FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Immersion heater (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/54282-immersion-heater.html)

alien 17-02-2005 02:38 AM

Immersion heater

I was perusing a catalogue in my local home brew shop recently and came
across an immersion heater that you basically plug in and drop in a
bucket. It was designed for beer use, but I was thinking of the
possibilities of using it for wine and mead. I usually only use enough
hot water to dissolve the sugar and, depending on the wine, cover the
fruit/vegetable matter for extraction. I would advise removing the
heater before adding sugar. My next batch of mead will probably use a
raw local honey so I could use it to heat water up enough to pasteurise
it, should I wish to do so.

Has anyone got any experience with these? Any other thoughts? It would
be a lot easier than filling up a few large pans for hot water, and it
was less than half the price of a 2 gallon kettle I was looking at
recently.

gene 17-02-2005 02:45 AM

The heater is fine for heating water, but the concentrated heat at the
surface of the heating element is more than I'd prefer to come into
contact with my grapes/wine. It won't hurt you when you get slight
carmelization in the must, though I'd expect a bit of oxidized flavor (a
la sherry). You be the judge. Gene

Bob 18-02-2005 06:31 PM

"alien" > wrote in message
> I was perusing a catalogue in my local home brew shop recently and came
> across an immersion heater that you basically plug in and drop in a
> bucket. It was designed for beer use, but I was thinking of the
> possibilities of using it for wine and mead.

You can also get submersible ones at pet shops for aquarium use.

I usually only use enough
> hot water to dissolve the sugar and, depending on the wine, cover the
> fruit/vegetable matter for extraction. I would advise removing the
> heater before adding sugar. My next batch of mead will probably use a
> raw local honey so I could use it to heat water up enough to pasteurise
> it, should I wish to do so.

Make sure that honey is very sweet and aromatic in flavor. I used wild
honey on five gallons of mead and it has an aftertaste like kiddies cough
syrup.
Bob
--

Please excuse any errors in my post,
as I have dain bramage.

Dar V 19-02-2005 02:44 PM

If I think my must is a bit cool and I need a bit of warmth for my yeast to
get going, I use a heating pad. I set my 2 gallon glass primary ferment
container on top of my heating pad. Having said that, I always make sure I'm
home when I turn it on, and I do keep tabs on it. Please, I don't want
anyone to have a fire if they do this. Usually, it only requires a few
hours, then the must takes off, and I remove the heating pad.
Darlene
Wisconsin

alien 19-02-2005 06:55 PM

I'm only going to use it to heat water. It's something like £20, while
a 3G catering kettle will set me back around £100. Was just wondering if
there's any cons to using it that I haven't thought about. Money was a
bit tight until Friday, so I didn't want to waste any. The only think I
can think is that the long term costs might be higher or it might melt
the plastic must bucket.