Desertphile, American Patriot

Default Mason Jars?

Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
finished product?

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"The sense of justice springs from self-respect; both are coeval with
our birth. Children are born with an innate sense of justice; it usually
takes twelve years of public schooling and four more years of college to
beat it out of them." -- Edward Abbey
Ken Vale

Desertphile, American Patriot wrote:
> Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> finished product?

Yes they would work, perhaps not as well, but they would work. Becareful
of the airspace at the top, you don't want much if any. Use all new
lids. Should be ok, but I can't garante this is the case.
Ken
Tom S

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> finished product?

Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to corrosion from
the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor. Also, it's difficult to
get the headspace small enough.

Why bother? Bottles aren't that expensive, and they're reusable.

Tom S

Tom S > wrote:

> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
>> Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
>> finished product?

> Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to corrosion from
> the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor. Also, it's difficult to
> get the headspace small enough.

Regarding headspace, you could remove a lot of the air from the jar when
you close it. They've got little devices designed to do exactly this. One
end fits over the middle-piece of the normal two-piece-ring and the other
end is a vacuum tube that you either connect to a pump or suck on manually.
Basicly, it sucks the air out, and then releases the lid piece down into place.
(If you're in the US, Walmart carries them.)

That said, I don't recommend bottling in mason jars. I doubt they're
as resistant to pressure buildup as champagne bottles are. You could have
some glass grenades on your hand.

-- WB

Tom S > wrote:

> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
>> Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
>> finished product?

> Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to corrosion from
> the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor. Also, it's difficult to
> get the headspace small enough.

Regarding headspace, you could remove a lot of the air from the jar when
you close it. They've got little devices designed to do exactly this. One
end fits over the middle-piece of the normal two-piece-ring and the other
end is a vacuum tube that you either connect to a pump or suck on manually.
Basicly, it sucks the air out, and then releases the lid piece down into place.
(If you're in the US, Walmart carries them.)

That said, I don't recommend bottling in mason jars. I doubt they're
as resistant to pressure buildup as champagne bottles are. You could have
some glass grenades on your hand.

-- WB

Ray Calvert

I would not count on them. As commented above you will have difficulty
getting the air space small enough and corrosion may ruin your wine. If
those problem don't get you, they air leaking in probably will. Remember,
Mason jars are designed to be sealed, not by the lid being screwed down, but
by heating the jar with its contents placing the lid on and then cooling so
the vacuum will pull the lit tight. You can't, or at least should not, use
this method with wine so you can not be sure of a seal. Wine bottles were
designed for wine.

Ray

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> finished product?
>
> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "The sense of justice springs from self-respect; both are coeval with
> our birth. Children are born with an innate sense of justice; it usually
> takes twelve years of public schooling and four more years of college to
> beat it out of them." -- Edward Abbey

Desertphile, American Patriot

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:18:13 -0500, Ken Vale >
wrote:

> Desertphile, American Patriot wrote:

> > Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> > finished product?

> Yes they would work, perhaps not as well, but they would work. Becareful
> of the airspace at the top, you don't want much if any. Use all new
> lids. Should be ok, but I can't garante this is the case.

Thank you. The reason I asked is because I have Mason jars, but do
not have bottles, nor corks. :-) I run a raw-hide outfit here,
with no money for equipment nor easy access to any store that
sells equipment (I live in the Carson National Forest). I have
already learned a few things from this newsgroup.

> Ken

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"There's nothing so obscene and depressing as an American Christmas."
-- Edward Abbey

wrote:

> Desertphile, American Patriot wrote:

> > Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> > finished product?

> Yes they would work, perhaps not as well, but they would work. Becareful
> of the airspace at the top, you don't want much if any. Use all new
> lids. Should be ok, but I can't garante this is the case.

Thank you. The reason I asked is because I have Mason jars, but do
not have bottles, nor corks. :-) I run a raw-hide outfit here,
with no money for equipment nor easy access to any store that
sells equipment (I live in the Carson National Forest). I have
already learned a few things from this newsgroup.

> Ken

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"There's nothing so obscene and depressing as an American Christmas."
-- Edward Abbey
Desertphile, American Patriot

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:18:46 GMT, "Tom S"
> wrote:

> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message

> > Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> > finished product?

> Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to
> corrosion from the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor.
> Also, it's difficult to get the headspace small enough.

I did not think of those things. Humm. I have some bottles that
have ceramic stoppers, with a Mason jar-like wire assembly that
seats the stopper hard up against the bottle's mouth with a rubber
gasket. I suppose I could save the Mason jars for moonshine, and
use the bottles for wine.

> Why bother? Bottles aren't that expensive, and they're reusable.

I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.

Yah know, if I could figure out how to turn horse shit into wine,
I'd be a billionaire.

> Tom S

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Might does not make right but it sure makes what is." -- Edward Abbey
Desertphile, American Patriot

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:18:46 GMT, "Tom S"
> wrote:

> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message

> > Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> > finished product?

> Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to
> corrosion from the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor.
> Also, it's difficult to get the headspace small enough.

I did not think of those things. Humm. I have some bottles that
have ceramic stoppers, with a Mason jar-like wire assembly that
seats the stopper hard up against the bottle's mouth with a rubber
gasket. I suppose I could save the Mason jars for moonshine, and
use the bottles for wine.

> Why bother? Bottles aren't that expensive, and they're reusable.

I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.

Yah know, if I could figure out how to turn horse shit into wine,
I'd be a billionaire.

> Tom S

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Might does not make right but it sure makes what is." -- Edward Abbey

Tom S

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> I have some bottles that
> have ceramic stoppers, with a Mason jar-like wire assembly that
> seats the stopper hard up against the bottle's mouth with a rubber
> gasket. I suppose I could save the Mason jars for moonshine, and
> use the bottles for wine.

Those sound like Grolsch bottles. They're much better for wine than Mason
jars.

> Yah know, if I could figure out how to turn horse shit into wine,
> I'd be a billionaire.

That's easy. I believe it's called organic farming. ;^)

Tom S

Paul E. Lehmann

Desertphile, American Patriot wrote:

> I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.

It appears your remote cattle ranch has internet access. You can order
supplies and bottles on line from many different distributors.

Paul E. Lehmann

Desertphile, American Patriot wrote:

> I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.

It appears your remote cattle ranch has internet access. You can order
supplies and bottles on line from many different distributors.

Paul E. Lehmann

Desertphile, American Patriot wrote:

> I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.

It appears your remote cattle ranch has internet access. You can order
supplies and bottles on line from many different distributors.

frederick ploegman

Yes, of course you can. I have been doing it for more years than I care
to recall. I still make summer/picnic novelty wines using pint mason
jars that have been converted to drinking mugs by the addition of a
glass handle (I'm sure many folks here have seen them.)

The lids are designed to provide long term storage for things like pickles,
so wine presents no problem. Don't try to vacuum seal the jars. Simply
use the lid and ring like a two piece screw cap. So long as they are
stored in a reasonably dry location there is no problem with corrosion.
Adequate sulfite will prevent oxidation. HTH

Frederick

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> finished product?
>
> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "The sense of justice springs from self-respect; both are coeval with
> our birth. Children are born with an innate sense of justice; it usually
> takes twelve years of public schooling and four more years of college to
> beat it out of them." -- Edward Abbey

Ray Calvert

If you are short of wine bottles, and you do not have any restaurants around
that you can ask to save bottles to get free ones, you can use gallon jugs
with solid rubber bungs very nicely. You can age in these for a couple of
years with not problem. If you have a few wine bottles, and you do not
drink a gallon at a time, you can bottle one gallon at a time.

Ray

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:18:46 GMT, "Tom S"
> > wrote:
>
>> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in
>> message

>> > Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
>> > finished product?

>> Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to
>> corrosion from the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor.
>> Also, it's difficult to get the headspace small enough.

> I did not think of those things. Humm. I have some bottles that
> have ceramic stoppers, with a Mason jar-like wire assembly that
> seats the stopper hard up against the bottle's mouth with a rubber
> gasket. I suppose I could save the Mason jars for moonshine, and
> use the bottles for wine.
>
>> Why bother? Bottles aren't that expensive, and they're reusable.

> I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.
>
> Yah know, if I could figure out how to turn horse shit into wine,
> I'd be a billionaire.
>
>> Tom S

> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "Might does not make right but it sure makes what is." -- Edward Abbey

Ray Calvert

If you are short of wine bottles, and you do not have any restaurants around
that you can ask to save bottles to get free ones, you can use gallon jugs
with solid rubber bungs very nicely. You can age in these for a couple of
years with not problem. If you have a few wine bottles, and you do not
drink a gallon at a time, you can bottle one gallon at a time.

Ray

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:18:46 GMT, "Tom S"
> > wrote:
>
>> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in
>> message

>> > Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
>> > finished product?

>> Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to
>> corrosion from the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor.
>> Also, it's difficult to get the headspace small enough.

> I did not think of those things. Humm. I have some bottles that
> have ceramic stoppers, with a Mason jar-like wire assembly that
> seats the stopper hard up against the bottle's mouth with a rubber
> gasket. I suppose I could save the Mason jars for moonshine, and
> use the bottles for wine.
>
>> Why bother? Bottles aren't that expensive, and they're reusable.

> I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.
>
> Yah know, if I could figure out how to turn horse shit into wine,
> I'd be a billionaire.
>
>> Tom S

> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "Might does not make right but it sure makes what is." -- Edward Abbey

Desertphile, American Patriot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 05:54:08 -0500, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> wrote:

> Desertphile, American Patriot wrote:

> > I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> > live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.

> It appears your remote cattle ranch has internet access. You
> can order supplies and bottles on line from many different
> distributors.

That I will do. (The internet access is via satellite "Direcway,"
and they charge an extortionist fee.) The problem is I can get the
small stuff by going into town on a horse, but anything large I
will have to wait until the road dries (some time around May if
I'm lucky). I'll get some "real" bottles and some corks.

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I
am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of
the dead animal to the live one." -- Edward Abbey
Desertphile, American Patriot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 05:54:08 -0500, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> wrote:

> Desertphile, American Patriot wrote:

> > I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> > live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.

> It appears your remote cattle ranch has internet access. You
> can order supplies and bottles on line from many different
> distributors.

That I will do. (The internet access is via satellite "Direcway,"
and they charge an extortionist fee.) The problem is I can get the
small stuff by going into town on a horse, but anything large I
will have to wait until the road dries (some time around May if
I'm lucky). I'll get some "real" bottles and some corks.

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I
am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of
the dead animal to the live one." -- Edward Abbey

Desertphile, American Patriot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:46:46 -0500, "frederick ploegman"
> wrote:

> Yes, of course you can. I have been doing it for more years than I care
> to recall. I still make summer/picnic novelty wines using pint mason
> jars that have been converted to drinking mugs by the addition of a
> glass handle (I'm sure many folks here have seen them.)
>
> The lids are designed to provide long term storage for things like pickles,
> so wine presents no problem. Don't try to vacuum seal the jars. Simply
> use the lid and ring like a two piece screw cap. So long as they are
> stored in a reasonably dry location there is no problem with corrosion.
> Adequate sulfite will prevent oxidation. HTH

Thank you. I have two different types of containers for the
finished product, and I'll also try to get bottles and corks.
Maybe I'll use all three--- Mason jars included. :-)

> Frederick

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I
am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of
the dead animal to the live one." -- Edward Abbey
Desertphile, American Patriot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:46:46 -0500, "frederick ploegman"
> wrote:

> Yes, of course you can. I have been doing it for more years than I care
> to recall. I still make summer/picnic novelty wines using pint mason
> jars that have been converted to drinking mugs by the addition of a
> glass handle (I'm sure many folks here have seen them.)
>
> The lids are designed to provide long term storage for things like pickles,
> so wine presents no problem. Don't try to vacuum seal the jars. Simply
> use the lid and ring like a two piece screw cap. So long as they are
> stored in a reasonably dry location there is no problem with corrosion.
> Adequate sulfite will prevent oxidation. HTH

Thank you. I have two different types of containers for the
finished product, and I'll also try to get bottles and corks.
Maybe I'll use all three--- Mason jars included. :-)

> Frederick

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I
am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of
the dead animal to the live one." -- Edward Abbey
Citlink News

If you have a recycling center as my town, they normally have a bin for
colored glass bottles which usually is primarily wine bottles. I have
acquired several hundred this way (no cost).

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
om...
> If you are short of wine bottles, and you do not have any restaurants

around
> that you can ask to save bottles to get free ones, you can use gallon jugs
> with solid rubber bungs very nicely. You can age in these for a couple of
> years with not problem. If you have a few wine bottles, and you do not
> drink a gallon at a time, you can bottle one gallon at a time.
>
> Ray
>
> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in

message
> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:18:46 GMT, "Tom S"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in
> >> message

> >> Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to
> >> corrosion from the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor.
> >> Also, it's difficult to get the headspace small enough.

> > I did not think of those things. Humm. I have some bottles that
> > have ceramic stoppers, with a Mason jar-like wire assembly that
> > seats the stopper hard up against the bottle's mouth with a rubber
> > gasket. I suppose I could save the Mason jars for moonshine, and
> > use the bottles for wine.
> >
> >> Why bother? Bottles aren't that expensive, and they're reusable.

> > I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> > live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.
> >
> > Yah know, if I could figure out how to turn horse shit into wine,
> > I'd be a billionaire.
> >
> >> Tom S

> > ---
> > http://lastliberal.org
> > Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
> >
> > "Might does not make right but it sure makes what is." -- Edward Abbey

agent yellow

you could learn how to blow glass.

agent yellow

you could learn how to blow glass.

agent yellow

you could learn how to blow glass.

Desertphile, American Patriot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:38:20 GMT, "Citlink News"
> wrote:

> If you have a recycling center as my town, they normally have a bin for
> colored glass bottles which usually is primarily wine bottles. I have
> acquired several hundred this way (no cost).

That is an excellent idea. Thank you. Hummm. There must be a hell
of a lot of bottles laying around here, since I live on the Navajo
reservation. (Er, that's didn't come out as polite as I intended.)
I will see if I can visit some bars' trash bins looking for
bottles. Why didn't I think of this!??!?!?!?!

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Home is where, when you have to go there, you probably shouldn't." --
Edward Abbey
Desertphile, American Patriot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:38:20 GMT, "Citlink News"
> wrote:

> If you have a recycling center as my town, they normally have a bin for
> colored glass bottles which usually is primarily wine bottles. I have
> acquired several hundred this way (no cost).

That is an excellent idea. Thank you. Hummm. There must be a hell
of a lot of bottles laying around here, since I live on the Navajo
reservation. (Er, that's didn't come out as polite as I intended.)
I will see if I can visit some bars' trash bins looking for
bottles. Why didn't I think of this!??!?!?!?!

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Home is where, when you have to go there, you probably shouldn't." --
Edward Abbey
Desertphile, American Patriot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:54:12 -0500, "agent yellow"
> wrote:

> you could learn how to blow glass.

I'm not that way. :-)

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"There are circumstances in which suicide presents a viable option; a
workable alternative; the only sensible solution." -- Edward Abbey
Desertphile, American Patriot

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:54:12 -0500, "agent yellow"
> wrote:

> you could learn how to blow glass.

I'm not that way. :-)

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"There are circumstances in which suicide presents a viable option; a
workable alternative; the only sensible solution." -- Edward Abbey

Tom S

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
om...
> If you are short of wine bottles, and you do not have any restaurants
> around that you can ask to save bottles to get free ones, you can use
> gallon jugs with solid rubber bungs very nicely. You can age in these for
> a couple of years with no problem.

Actually, if the original cap is clean and still fits snugly you can use it.
Most of them have a plastic liner. If not, a couple of layers of Saran Wrap
will work OK as a gasket. Be sure that the free sulfite is where it should
be and that you don't leave any airspace over the wine. Store it in a cool
place that has relatively constant temperature.

Many years ago I filled a Gallo 3 liter screwcap bottle with wine (Cabernet)
and just left it in the cellar. On opening it some 15 years later it was
fine. It had aged, but not quite as much as the cork finished wine in
regular bottles.

Tom S

Tom S

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
om...
> If you are short of wine bottles, and you do not have any restaurants
> around that you can ask to save bottles to get free ones, you can use
> gallon jugs with solid rubber bungs very nicely. You can age in these for
> a couple of years with no problem.

Actually, if the original cap is clean and still fits snugly you can use it.
Most of them have a plastic liner. If not, a couple of layers of Saran Wrap
will work OK as a gasket. Be sure that the free sulfite is where it should
be and that you don't leave any airspace over the wine. Store it in a cool
place that has relatively constant temperature.

Many years ago I filled a Gallo 3 liter screwcap bottle with wine (Cabernet)
and just left it in the cellar. On opening it some 15 years later it was
fine. It had aged, but not quite as much as the cork finished wine in
regular bottles.

Tom S

agent yellow

>> you could learn how to blow glass.

> I'm not that way. :-)
>
> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

the gl wasn't silent ;p

Rob

Even better, you can probably make a deal with the bars to hold wine
bottles for you, or fill up a case every other week, or whatever rate
would match your wine output. They'd probaby be happy not to throw it
out. Don't know how much corked wine is consumed there (as opposed to
screw-caps,or other spirits, both of which are not made to take a
cork).

Then, you could mail order corks, and perhaps a hand corker, both of
which are light enough to carry horseback.

Good luck. Sounds like you're in a beautiful place.

Rob

Bob

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> finished product?

I had the same idea, but it exposes the wine to too much oxygen, and
pouring out of a full Mason jar is a b*tch!
Bob
"Honey, would you get me a beer?!"
- Adam's first words to Eve-

> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "The sense of justice springs from self-respect; both are coeval with
> our birth. Children are born with an innate sense of justice; it usually
> takes twelve years of public schooling and four more years of college to
> beat it out of them." -- Edward Abbey

Bob

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:18:46 GMT, "Tom S"
> > wrote:
>
> > <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in

message

> > > Rather than bottles with corks, would Mason jars work for the
> > > finished product?

> > Yeah, they'll _work_ - but the metal lid is susceptible to
> > corrosion from the acid in wine, and that'll affect the flavor.
> > Also, it's difficult to get the headspace small enough.

> I did not think of those things. Humm. I have some bottles that
> have ceramic stoppers, with a Mason jar-like wire assembly that
> seats the stopper hard up against the bottle's mouth with a rubber
> gasket. I suppose I could save the Mason jars for moonshine, and
> use the bottles for wine.

Ixnay on the oonshinemay! Running a still is a good way to get your
ranch confiscated by revenuers! They =will= take it, be sure of that.

> > Why bother? Bottles aren't that expensive, and they're reusable.

> I asked because I have Mason jars and do not have bottles. :-) I
> live on a remote cattle ranch, going for supplies one day a month.
>
> Yah know, if I could figure out how to turn horse shit into wine,
> I'd be a billionaire.
>
> > Tom S

> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "Might does not make right but it sure makes what is." -- Edward Abbey

Bob

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:38:20 GMT, "Citlink News"
> > wrote:
>
> > If you have a recycling center as my town, they normally have a bin for
> > colored glass bottles which usually is primarily wine bottles. I have
> > acquired several hundred this way (no cost).

> That is an excellent idea. Thank you. Hummm. There must be a hell
> of a lot of bottles laying around here, since I live on the Navajo
> reservation. (Er, that's didn't come out as polite as I intended.)
> I will see if I can visit some bars' trash bins looking for
> bottles. Why didn't I think of this!??!?!?!?!

I got all my bottles from the recycling center here on the island. I
just soak them in a tub of hot water and bleach.
Bob
--
http://www.RoanokeIsland.com
35* 55' N, 75* 40' W
> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "Home is where, when you have to go there, you probably shouldn't." --
> Edward Abbey

Bob

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:54:12 -0500, "agent yellow"
> > wrote:
>
> > you could learn how to blow glass.

> I'm not that way. :-)

So I'm not the only one with a perverted mind around here, I see....
Bob
--
"Oh Doctor, I know I'm getting better;
the voices in my head said so!"
> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "There are circumstances in which suicide presents a viable option; a
> workable alternative; the only sensible solution." -- Edward Abbey

Desertphile, American Patriot

On 18 Feb 2005 09:34:35 -0800, "Rob" >
wrote:

> Even better, you can probably make a deal with the bars to hold wine
> bottles for you, or fill up a case every other week, or whatever rate
> would match your wine output. They'd probaby be happy not to throw it
> out. Don't know how much corked wine is consumed there (as opposed to
> screw-caps,or other spirits, both of which are not made to take a
> cork).

That is a great idea. I can ask a bar or two if they would at
least put the bottles in a pile some where outside instead of
throwing them into the trash so that I need not dig for them.

> Then, you could mail order corks, and perhaps a hand corker,
> both of which are light enough to carry horseback.

I saw a web site that has the stuff I can use, and they will have
it delivered to the trading post at the chapter house (where most
folks on the Rez have packages delivered). I see in the weather
forecast that it will be more than a week before the current rain
moves on. Argh! The dirt road out of there is a sucking pit of red
clay.

> Good luck. Sounds like you're in a beautiful place.

http://holysmoke.org/wallpaper

and

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/...d=#slideanchor

for images.

Folks around here still go into town with pistols and rifles, and
I have heard some folks even run stills in the canyons and hills
(not that I would know anything about that).

> Rob

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Why must love always be accompanied -- sooner or later -- by sorrow and
pain? Why not? Because pure bliss is for pure idiots." -- Edward Abbey

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:25:11 -0500, "Bob" > wrote:

> Ixnay on the oonshinemay!

Ah ain't got no knowedge of any such things. To tell the truth, if
I knew of any still on the Res I would see to it that it was
destroyed: folks around here got enough trouble without that shit.

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Men love their ideas more than their lives. And the more preposterous
the idea, the more eager they are to die for it. And to kill for it." --
Edward Abbey