fred

Default Old wine (newbie)

Hi Group,

I have some blackcurrant bushes and a few years ago I made some wine (2
gallons). Unfortunately I got side tracked and the wine got left in the
demijohns ever since. Any way, I today I decided to have another go with
this years crop and before I emptied the old wine down the drain to reuse
the vessels I thought I would pour a glass.

The wine tasted a bit like port and is a golden colour and very clear.

Do you think it still has any alcohol in it and could it be safe to drink?

--
Regards
Bri Newsome

Tom S

"fred" > wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> I have some blackcurrant bushes and a few years ago I made some wine (2
> gallons). Unfortunately I got side tracked and the wine got left in the
> demijohns ever since. Any way, I today I decided to have another go with
> this years crop and before I emptied the old wine down the drain to reuse
> the vessels I thought I would pour a glass.
>
> The wine tasted a bit like port and is a golden colour and very clear.
>
> Do you think it still has any alcohol in it and could it be safe to drink?

Since wine does not support the growth of pathogens, it is perfectly safe to
drink. Whatever alcohol it had after fermentation completed is still there.
Drink up!

BTW, be sure to rack it carefully away from its sediment into another carboy
before bottling. Also, be sure to bottle it rather than simply siphoning
some out occasionally to drink. Once it gets airspace above it the wine
will quickly begin to spoil.

Tom S

Murray Clark

fred wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> I have some blackcurrant bushes and a few years ago I made some wine (2
> gallons). Unfortunately I got side tracked and the wine got left in the
> demijohns ever since. Any way, I today I decided to have another go with
> this years crop and before I emptied the old wine down the drain to reuse
> the vessels I thought I would pour a glass.
>
> The wine tasted a bit like port and is a golden colour and very clear.
>
> Do you think it still has any alcohol in it and could it be safe to drink?
>
> --
> Regards
> Bri Newsome

Very safe. I often leave wine a full year in a carboy before I even think
about bottling. The alcohol in your wine will keep any nasty bacteria or other
"bugs" from fouling the wine. If the container the wine was in was air tight
then all of the alcohol should be there.

pp

fred wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I have some blackcurrant bushes and a few years ago I made some wine (2
> gallons). Unfortunately I got side tracked and the wine got left in the
> demijohns ever since. Any way, I today I decided to have another go with
> this years crop and before I emptied the old wine down the drain to reuse
> the vessels I thought I would pour a glass.
>
> The wine tasted a bit like port and is a golden colour and very clear.
>
> Do you think it still has any alcohol in it and could it be safe to drink?
>
> --
> Regards
> Bri Newsome

I'm curious how you got "golden" colour on blackcurrant - do you mean
similar colour to tawny port? Gold as a colour descriptor typically
applies to white wines.

Pp

Tom S

"Murray Clark" > wrote in message
> The alcohol in your wine will keep any nasty bacteria or other
> "bugs" from fouling the wine.

That is definitely not true. The alcohol has to be much higher than table
wine levels (~13%) to provide such protection from spoilage organisms.

The only real protection is to keep the wine adequately sulfited and with
minimal headspace. Spoilage organisms need air to survive/propagate - and
they don't need very much.

Tom S

Ray Calvert

Tom, I think he was referring to pathogens or organisms that will make the
wine unsafe to drink. There are no known pathogens that will live in wine.
But you are right, there are things that can ruin the taste that can get
into it.

Fred, you said that it was a golden color, that may indicate oxidation.
Does it taste more like port or sherry. Both can stand oxidation. I have
had one wine oxidize into port and another oxidize into sherry when I had
forgotten them for a long time. Either way, you might consider fortifying
it to make it more aperitif like.

Ray

"Tom S" > wrote in message

> "Murray Clark" > wrote in message
>> The alcohol in your wine will keep any nasty bacteria or other
>> "bugs" from fouling the wine.

> That is definitely not true. The alcohol has to be much higher than table
> wine levels (~13%) to provide such protection from spoilage organisms.
>
> The only real protection is to keep the wine adequately sulfited and with
> minimal headspace. Spoilage organisms need air to survive/propagate - and
> they don't need very much.
>
> Tom S

Tom S

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
. ..
> Tom, I think he was referring to pathogens or organisms that will make the
> wine unsafe to drink. There are no known pathogens that will live in
> wine. But you are right, there are things that can ruin the taste that can
> get into it.

I think we're speaking at cross purposes. Pathogens are bad bugs that can
make you sick or kill you. He asked a question that I inferred was
addressed to the _safety_ of drinking his wine. It is certainly safe to
drink - no matter what it tastes like.

IOW, there are certainly things that can grow in wine that will render it
unpalatable - but they won't _hurt_ you.

Tom S

Ray Calvert

Granted. We agree.

Ray

"Tom S" > wrote in message

> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Tom, I think he was referring to pathogens or organisms that will make
>> the wine unsafe to drink. There are no known pathogens that will live in
>> wine. But you are right, there are things that can ruin the taste that
>> can get into it.

> I think we're speaking at cross purposes. Pathogens are bad bugs that can
> make you sick or kill you. He asked a question that I inferred was
> addressed to the _safety_ of drinking his wine. It is certainly safe to
> drink - no matter what it tastes like.
>
> IOW, there are certainly things that can grow in wine that will render it
> unpalatable - but they won't _hurt_ you.
>
> Tom S

MBaker

G'day Bri,

A few of the replies seem to have wandered a bit - if you feel you need
a summary, I'm going to provide it:
-yes your wine is safe to drink
-if the wine tastes good, whether there is any oxidation, spoilage etc.
is immaterial.

Enjoy!

M Baker

Bri

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I think i will drink and enjoy

Many thanks to all

Bri
"MBaker" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> G'day Bri,
>
> A few of the replies seem to have wandered a bit - if you feel you need
> a summary, I'm going to provide it:
> -yes your wine is safe to drink
> -if the wine tastes good, whether there is any oxidation, spoilage etc.
> is immaterial.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> M Baker

Murray Clark

Ray Calvert wrote:

> Tom, I think he was referring to pathogens or organisms that will make the
> wine unsafe to drink. There are no known pathogens that will live in wine.
> But you are right, there are things that can ruin the taste that can get
> into it.
>
> Fred, you said that it was a golden color, that may indicate oxidation.
> Does it taste more like port or sherry. Both can stand oxidation. I have
> had one wine oxidize into port and another oxidize into sherry when I had
> forgotten them for a long time. Either way, you might consider fortifying
> it to make it more aperitif like.
>
> Ray

You are correct sir! Another thing that can wreck a wine's flavour is a moldy
cork. I always boil my corks now, but I've lost the odd bottle to "corking" in
the past.

Murray

Newbie Wine Q TheScullster Wine 3 15-11-2010 03:09 PM
bad wine (newbie) [email protected] Winemaking 13 08-01-2005 10:26 PM
Newbie wine question -red wine CabFan Wine 5 19-07-2004 11:50 PM
Newbie wine question -red wine Al Wine 1 18-07-2004 05:45 PM
Wine Newbie [email protected] Wine 19 11-07-2004 05:10 AM