Roy Boy

Default Smell

I was reading the post, "Help! funny smell" and I am wondering about the
smell of the first batch of wine I made. The batch is a red or burgundy. I
believe the plant is a cross between a Isabella and a Couderc Noir.

I have racked it three times and each time the yeast on the bottom has a bad
smell and there is a light smell of the yeast in the wine.

I have a white wine I have done only three racks and do not have this smell
in the yeast.

Both wines are almost clear. Should I be worried about the red wine?

wine takes time.i am new at winemaking too. the wine i made in
early june was stinky. but improved greatly when i bottled it a couple
weeks ago.everything ive read here said this is normal and will improve
with age. lucas

Roy Boy

I just don't want to have the problem that they were talking about that you
can fix if you catch it in time and your wine is bad if you don't.

> wrote in message
> wine takes time.i am new at winemaking too. the wine i made in
> early june was stinky. but improved greatly when i bottled it a couple
> weeks ago.everything ive read here said this is normal and will improve
> with age. lucas
>
> http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm

Joe Giller

Roy,
What yeast did you use? Describe the smell more. Is it like vinegar,
rotten eggs, nail polish remover????

Joe

Roy Boy wrote:

> I was reading the post, "Help! funny smell" and I am wondering about the
> smell of the first batch of wine I made. The batch is a red or burgundy. I
> believe the plant is a cross between a Isabella and a Couderc Noir.
>
> I have racked it three times and each time the yeast on the bottom has a bad
> smell and there is a light smell of the yeast in the wine.
>
> I have a white wine I have done only three racks and do not have this smell
> in the yeast.
>
> Both wines are almost clear. Should I be worried about the red wine?

Roy Boy

It smells like it did when it was fermenting. It is kind of a musty smell.
The instructions that I was going by did not say anything about a ML
fermentation. I am wondering if maybe it is the acid, because the white
wines do not have this smell.

"Joe Giller" > wrote in message
.. .
> Roy,
> What yeast did you use? Describe the smell more. Is it like vinegar,
> rotten eggs, nail polish remover????
>
> Joe
>
> Roy Boy wrote:
>
>> I was reading the post, "Help! funny smell" and I am wondering about the
>> smell of the first batch of wine I made. The batch is a red or burgundy.
>> I believe the plant is a cross between a Isabella and a Couderc Noir.
>>
>> I have racked it three times and each time the yeast on the bottom has a
>> bad smell and there is a light smell of the yeast in the wine.
>>
>> I have a white wine I have done only three racks and do not have this
>> smell in the yeast.
>>
>> Both wines are almost clear. Should I be worried about the red wine?

DAve Allison

I am new to wine making. I've made 6 gallons of Shiraz and 6 of Pinot
Noir using kits. Both wines are in the 1-3 month bottling hold time. But
when I bottled them, it WAS a fermenting musty smell.(they were totally
done fermenting) The taste was great, better than my favorite store
bought, but the store bought had a better nose. It was not rotten, or
earthy or stinky, just a little like the must spell while in carboys. I
am hoping with age, this gets better.
Is it normal for wines to taste better than they smell when you are
bottling them?
I am now into a 6 gallon Cranberry wine from juice and berries. And man,
the smell is heavenly and the taste, though sweet since it's only 5%
alchohol so far, is great. But that is cranberries (with 2 cans of welch
white concentrate).
I also have a 1 gallon Welch's concord under way - and it smells great.
Taste is like grape juice, but it's only been a few days.

So if anyone knows if shiraz and Pinot Noir or red wines have a poor
nose upon bottling, but typically get better, that would help. thoughts?
DAve

Roy Boy wrote:
> It smells like it did when it was fermenting. It is kind of a musty smell.
> The instructions that I was going by did not say anything about a ML
> fermentation. I am wondering if maybe it is the acid, because the white
> wines do not have this smell.
>

> "Joe Giller" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>Roy,
>>What yeast did you use? Describe the smell more. Is it like vinegar,
>>rotten eggs, nail polish remover????
>>
>>Joe
>>
>>Roy Boy wrote:
>>

>>>I was reading the post, "Help! funny smell" and I am wondering about the
>>>smell of the first batch of wine I made. The batch is a red or burgundy.
>>>I believe the plant is a cross between a Isabella and a Couderc Noir.
>>>
>>>I have racked it three times and each time the yeast on the bottom has a
>>>bad smell and there is a light smell of the yeast in the wine.
>>>
>>>I have a white wine I have done only three racks and do not have this
>>>smell in the yeast.
>>>
>>>Both wines are almost clear. Should I be worried about the red wine?

Roy Boy

I made this wine from grapes off the vine. It does taste good for a young
wine, but there is no way I would serve this to anyone else with the smell.

The wine I made from a blush grape (type unknown) I took from my brothers
vines does not have this smell after the second racking. The water melon
wine that has only been racked once has the smell. The reason I question if
something is wrong is because the red wine is clear and I have not had any
settlement after the last racking. I would think if it was the yeast, it
would of gone with the yeast.

The new tea smell Space Cowboy Tea 4 15-11-2009 12:19 AM
Smell VVizard Sourdough 9 20-01-2006 06:06 AM
So Near and yet So Far...(I could almost SMELL the que from 20,000 feet) Chef Juke Barbecue 11 29-10-2005 11:52 PM
what is that smell billb Winemaking 14 18-06-2004 11:24 PM
Gas Smell Chip Barbecue 9 01-12-2003 02:15 PM