Default I live in Texas->no basement. How do I store wine?

Hi,

I'm getting ready to make my first batch of wine. The problem that I'm
trying to solve is how to store the wine. The book that I read on
winemaking ("From Vines to Wines") suggests that red wine should be
stored at around 60 F. It's always warm here in Texas, and we don't
have a basement. By the way, my batches will be small: the first one
will be about 3.5-4 gallons, that means 17-20 bottles. It's not like
I'm gonna be storing hundreds of bottles. I could take up a closet or
some cabinets in the kitchen, but how do I keep it cool? Is there any
kind of mini air conditioner that I can buy to keep a small space at
around 60 F? Also, my budget is very tight, so I can't just go and
spend hundreds of dollars on some nice equipment. Most likely it will
have to be do-it-yourself.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bret

Keep it in your living area. 72-76 is not a problem for your wines.
They may age a little faster than those stores at cellar temps, but
that'd be all.

I have made hundreds of gallons of wine and stored it at the
70-something my house stays at.

Its never been a problem here.

-b

Ray Calvert

I live in Texas also and store my wine in my living area as stated above.
No problem. In fact, I made wine before I had A/C when temperatures would
go over 100 in the storage area. Bad storage but the wine could be made. I
just needed to drink it up before it was much over a year old.

Just do it the first few times. Worry about the details in the future after
you learn the basics.

Ray in Houston.

"Bret" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Keep it in your living area. 72-76 is not a problem for your wines.
> They may age a little faster than those stores at cellar temps, but
> that'd be all.
>
> I have made hundreds of gallons of wine and stored it at the
> 70-something my house stays at.
>

> Its never been a problem here.
>
> -b

Opening a Wine Store - any store owners out there to share theexperience? Wine For Newbies Wine 16 02-02-2008 06:37 PM
Texas Wine Ed Rasimus Wine 8 12-02-2007 10:52 PM
Build The Ideal Wine Cellar To Store Your Wine In Optimum Condition kari preston Winemaking 0 03-11-2006 09:59 AM
Build The Ideal Wine Cellar To Store Your Wine In Optimum Condition kari preston Wine 0 03-11-2006 09:58 AM
How To Build The Ideal Wine Cellar To Store Your Wine In Optimum Condition [email protected] Winemaking 1 20-12-2005 02:27 PM