SubTropical

Default Newbie Question on "natural fruit flavor"

I'm in the middle of making my first batch of wine - blackberry - using a
kit. The directions on the kit label state that, at the time of bottling,
flavor and aroma can be enhanced with "natural fruit flavor". Are they
talking about natural blackberry extract?

Thanks for any input on this.

SubTropical

Hmmm....no response. Thanks anyway - I guess I'll just "wing" it.

"SubTropical" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm in the middle of making my first batch of wine - blackberry - using a
> kit. The directions on the kit label state that, at the time of bottling,
> flavor and aroma can be enhanced with "natural fruit flavor". Are they
> talking about natural blackberry extract?
>
> Thanks for any input on this.

geo

Hi - remember, folks who make wine are in the habit of taking their
time about things, so questions sometimes do take a week or two to get
an answer.

Actually, "winging it" is probably the best thing you can do.
Ultimately, there's really no right way or wrong way to flavor your
wine, (short of things that could be dangerous - either to the wine, or
to the drinker's health). Ingredients like "natural blackberry
extract", shouldn't represent a problem, so it's really up to your
taste buds.

If you're wine is to your taste, then you're ready to bottle.

SubTropical

Oops - I apologize if I appeared impatient. The only commercial blackberry
wine I've tasted is Arbor Mist merlot blackberry (yeah, I know - but it's
pretty tasty....an underdeveloped palate, I guess =), and some homemade
stuff concocted by a retired auto mechanic friend of my mother-in-law. The
latter, made under what I am certain where less-than-sanitary conditions in
his garage, was quite superior in every aspect to the commercial stuff. Go
figure.

In any case, I've been inspired. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go
along...and I'll make certain to relax and wait for any help.

"geo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi - remember, folks who make wine are in the habit of taking their
> time about things, so questions sometimes do take a week or two to get
> an answer.
>
> Actually, "winging it" is probably the best thing you can do.
> Ultimately, there's really no right way or wrong way to flavor your
> wine, (short of things that could be dangerous - either to the wine, or
> to the drinker's health). Ingredients like "natural blackberry
> extract", shouldn't represent a problem, so it's really up to your
> taste buds.
>
> If you're wine is to your taste, then you're ready to bottle.

Ray Calvert

Yours is a good question. I have not made a kit fruit wine and I am not
sure what they are referring to. If they have a web address or an 800
number contact them directly and ask them. Usually the kit manufacturers
are good about helping out with their kits. They should help you if they
want repeat customers. Then let us know what they say. It might be
interesting.

Ray

.. .