REid

Default To filter or not to filter

Hi all,

I am new to the wine making community and have a question (actually I
have a million questions but for now, just this one). When I made my
last kit (a Cabernet), the expert where I bought the kit advised that I
should filter the wine prior to bottling to remove any yeast cells that
would continue fermenting in the bottle and spoil the wine. From what I
have read when researching the subject, it seems to me that filtration
is not necessary. I currently have a Cabernet-Shiraz in the works, and
I am wondering if it should be filtered.

Thanks,
Reid
Joe Sallustio

I never filter reds, they clear well all on their own with time. If
anything, I fine them with sparkleoid. If you are willing to wait
several months (and you should try it) you will not be disappointed
with the results. Reds are much better after a year or so, kits
included.

Joe

Ray Calvert

Agree with the above. Filtering is more of an issue with whites though most
of us do not filter with anything. There are other ways to handle the
problem such as fining and stabilizing. But with reds, I have never heard
of anyone who seriously suggested filtering as necessary to remove yeast
unless you are making a sweet wine and then, once again, there are other
ways of handling it. I don't like to suggest such a thing but it the
"expert" trying to sell you a filter or a service? It is certainly not
normal practice.

Ray

"REid" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to the wine making community and have a question (actually I have
> a million questions but for now, just this one). When I made my last kit
> (a Cabernet), the expert where I bought the kit advised that I should
> filter the wine prior to bottling to remove any yeast cells that would
> continue fermenting in the bottle and spoil the wine. From what I have
> read when researching the subject, it seems to me that filtration is not
> necessary. I currently have a Cabernet-Shiraz in the works, and I am
> wondering if it should be filtered.
>
> Thanks,
> Reid

Rob

With patience, filtering can be avoided in most grape-wine cases. I
think a lot of people think about it for speeding up bottling. For
instance, if you just make sure your fermentation is complete, and
you've properly sulphited, filtering out yeast that has nothing to eat
doesn't matter. Also, giving the wine time during bulk aging to fully
settle out can also minimize the need for filtering. My first kit wine
I actually let bulk age for seven months instead of the two months the
directions gave, and it was a white that came out as clear as you can
imagine.

Rob

pinky

You will find that opinions differ but I have not filtered any of my wines
in the last 15 years. I did a few before that ,especially when I was just
beginning and didn't know what I was doing.

If you want to make your wine and drink it very young, without due aging to
let the wine mature, then you will have to fine and then probably filter as
well but I certainly wouldn't filter. With my "country wines" I rarely fine
either just let time and gravity ( the heavy sort) clear the wines as it
matures over a couple of years (with judicious racking occasionally).

I just feel ( and this is a personal opinion which is totally
unsubstantiated by me -- except in my own perception) that filtering to
"polish" wines and so on cannot do anything but remove particulates which
are inherent within the wines make up, bouquet, aroma, taste -- the very
body of the wine. My wines which have settled out and cleared purely with
time and patience are all clear and have that "sparkle" of a live wine with
which we are all familiar.

I am old fashioned in my tastes and enjoy the subtlety of a well aged red
wine with a good tannin kick and a long taste on the tongue to the back of
the mouth.

However I do remember my first home made wine -- 2 separate gallons of a red
thing from cans -- I think it was consumed without ever being bottled! mind
you that was some 35 years ago! But it was great stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!-- I
suspect it wasn't fined and definitely not filtered!

Ah well -- enjoyment of wine is always more than just the drinking of it!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"REid" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to the wine making community and have a question (actually I have
> a million questions but for now, just this one). When I made my last kit
> (a Cabernet), the expert where I bought the kit advised that I should
> filter the wine prior to bottling to remove any yeast cells that would
> continue fermenting in the bottle and spoil the wine. From what I have
> read when researching the subject, it seems to me that filtration is not
> necessary. I currently have a Cabernet-Shiraz in the works, and I am
> wondering if it should be filtered.
>
> Thanks,
> Reid

REid

The shop where I bought the kit loans out one of those Buon Vino Mini
Jets to there customers, so there is no extra cost involved.
Thanks to all for the advice!

Reid

Ray Calvert wrote:
> Agree with the above. Filtering is more of an issue with whites though most
> of us do not filter with anything. There are other ways to handle the
> problem such as fining and stabilizing. But with reds, I have never heard
> of anyone who seriously suggested filtering as necessary to remove yeast
> unless you are making a sweet wine and then, once again, there are other
> ways of handling it. I don't like to suggest such a thing but it the
> "expert" trying to sell you a filter or a service? It is certainly not
> normal practice.
>
> Ray
>
> "REid" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am new to the wine making community and have a question (actually I have
>>a million questions but for now, just this one). When I made my last kit
>>(a Cabernet), the expert where I bought the kit advised that I should
>>filter the wine prior to bottling to remove any yeast cells that would
>>continue fermenting in the bottle and spoil the wine. From what I have
>>read when researching the subject, it seems to me that filtration is not
>>necessary. I currently have a Cabernet-Shiraz in the works, and I am
>>wondering if it should be filtered.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Reid

REid

Those are exact qualities I am looking for in my wine. I do hereby
solemnly swear to stash away at least 5 bottles from every batch I make
so each one will have an opportunity to reach it's full potential!

pinky wrote:

> I am old fashioned in my tastes and enjoy the subtlety of a well aged red
> wine with a good tannin kick and a long taste on the tongue to the back of
> the mouth.
>

> Ah well -- enjoyment of wine is always more than just the drinking of it!

Joe Sallustio

You will be glad you did... You will be making those dry if you make
them in style so I think you can skip the filter. I have that
particular filter. If you used the green sterile filter pads (which
are the tightest ones), it would also strip some color and you don't
want that. Just give it extra time in the carboy.

Joe

Where to get ceramic Bonmac filter cone for #2 filter Mister Fish Coffee 1 15-09-2011 10:44 AM
usenet filter Sacha[_6_] General Cooking 10 29-07-2009 05:52 PM
wine filter Hobbs Family Winemaking 2 12-12-2005 07:48 PM
FS: Spadoni Lees Filter & Combine Filter [email protected] Winemaking 0 10-06-2005 02:21 AM
should I filter?........ Andy j. Winemaking 3 18-06-2004 03:02 PM