wire
> fencing system using angled deadman poles and earth anchors to maintain
> tension. I have completed 2 trellises, and have partially completed the
> other 2, but am short 4 earth anchors I will need to finish the job. The
> local TSC, the only known source for earth anchors in the area has been
> out of the 40 inch shaft, 4 inch auger anchors I was using for the
> first two trellises for a couple of months. They did have some 48 inch
> anchors with 6 inch augers, but they are overkill for 100 foot
> trellises, and would be difficult to install in the rocky soil around
> here, but I might consider them as a last resort. I have also tried Home
> Depot, Southern States, etc, but no luck.
>
> There is a bit of urgency in getting these done before winter hits, my
> vines have been in the ground a season trained on tomato stakes, and I
> would like to not have to worry about the trellises come springtime. If
> anyone knows of a source for these things in the Baltimore area or has a
> few they can spare let me know.

You could try here... http://www.spectrellising.com/index.php

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
STEPHEN PEEK

Find a mobile home moving service, they should have anchors & the equipment
to install them.
Steve
"Steve Landis" <sdotlandis@comcastdotnet> wrote in message
> Bruce_Nolte_N3LSY& wrote:
>> I am building 4 trellises for my vines using a high-tensile steel wire
>> fencing system using angled deadman poles and earth anchors to maintain
>> tension. I have completed 2 trellises, and have partially completed the
>> other 2, but am short 4 earth anchors I will need to finish the job. The
>> local TSC, the only known source for earth anchors in the area has been
>> out of the 40 inch shaft, 4 inch auger anchors I was using for the first
>> two trellises for a couple of months. They did have some 48 inch anchors
>> with 6 inch augers, but they are overkill for 100 foot trellises, and
>> would be difficult to install in the rocky soil around here, but I might
>> consider them as a last resort. I have also tried Home Depot, Southern
>> States, etc, but no luck.
>>
>> There is a bit of urgency in getting these done before winter hits, my
>> vines have been in the ground a season trained on tomato stakes, and I
>> would like to not have to worry about the trellises come springtime. If
>> anyone knows of a source for these things in the Baltimore area or has a
>> few they can spare let me know.

> You could try here... http://www.spectrellising.com/index.php
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Bruce_Nolte_N3LSY&

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
> Bruce_Nolte_N3LSY& wrote:
>

>>I am building 4 trellises for my vines using a high-tensile steel wire
>>fencing system using angled deadman poles and earth anchors to maintain
>>tension.

> Might want to try he
> http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/

I looked at http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/ and decided to get my
anchors from them. Price was reasonable, a buck cheaper than TSC,
(though shipping will probably eat that up), and I liked their selection
of stuff. Got 8 of them, so I will have them available when I do a
couple more trellises next year.