FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Wine from Homemade Jelly? (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/61771-wine-homemade-jelly.html)

sokane 31-05-2005 02:55 AM

Wine from Homemade Jelly?

I have 3 pints of Blackberry Jelly that never solidified. The ratio of
Blackberry to sugar is 1:1. I was thinking of making wine from the failed
jelly, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on whether
this will work or not.

Doug 31-05-2005 03:36 AM

It is certainly possible to ferment it, after you have diluted it a
bit. Sounds like enough for a 1-gallon batch. You'll want to dilute
to about a gallon, add sugar (if needed) to get to 1.080 S.G. or a
little higher, and you'll probably need to add some acid. Make sure to
add some pectic enzyme - it may not have had enough pectin to make a
firm jelly, but for wine, you really don't want any pectin, or it won't
clear properly.

Doug

WorldsWorst 05-06-2005 11:06 PM

Never tried it myself but CJJ Berry's book 'Winemaking with Canned and Dried
Fruit' has a recipe for making wine with jelly.
lkaboutdrinks.com...