Jim Moran

Default sake making

Can anyone give some advice as to making Japanese rice wine? Or recommend a
website? I really like sake, and I have been homebrewing wine and beer for
several years. Would like to give sake a try.
thanks, Jim

Seismo Malm

In article >, Jim Moran wrote:
> Can anyone give some advice as to making Japanese rice wine? Or recommend a
> website? I really like sake, and I have been homebrewing wine and beer for
> several years. Would like to give sake a try.
> thanks, Jim

There are some articles about sake making at the brewery
(www.brewery.org). The site refuses connections at the moment but you can
get a copy of basic procedure by googling "sake brewery library" and
reading the article from cache.

seismo malm
Jim Moran

thanks, jim

"Seismo Malm" > wrote in message
.jyu.fi...
> In article >, Jim Moran wrote:
>> Can anyone give some advice as to making Japanese rice wine? Or recommend
>> website? I really like sake, and I have been homebrewing wine and beer
>> for
>> several years. Would like to give sake a try.
>> thanks, Jim
>>

> There are some articles about sake making at the brewery
> (www.brewery.org). The site refuses connections at the moment but you can
> get a copy of basic procedure by googling "sake brewery library" and
> reading the article from cache.
>
> seismo malm

Brian Lundeen

>> In article >, Jim Moran wrote:
>>> Can anyone give some advice as to making Japanese rice wine? Or
>>> recommend a
>>> website? I really like sake, and I have been homebrewing wine and beer
>>> for
>>> several years. Would like to give sake a try.
>>> thanks, Jim

Here is probably the definitive article by sake guru, Fred Eckhardt.

http://www.rjspagnols.com/HandoutView.asp?HandoutID=28

Steinbart in Portland (the left one) was selling a quality sake kit which
included polished rice and koji from the Sake One brewery, and a liquid sake
yeast. Don't know if they still do. You can contact them if interested.
http://www.steinbart.com/pages/contact.htm

Brian

Stephen SG

KOJI to Brew your own Sake

Contact me if this is what you had in mind.

Stephen SG
"Jim Moran" > wrote in message
| Can anyone give some advice as to making Japanese rice wine? Or recommend
| website? I really like sake, and I have been homebrewing wine and beer for
| several years. Would like to give sake a try.
| thanks, Jim

arne thormodsen

"Jim Moran" > wrote in message
> Can anyone give some advice as to making Japanese rice wine? Or
> recommend a website? I really like sake, and I have been homebrewing
> wine and beer for several years. Would like to give sake a try.
> thanks, Jim

I've got a simplified recipe at
http://www.exchangenet.net/thormodsen/sake.htm.

Be aware that sake must be fermented very cool, so depending on where
you live and what equipment you have summer may not be the best time
to try it.

--arne

Stephen SG

"Jim Moran" > wrote in message
| Can anyone give some advice as to making Japanese rice wine? Or recommend
| website? I really like sake, and I have been homebrewing wine and beer for
| several years. Would like to give sake a try.
| thanks, Jim

Jim have a look at this, It may not be what you intended but,if you what
some reciepts i will be please to send them, or to you or anybody else.

Regards Stephen SG

Types of Sake

GINJOZUKURI, or DAI-GINJO SAKE.
Raw in stock, one time pasteurised, available any time. Most Japanese are
familiar with this type. These super premium sakes are a little more
expensive but well worth it. Ginjo is made with the highest quality rice,
polished down considerably more than regular sakes. Most of these sakes use
rice polished down to 60%. Japanese regulatory authorities require 50%
polishing in order to gain the Ginjo designation.

HIDE SAKE (pronounced hee-ray, means fish fin).
More a way of serving sake than a separate class of sake itself, a grilled
fugu fin is placed in a glass of hot sake **very smoky flavoured and very
smooth, so I'm told. Available in some izakayas.
HONJOZUKURI, or HONJOZO SAKE (alcohol added sake).
Honjozo gives the benefit of being able to enjoy sake brewed through
traditional methods with a milder taste. Don't let the name deceive you.
Adding alcohol to the mix doesn't imply any sort of corner cutting. This is
good stuff.

JUNMAISHU, or JUNMAI SAKE (pure rice sake).
It is as its names suggests, made only with the essentials: rice, koji and
water. It has a slightly heavy taste and sells at a premium. Ginjozukuri
would be considered junmaishu, as well.

KUCHIKAMI NO SAKE (chewing-in-the-mouth sake).
The first sake of antiquity that was dependent upon human saliva for the
fermentation process.

MIRIN (sweet sake).
Mirin is an extra-sweet cooking sake, used primarily in teriyaki, sukiyaki
and other sauces. It is made by supersaturating pasteurised sake with salts
and sugar. Although not recommended for consumption as a beverage, when
poured over fresh fruit and ice cream, it enhances their flavor.

NAMA SAKE (new sake).
Raw, non*pasteurized, available from late December/early January through May
in limited quantities (depends on coldness of winter). This is draft sake
and has a very short shelf life.

NIGORIZAKE (cloudy sake).
Nigorizake is a virtually unfiltered sake. On the shelf the semi-solid rice
particles sink nearly to the bottom leaving the impression of a fresh winter
snowscape. Nigorizake is filtered in open-weave sacks letting some of the
rice and koji particles through leaving creamy white clouds floating in the
sake. It has a little bite to it, and its strength is made readily known to
the drinker.

YAKOMAN (fake sake).
Commercially massed-produced sake. Uses artificial flavouring,
preservatives, etc. for consistency of flavor, colour, durability for
shipping, etc. You can tell a yakoman by the reflection of the surface -it
is artificially too clear

Scott

http://www.sake-world.com/
have not done any brewing of this yet, had bookmarked for reference.
cheers
scott
"Stephen SG" > wrote in message

> [...]

> and has a very short shelf life.
>
> NIGORIZAKE (cloudy sake).
> Nigorizake is a virtually unfiltered sake. On the shelf the semi-solid

rice
> particles sink nearly to the bottom leaving the impression of a fresh

winter
> snowscape. Nigorizake is filtered in open-weave sacks letting some of the
> rice and koji particles through leaving creamy white clouds floating in

the
> sake. It has a little bite to it, and its strength is made readily known

> the drinker.
>
> YAKOMAN (fake sake).
> Commercially massed-produced sake. Uses artificial flavouring,
> preservatives, etc. for consistency of flavor, colour, durability for
> shipping, etc. You can tell a yakoman by the reflection of the surface -it

Gene

Where can you get the koji? I've not been able to find a supplier.

"Scott" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > and has a very short shelf life.
> >
> > NIGORIZAKE (cloudy sake).
> > Nigorizake is a virtually unfiltered sake. On the shelf the semi-solid

> rice
> > particles sink nearly to the bottom leaving the impression of a fresh

> winter
> > snowscape. Nigorizake is filtered in open-weave sacks letting some of

the
> > rice and koji particles through leaving creamy white clouds floating in

> the
> > sake. It has a little bite to it, and its strength is made readily known

> > the drinker.
> >
> > YAKOMAN (fake sake).
> > Commercially massed-produced sake. Uses artificial flavouring,
> > preservatives, etc. for consistency of flavor, colour, durability for
> > shipping, etc. You can tell a yakoman by the reflection of the

Jim Moran

thanks again to everyone's advice, Jim

"Gene" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> > and has a very short shelf life.
>> >
>> > NIGORIZAKE (cloudy sake).
>> > Nigorizake is a virtually unfiltered sake. On the shelf the semi-solid

>> rice
>> > particles sink nearly to the bottom leaving the impression of a fresh

>> winter
>> > snowscape. Nigorizake is filtered in open-weave sacks letting some of

> the
>> > rice and koji particles through leaving creamy white clouds floating in

>> the
>> > sake. It has a little bite to it, and its strength is made readily
>> > known

>> > the drinker.
>> >
>> > YAKOMAN (fake sake).
>> > Commercially massed-produced sake. Uses artificial flavouring,
>> > preservatives, etc. for consistency of flavor, colour, durability for
>> > shipping, etc. You can tell a yakoman by the reflection of the

Stephen SG

Have a look at the following although this list may be out of date, it will
give you some direction.

Regards Stephen SG

KOJI RICE

Koji is available in the U.S. and the following is a list of retailers that
should have it. Call them for current pricing and availability:

Alternate Beverage, Charlotte NC (800) 365-2739

Anzen Pacific Corp., Portland OR (503) 283-1284

Brewhouse Home Brew Supply, Knoxville TN (615) 523-4615

Crosby & Baker, Westport MA (508) 636-5154

DeFalcos, Houston TX (713) 523-8154

Fun Fermentations Orange CA (714) 532-5125

Great Fermentations of Marin, San Rafael CA (415) 459-2520

Great Fermentations of Santa Rosa CA (707) 544-2520

Steinbarts, Portland OR (800) 735-8793

Wine Supply, Portland OR (503) 287-2624

SAKE YEAST

Champagne yeast should work fine (its what I use), but shoji yeast should
also be available from you local homebrew shop. If not, try WyEast Labs; PO
Box 425, Mt. Hood OR 97041

"Gene" > wrote in message

> [...]
| > >
| > > NIGORIZAKE (cloudy sake).
| > > Nigorizake is a virtually unfiltered sake. On the shelf the semi-solid
| > rice
| > > particles sink nearly to the bottom leaving the impression of a fresh
| > winter
| > > snowscape. Nigorizake is filtered in open-weave sacks letting some of
| the
| > > rice and koji particles through leaving creamy white clouds floating
in
| > the
| > > sake. It has a little bite to it, and its strength is made readily
known
| > > the drinker.
| > >
| > > YAKOMAN (fake sake).
| > > Commercially massed-produced sake. Uses artificial flavouring,
| > > preservatives, etc. for consistency of flavor, colour, durability for
| > > shipping, etc. You can tell a yakoman by the reflection of the

arne thormodsen

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> Have a look at the following although this list may be out of date,
> it will
> give you some direction.
>
> Regards Stephen SG
>
> KOJI RICE
>
> Koji is available in the U.S. and the following is a list of
> retailers that
> should have it. Call them for current pricing and availability:

If you live in an area with a large enough east-asian population you
may find some specialty asian food stores that stock it. I usually
buy it as Uwajimaya in Beaverton, OR. White Mountain brand.

--arne

arne thormodsen

> buy it as Uwajimaya in Beaverton, OR. White Mountain brand.

Sorry, it's "Cold Mountain" brand.

Miyako Oriental Foods, Inc. (Cold Mountain)
4287 Puente Av., Baldwin Park, CA 91716
Phone: 626-962-9633
Fax: 626-814-4569

> --arne

Brian

Stephen SG wrote:

> Have a look at the following although this list may be out of date, it will
> give you some direction.
>
> Regards Stephen SG
>
> KOJI RICE
>
> Koji is available in the U.S. and the following is a list of retailers that
> should have it. Call them for current pricing and availability:
>

> Alternate Beverage, Charlotte NC (800) 365-2739
>
> Anzen Pacific Corp., Portland OR (503) 283-1284
>
> Brewhouse Home Brew Supply, Knoxville TN (615) 523-4615
>
> Crosby & Baker, Westport MA (508) 636-5154
>
> DeFalcos, Houston TX (713) 523-8154
>
> Fun Fermentations Orange CA (714) 532-5125
>
> Great Fermentations of Marin, San Rafael CA (415) 459-2520
>
> Great Fermentations of Santa Rosa CA (707) 544-2520
>
> Steinbarts, Portland OR (800) 735-8793
>
> Wine Supply, Portland OR (503) 287-2624
>
> SAKE YEAST
>
> Champagne yeast should work fine (its what I use), but shoji yeast should
> also be available from you local homebrew shop. If not, try WyEast Labs; PO
> Box 425, Mt. Hood OR 97041
>
> "Gene" > wrote in message
> |
> | Where can you get the koji? I've not been able to find a supplier.
> |

> | "Scott" > wrote in message
> | > http://www.sake-world.com/
> | > have not done any brewing of this yet, had bookmarked for reference.
> | > cheers
> | > scott

> | > recommend
> beer
> | > for

> what
> else.

> | are
> | rice,
> sakes
> | > use

> | grilled
> | very
> you.
> This
> | > is

> | and
> Ginjozukuri

> the

> | sukiyaki
> | > salts
> when

> through
> | > May
> | sake

> | > rice
> | > winter
> | the
> in
> | > the
> known

> | surface -it

Stephen, any known Suppliers in Canada.
I emailed Cold Mountain myself. Really nice people to talk to.
unfortunatly couldn't use 45Gal of Koji they could supply.

Brian
William Frazier

"Gene" > wrote in message
> Where can you get the koji? I've not been able to find a supplier.

I don't make Sake but I noticed this while reading up on some enzymes for
use in grape winemaking.

"Hazyme C, amylitic enzyme liquid. An enzymatic complex which is effective
in preventing starch hazes in apples and other fruits. Since it converts
starches into sugars it makes a suitable substitute for Aspergillus oryzae
as the active agent in Kojii which is used in Sake production. It will work
well under cold conditions"

You can find this at pi.wine under enzymes.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

arne thormodsen

> "Hazyme C, amylitic enzyme liquid. An enzymatic complex which is
> effective in preventing starch hazes in apples and other fruits.
> Since it converts starches into sugars it makes a suitable
> substitute for Aspergillus oryzae as the active agent in Kojii which
> is used in Sake production. It will work well under cold conditions"
>
> You can find this at pi.wine under enzymes.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA

Problem is that koji contributes some very characteristic flavors as
well as converting starch to sugar. The enzyme will do the
conversion, and let you make rice wine (maybe quite good rice wine,
I've never tried), but it won't taste like sake.

--arne

WannabeSomeone

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> "Gene" > wrote in message
>> Where can you get the koji? I've not been able to find a supplier.

> I don't make Sake but I noticed this while reading up on some enzymes for use
> in grape winemaking.
>
> "Hazyme C, amylitic enzyme liquid. An enzymatic complex which is effective in
> preventing starch hazes in apples and other fruits. Since it converts
> starches into sugars it makes a suitable substitute for Aspergillus oryzae as
> the active agent in Kojii which is used in Sake production. It will work well
> under cold conditions"
>
> You can find this at pi.wine under enzymes.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA

Aspergillus oryzae in Koji will grow and produce the enzyme. You will break the
bank to buy the liquid enzyme to make rice wine. You might as well just buy the
rice wine in the bottle.

Best Regards,
Wannabe
========

Warren Place

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, arne thormodsen wrote:
> Problem is that koji contributes some very characteristic flavors as
> well as converting starch to sugar. The enzyme will do the
> conversion, and let you make rice wine (maybe quite good rice wine,
> I've never tried), but it won't taste like sake.
>
> --arne

I understand that koji lends many flavors to the sake, but what
about the Saccharomyces used? I'm trying to decide whether I should use
wine yeast, lager or ale yeast. I have many of those strains already but
could special order the Wyeast Sake strain if it really does a better job.

Also, does Koji have saccharomyces in it or just Aspergillus?

Finally, does the koji have lactic acid bacteria or is the concern about
pasteurization just because sake is often contaminated along the way with
all the handling?
Warren Place
arne thormodsen

"Warren Place" wrote:

> I understand that koji lends many flavors to the sake, but what
> about the Saccharomyces used? I'm trying to decide whether I should
> use
> wine yeast, lager or ale yeast. I have many of those strains
> already but
> could special order the Wyeast Sake strain if it really does a
> better job.

I usually use Red Star Premier Cuve, but jsut because I usually have
some lying around. I've not tried the Wyeast Sake strain, but have
seen it recommended.

> Also, does Koji have saccharomyces in it or just Aspergillus?

Just Aspergillus. There is a Chinese product that has yeast in it
too, but I forget the name. It's often just translated as "Yeast
Balls", but it's Aspergillus and Yeast.

> Finally, does the koji have lactic acid bacteria or is the concern
> about
> pasteurization just because sake is often contaminated along the way
> with
> all the handling?

Good question. I don't know. I've always pasteurised just because
that's how I learned to do it. I recently learned during a visit to
Japan that "raw" (unpasteurized) sake is also available. It's
undiluted (18%-20% ABV) and must be protected from light. The bottles
I saw were wrapped in either paper or rice straw. It also spoils
quickly. I would have bought some, but I was afraid it would get
ruined on the way back to the US. Unfortunately I didn't get to taste
any, although I tasted plenty of other sakes, mostly in Akita
prefecture, which is noted for the quality and variety of the local
sake, most of which is unavailable anywhere else.

--arne

> Warren Place

WannabeSomeone

"arne thormodsen" > wrote in message

> "Warren Place" wrote:
>
>> I understand that koji lends many flavors to the sake, but what
>> about the Saccharomyces used? I'm trying to decide whether I should use
>> wine yeast, lager or ale yeast. I have many of those strains already but
>> could special order the Wyeast Sake strain if it really does a better job.
>>

> I usually use Red Star Premier Cuve, but jsut because I usually have some
> lying around. I've not tried the Wyeast Sake strain, but have seen it
> recommended.
>
>> Also, does Koji have saccharomyces in it or just Aspergillus?
>>

> Just Aspergillus. There is a Chinese product that has yeast in it too, but I
> forget the name. It's often just translated as "Yeast Balls", but it's
> Aspergillus and Yeast.

Yes, I have used the Chinese version of Koji, mine can ferment without adding
yeast. Apparently it came with some strain of yeast.

Best Regards,
Wannabe
========

Sake World Sake Newsletter, December, 2006 Gerry Sushi 0 06-12-2006 12:27 AM
Red sake? Geoff Sushi 10 05-11-2006 07:58 PM
Sake again Pat Kennedy Winemaking 3 23-09-2005 01:30 AM
Sake? Desertphile, American Patriot Winemaking 8 02-03-2005 09:46 PM