pinky

Default Winexpert New Crushendo "Santa Ynez Valley Syrah" --initial report

I commented about 2 months ago on a new Wine Kit from Winexpert --- the
Selection Estate Crushendo Syrah. It cost me £100 in UK and I must admit
that I thought it more than a bit expensive. I thought that it would be a
"one of" experience.

I started fermentation on 6 December 2004 and on this occasion I followed
the instructions implicitly especially in the early stages. My only
divergence was allowing the "secondary" fermentation to go on for much
longer.

On 6 February I did my final racking to a bulk storage 24 litre glass
carboy -- suitably topped up and stabilised.

Naturally I splashed a little of the wine into a glass to inspect and taste
it.

May I say that I was immensely impressed! It was full of fruit and tannin
and body and was far better than any other kit wine that I have ever made
and drunk. And I mean FAR FAR better by a long chalk! And this is a very
young wine at only 2 months old. Gone was that "red kit wine taste" !!! It
is, I believe, a HUGE step forward

I have corresponded, critically, with Winexpert (and BrewKing previously)
several times with regard to the shortcomings of red wine kits in
particular. I even told them that I thought the price of this kit was too
high! I take it all back. This is the first time that I have ever made a red
wine kit that has produced such an excellent and true result. The 25% price
hike above the other Selection Estate reds is worth every penny with a
result like this. It is going to cost me about £4/bottle by the time it is
bottled, labelled, capped and so on but it appears to be worth it. Watch out
you "real grape" wine makers at the next competition time!

I have today tried to make an order, in UK, for their next Crushendo red
which is already available in the North American continent.

Next report on this wine in about a years time

(I have no shares in Winexpert and do not receive any incentive to promote
their products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England

Ed Marks

Trevor,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. I know you've been very
critical of red kit wines, so it's good to hear that this one has turned out
so well. I'd given up on red kits, but maybe I'll have to give it one last
try.

Ed