Bob

Default Too late?

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have realised that one of my batches has not been racked for over four
> months. Is this likely to cause a problem if I rack now or should I be

ok?

I had one wine go for three years w/o racking; my wife and mother were
both dying and I had no time for it.

> RDC

Rob

Only way to know is to smell and taste. I went about 6 months without
racking a wine a couple years ago because I was too lazy to throw it
out. It had been racked clear, but not fined. Aged real nicely, and
bottled up fine.

R-D-C

It had finished fermenting and been racked with campden and sorbate then
left (and I forgot about it!)

"pinky" > wrote in message
> More information is needed as to what you have done so far and at what
> stage was your "batch" when you last did anything to it? And what was it
> and .......
>
> IF it had finished fermenting and has been fined and stabilised properly
> it will in all likelihood be undergoing some gentle aging and will not be
> coming to any harm
> IF!!!!
>
> Or you could just have a taste of it and that will tell you a lot too!
>

> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have realised that one of my batches has not been racked for over four
>> months. Is this likely to cause a problem if I rack now or should I be
>> ok?
>>
>> RDC

pinky

Then there should be absolutely no problem.

I bulk age my wines from 6 months to over 2 years depending on type ( red or
white/ variety/ grape/ "country" and so on.

If you are still a bit worried, then take a sample glass to smell and taste.
I bet it is in good condition.

You can then decide whether you are going to bottle it there and then or to
let it continue in its container for a while longer.
If you are going to age it longer then do check the SO2 and adjust if
necessary ( probably not needed) and top up the gap you have made with a
similar wine.

I really would expect it to be in excellent shape!

--

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> It had finished fermenting and been racked with campden and sorbate then
> left (and I forgot about it!)

<snip><snip>

Better late than never... PENMART01 General Cooking 0 10-11-2004 03:30 PM
Late Sharon Capps Baking 2 20-11-2003 12:41 AM
Late, late, late picking Ken Anderson Winemaking 3 21-10-2003 01:33 PM