FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Along the same lines as my tartarate question (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/70173-along-same-lines-my.html)

Robert Lewis 19-09-2005 12:08 AM

Along the same lines as my tartarate question

Which is more/less likely to oxidize while bottling:

refrigerated wine or room temp wine?

This hasn't been an issue for me, but am just curious.

Robert

Tom S 19-09-2005 04:39 AM

"Robert Lewis" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Which is more/less likely to oxidize while bottling:
>
> refrigerated wine or room temp wine?

Refrigerated. Gases are more soluble in colder liquids.

Tom S

Robert Lewis 19-09-2005 02:30 PM

I'm sorry, I do not understand. Let me rephrase my question. Will a
refrigerated wine (in carboy) be more apt to oxidize while bottling than a
room temp wine?

Thanks for your patience.

RTL

.. .

Ray Calvert 19-09-2005 08:18 PM

Tom answered you correctly. If gas dissolves in cold liquid better, it will
oxidize better (or worse for the winemaker).

Also, if you bottle cold wine and then store at room temperature you may
find corks pushing out or bottle breakage due pressure as the contents warm
and expand.

Ray