Jambo

Default POLL : To bottle or "bulk age(in carboy)" your wine?

I'd like some opinions, pros and cons for both, if you have any
you'd like to share.. thanx all!

KJ

My understanding is that the two different agin's contribute to different
aspects of taste, and that different wines will benefit more from either
one(or to be exact, from a different combination of the two). I can't
remember exactly what the two agings are supposed to help off the top of my
head though, hopefully someone else will be able to help with the specifics.

Joel

"Jambo" > wrote in message
> I'd like some opinions, pros and cons for both, if you have any
> you'd like to share.. thanx all!
>
> KJ

Rob

I'll let others be more scientific, but in general, bulk aging allows
for a more consistent batch of wine. Since no matter what you do, each
bottle will age (and therefore taste) different over time, the longer
all the wine is together, the more consistent it will be.

I've also found it's easier to age the wine properly if it's in a
carboy, as it's a lot harder to pull off a dinner's worth of glasses.

Rob

Jambo wrote:
> I'd like some opinions, pros and cons for both, if you have any
> you'd like to share.. thanx all!
>
> KJ

Ray Calvert

Yes, bulk aging does tend to yield a more consistent wine and that is
usually desirable. One would like to know what to expect when he opened the
10th bottle of wine from a batch. But there is another reason. A small
amount of wine, like a bottle, will be effected by temperature more. If you
keep your wine in controlled temperature, this may not be important; but if
you keep it at room temperature it may be. A room goes up and down in
temperature, day to night or over the range the AC is set at. A bottle is a
small amount and will change temperature faster and be effected by
temperature change. A large amount takes longer to change temperature and
will be effected less. Temperature change may be more detrimental than the
wrong temperature. I have heard people at wineries say that a 750 ml bottle
will age differently than a magnum because of this.

Ray
"Rob" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll let others be more scientific, but in general, bulk aging allows
> for a more consistent batch of wine. Since no matter what you do, each
> bottle will age (and therefore taste) different over time, the longer
> all the wine is together, the more consistent it will be.
>
> I've also found it's easier to age the wine properly if it's in a
> carboy, as it's a lot harder to pull off a dinner's worth of glasses.
>
> Rob
>

> Jambo wrote:
>> I'd like some opinions, pros and cons for both, if you have any
>> you'd like to share.. thanx all!
>>
>> KJ

ernie

Bulk age until the next season's grapes are here. I have nine carboys
of '04 right now and will bottle in about three weeks. There's just not
enough room to keep eighteen or more carboys around. The only problem
I've had is tartrate sediment, nothing serious.

--
ernie San Francisco Bay AVA
California, USA

Robin Somes

In message >, Jambo
> writes
>I'd like some opinions, pros and cons for both, if you have any you'd
>like to share.. thanx all!

Pros: simple logistics, from my point of view. I make about 25 gallons
of wine in a season; work and home life mean I simply wouldn't have time
to bottle them all promptly, even if I wanted to, nor do I want to
collect and wash all those bottles at once...

As it is, I can collect wine bottles from my friends, wash 2 or 3 a
night with the regular washing-up, plug them with a roll of kitchen
towel, and store them till I feel like bottling. That way, it doesn't
become a chore. Once in a while through the winter, I do some racking,
if I can be bothered. Then I start bottling about March, and use up as
many bottles as I've got clean. Drink a few bottles and re-wash them,
collect more from my chums, and do another couple of demi-johns. In a
couple of weeks time, I'll bottle the last of the damson that I made
last August, and it'll be time to start all over again.

Cons, I really can't think of any.

Works for me...

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
Trevor A Panther

Ray is spot on ---- as he often is! Fluctuating temperature has a
condsiderable effect on aging wines.

Certainly if you have a real cellar that is temperature stable, with no more
than a few degrees variation, then bottle aging and bulk aging will tend to
be the same.
However very few amateur vintners have the luxury of such a cellar and we
store as and when we can. That being so, and where the aging wine has to
endure a larger range of fluctuating temperature, then bulk aging is much to
be prefered since the larger volume of wine is inherently more resistant to
temperature change.

Ray Calvert

Just a comment Trevor (and welcome back). I was touring a large winery in
California. They of course did have temperature controlled storage. They
had us taste the same wine bottled in 750, 1.500 and 3.00 litter bottles.
The larger the bottle, the smoother the wine tasted. They just said wine
aged in larger bottles is better. But they were storing them in temperature
controlled areas. I know this contradicts even what I have said and I have
no suggested explanation.

Ray

"Trevor A Panther" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Ray is spot on ---- as he often is! Fluctuating temperature has a
> condsiderable effect on aging wines.
>
> Certainly if you have a real cellar that is temperature stable, with no
> more
> than a few degrees variation, then bottle aging and bulk aging will tend
> be the same.
> However very few amateur vintners have the luxury of such a cellar and we
> store as and when we can. That being so, and where the aging wine has to
> endure a larger range of fluctuating temperature, then bulk aging is much
> be prefered since the larger volume of wine is inherently more resistant
> temperature change.

Paul E. Lehmann

Ray Calvert wrote:

> Just a comment Trevor (and welcome back). I was touring a large winery in
> California. They of course did have temperature controlled storage. They
> had us taste the same wine bottled in 750, 1.500 and 3.00 litter bottles.
> The larger the bottle, the smoother the wine tasted. They just said wine
> aged in larger bottles is better. But they were storing them in
> temperature
> controlled areas. I know this contradicts even what I have said and I
> have no suggested explanation.
>
> Ray

Even bottled wine will experience some ullage. Perhaps there was more air
space in the smaller bottles relative to the volume than in the bigger
bottles. - I don't really know - merely a guess.