J F

Default Oak Chips Sink?

Two weeks back I forgot to add the inert weight to my oak tea bag and was
resigned to it floating on the top for the duration. Today the thing is not
on the top and not visible anywhere in the carboy of merlot. Do oak chips
finally reach a saturation point and then become denser than the wine?

Aaron Puhala

In a word, YES! The cellulose fibers in wood have a specific gravity of
around 1.25-1.60. Wood floats because of the amount of air it contains in
its structure. As you suggest, as the wood becomes "wine-logged" its
specific gravity increases and eventually will be greater than the wine and
will sink.

CHEERS!

Aaron

"J F" > wrote in message
.. .
> Two weeks back I forgot to add the inert weight to my oak tea bag and was
> resigned to it floating on the top for the duration. Today the thing is
> not
> on the top and not visible anywhere in the carboy of merlot. Do oak chips
> finally reach a saturation point and then become denser than the wine?

Aaron Puhala

In a word, YES! The cellulose fibers in wood have a specific gravity of
around 1.25-1.60. Wood floats because of the amount of air it contains in
its structure. As you suggest, as the wood becomes "wine-logged" its
specific gravity increases and eventually will be greater than the wine and
will sink.

CHEERS!

Aaron

"J F" > wrote in message
.. .
> Two weeks back I forgot to add the inert weight to my oak tea bag and was
> resigned to it floating on the top for the duration. Today the thing is
> not
> on the top and not visible anywhere in the carboy of merlot. Do oak chips
> finally reach a saturation point and then become denser than the wine?

Ray Calvert

Certainly, they are water logged (or wine logged). The most common thing
that sinks boats in rivers are logs that have become waterlogged and suck to
the bottom in shallow water where a boat will hit them. Only dry wood
floats.

Ray

"J F" > wrote in message
.. .
> Two weeks back I forgot to add the inert weight to my oak tea bag and was
> resigned to it floating on the top for the duration. Today the thing is
> not
> on the top and not visible anywhere in the carboy of merlot. Do oak chips
> finally reach a saturation point and then become denser than the wine?

Ray Calvert

Certainly, they are water logged (or wine logged). The most common thing
that sinks boats in rivers are logs that have become waterlogged and suck to
the bottom in shallow water where a boat will hit them. Only dry wood
floats.

Ray

.. .

Kitchen sink Dimitri General Cooking 181 05-02-2012 02:45 PM
Sink Poll - are you a double or single bowler? What is your Dream sink? :-) jj General Cooking 23 27-02-2009 07:36 PM
Kitchen Sink Andy Petro Cooking Equipment 4 27-01-2009 06:39 AM
Everything but the kitchen sink? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 39 03-09-2008 10:34 PM
Kitchen sink Nancy Young General Cooking 86 21-08-2004 09:36 AM