Patrick McDonald

I'm new to this scientific art (though I don't apply a lot of science).
First wine was a disappointing kit in 2001, went to upstate NY grape juice
and two attempts at "country" wines before being contended with fresh CA
grapes.

Our household did ~50 gallons last year out of the ~100 our group did and
this year we're at 80 out of 150 gallons. I use grapes from the Lodi region
in CA. Namely the grapes are Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc,
Petite Syrah, Merlot, Zin, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris.

If you're near Athens, GA and would like to be involved, drop me a line
around August next year!

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Patrick McDonald

Sorry, forgot my signature and a link to our pictures from this year.

Head to http://webpages.charter.net/pmcdonald/2004%20wine/. I'm the guy you
actually don't see much in the pictures.

--
Patrick McDonald
Athens, GA

To reply, reverse text after "@"
"Patrick McDonald" > wrote in message
> I'm new to this scientific art (though I don't apply a lot of science).
> First wine was a disappointing kit in 2001, went to upstate NY grape juice
> and two attempts at "country" wines before being contended with fresh CA
> grapes.
>
> Our household did ~50 gallons last year out of the ~100 our group did and
> this year we're at 80 out of 150 gallons. I use grapes from the Lodi

region
> in CA. Namely the grapes are Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet

Franc,
> Petite Syrah, Merlot, Zin, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris.
>
> If you're near Athens, GA and would like to be involved, drop me a line
> around August next year!
>

> "Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hey Group.
> >
> > I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> > time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> > or just interested alot in that topic?
> >
> > I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
> >
> > Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
> >
> > Rudolph F. Rüttger

Patrick McDonald

Sorry, forgot my signature and a link to our pictures from this year.

Head to http://webpages.charter.net/pmcdonald/2004%20wine/. I'm the guy you
actually don't see much in the pictures.

--
Patrick McDonald
Athens, GA
AWS Chapter Chair

To reply, reverse text after "@"
"Patrick McDonald" > wrote in message
> I'm new to this scientific art (though I don't apply a lot of science).
> First wine was a disappointing kit in 2001, went to upstate NY grape juice
> and two attempts at "country" wines before being contended with fresh CA
> grapes.
>
> Our household did ~50 gallons last year out of the ~100 our group did and
> this year we're at 80 out of 150 gallons. I use grapes from the Lodi

region
> in CA. Namely the grapes are Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet

Franc,
> Petite Syrah, Merlot, Zin, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris.
>
> If you're near Athens, GA and would like to be involved, drop me a line
> around August next year!
>

> "Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hey Group.
> >
> > I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> > time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> > or just interested alot in that topic?
> >
> > I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
> >
> > Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
> >
> > Rudolph F. Rüttger

Aaron Puhala

Hi All,

I'm a materials engineer by day and winmaker/grapegrower/grape-breeder by
evening/weekend! I've been making wine for about 8 years, growing grapes
for 4 years and breeding grapes for 3 years. The more experience I get
making wine the more interested I become in all three!! So a Hobbyist for
now but my wife and I are planning toward vineyard/winery ownership.

CHEERS!

Aaron

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Aaron Puhala

Hi All,

I'm a materials engineer by day and winmaker/grapegrower/grape-breeder by
evening/weekend! I've been making wine for about 8 years, growing grapes
for 4 years and breeding grapes for 3 years. The more experience I get
making wine the more interested I become in all three!! So a Hobbyist for
now but my wife and I are planning toward vineyard/winery ownership.

CHEERS!

Aaron

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Richard Kruse

I am a hobbyist. My initial interest was the propagating and growing fruits
hardy in Zone 3 of Northern Minnesota about 90 mile from the Canadian
border. Our first wine was wild grape wine made using a chokecherry wine
recipe. It turned out very sweet but consumable. Fruits that we grow and
turn into juice that we have make into wine are the currants, red and black,
juneberry, wild grape, Nanking cherry, rhubarb and various plums. (It is
easier to "share" a bottle of wine than a jar of jelly). We have been doing
this close to 10 years and are learning the value of aging through some
highbush cranberry wine I bottled this year. Presently have about 80
gallons in various stages.
Dick Kruse

George Adkins

Hi Everyone:
I am a retired Mechanical Engineer. I have been making wine and beer for the
past 5 years. Have had to put a lot of projects down the drain, but now I'm
trying to learn the correct way now so it wont be so expensive. I enjoy this
group and all the knowledge I am getting from it.

"Richard Kruse" > wrote in message

> I am a hobbyist. My initial interest was the propagating and growing
> fruits hardy in Zone 3 of Northern Minnesota about 90 mile from the
> Canadian border. Our first wine was wild grape wine made using a
> chokecherry wine recipe. It turned out very sweet but consumable. Fruits
> that we grow and turn into juice that we have make into wine are the
> currants, red and black, juneberry, wild grape, Nanking cherry, rhubarb
> and various plums. (It is easier to "share" a bottle of wine than a jar
> of jelly). We have been doing this close to 10 years and are learning the
> value of aging through some highbush cranberry wine I bottled this year.
> Presently have about 80 gallons in various stages.
> Dick Kruse

George Adkins

Hi Everyone:
I am a retired Mechanical Engineer. I have been making wine and beer for the
past 5 years. Have had to put a lot of projects down the drain, but now I'm
trying to learn the correct way now so it wont be so expensive. I enjoy this
group and all the knowledge I am getting from it.

"Richard Kruse" > wrote in message

> I am a hobbyist. My initial interest was the propagating and growing
> fruits hardy in Zone 3 of Northern Minnesota about 90 mile from the
> Canadian border. Our first wine was wild grape wine made using a
> chokecherry wine recipe. It turned out very sweet but consumable. Fruits
> that we grow and turn into juice that we have make into wine are the
> currants, red and black, juneberry, wild grape, Nanking cherry, rhubarb
> and various plums. (It is easier to "share" a bottle of wine than a jar
> of jelly). We have been doing this close to 10 years and are learning the
> value of aging through some highbush cranberry wine I bottled this year.
> Presently have about 80 gallons in various stages.
> Dick Kruse

George Adkins

Hi Everyone:
I am a retired Mechanical Engineer. I have been making wine and beer for the
past 5 years. Have had to put a lot of projects down the drain, but now I'm
trying to learn the correct way now so it wont be so expensive. I enjoy this
group and all the knowledge I am getting from it.

"Richard Kruse" > wrote in message

> I am a hobbyist. My initial interest was the propagating and growing
> fruits hardy in Zone 3 of Northern Minnesota about 90 mile from the
> Canadian border. Our first wine was wild grape wine made using a
> chokecherry wine recipe. It turned out very sweet but consumable. Fruits
> that we grow and turn into juice that we have make into wine are the
> currants, red and black, juneberry, wild grape, Nanking cherry, rhubarb
> and various plums. (It is easier to "share" a bottle of wine than a jar
> of jelly). We have been doing this close to 10 years and are learning the
> value of aging through some highbush cranberry wine I bottled this year.
> Presently have about 80 gallons in various stages.
> Dick Kruse

Rob

I'm a hobbyist, with big dreams.

I started making wine with a friend who had moved to a place with
grapevines on it. His dad had been a home winemaker, so we had a good
advisor. So over the past 5 years I've made wine from grapes and
grapejuice, no box kits. I'm now making 30 gal/year on my own, and am
still helping my friend with their own 30-50 gal/year.

Now that I've also moved to a place with some land to grow grapes
(Southern Washington, across the river from Portland Oregon), I'm
planning on planting Riesling grapes, and would love to keep expanding
to the point of being a professional winemaker or starting my own
winery at some point.

I'm an engineer by training, with a great interest in the biology,
chemistry, and art of winemaking.

Rob

Darren George

I'm a college chemistry instructor. I started making wines as a
graduate student in Edmonton, trying to revive a family tradition that
my mother had lost interest in (she got back into it in a hurry,
though). I've made a few kits, but I find I much prefer fruit wines-
raspberry, peach, blackcurrant, saskatoon[1], cherry. I've made a lot
of apple wine, not because it's my favourite, but because apples and
crabapples are often free for the picking in the back yards of many
neighbors, friends and relative.

I've been out of wine-making for a while (since I had a long run of
bad luck, and a few moves), but am now getting back to it (when the
three small children allow). I'm also now living in the Okanagan,
which makes it hard for people to understand why I'm not making grape
wines, or why I'm doing it at home instead of going to a "U-brew",
where you buy the kit and pick it up when it's ready to bottle. But
that's just me.

[1] One of my many pet peeves is when saskatoons are referred to as
"saskatoon berries" or, worse, "Saskatoon berries", by someone who
thinks that they are named after the city, rather than the other way
around. "-atoon" is a Cree prefix for fruit or berry, so tacking on
"berry" at the end is as redundant as "strawberry berry" would be

Cheers,.
---The Mad Alchemist---
http://www.mad-alchemy.com
Email sent to the above address, unless clearly marked
as wine or heraldry, will be deleted unread.

Roskar

Gidday Rudolph,

I have been making wine for about three years now as a hobby under the
house.

I am a Mechanical Engineer in the Building Services industry (ie air
conditioning) in Queensland, Australia and moved here from the
Netherlands some 8 years ago.

Out of interest and because of the price of beer I started brewing beer
from cans. Originally just the cans from the supermarkets, but
gradually introducing more upmarket products from the Homebrew Shop.

One day three years ago I happened to have to visit the homebrew shop
when my wife was with me. I was looking at wine kits and she said "
Just get one". I bought one kit, container and CJJ Berry's book, and
that was the beginning of it all. I haven't looked back since,
especially after discovering Jack Keller's website and this Google
group.

I make a couple of kits every year, and try to make as many fruit and
vegetable wines as I can put my hands on. Currently fermenting are
honeydew melon, rockmelon, paw paw, pineapple, mandarin, eggplant, fig
& raisin, grapefruit, banana & raisin, tomato, dragon fruit, and
probably some more that I can't remember just now.

So far my favourites are orange&tangello and pineapple. This may change
over time when more wines mature and are tried.
Karel
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Marc

Hobbyist too.
I've been at it for over 2 years now. I only make fresh fruit wines and
have never made a grape wine yet. I started this because I'm a wine lover
and have a great interest in this science and because of the abundance of
wild blueberry and chokecherry growing in my area. I enjoy Jack Keller's
site very much and have tried many of the recipes. I also enjoy making my
own combinations such as a cranberry-pomegranate I've just made. I'm
learning a lot on this newsgroup and I take advantage of this post to thank
everyone for sharing their knowledge and to wish a Happy Holiday to all.

Marc
Québec, Canada

"Rudolph R?ttger" > a écrit dans le message de
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Marc

Hobbyist too.
I've been at it for over 2 years now. I only make fresh fruit wines and
have never made a grape wine yet. I started this because I'm a wine lover
and have a great interest in this science and because of the abundance of
wild blueberry and chokecherry growing in my area. I enjoy Jack Keller's
site very much and have tried many of the recipes. I also enjoy making my
own combinations such as a cranberry-pomegranate I've just made. I'm
learning a lot on this newsgroup and I take advantage of this post to thank
everyone for sharing their knowledge and to wish a Happy Holiday to all.

Marc
Québec, Canada

"Rudolph R?ttger" > a écrit dans le message de
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

RKG

Retired nuclear plant electrician/electronics tech. Been making wine
as a hobby for about 35 years. Make both fruit and kit wines.

Rick

Rudolph R?ttger wrote:

>Hey Group.
>
>I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
>time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
>or just interested alot in that topic?
>
>I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
>Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
>Rudolph F. Rüttger

RKG

Rudolph R?ttger wrote:

>Hey Group.
>
>I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
>time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
>or just interested alot in that topic?
>
>I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
>Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
>Rudolph F. Rüttger

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

In article .com>,
Erroll Ozgencil > wrote:
>I'm a hobbyist who started brewing beer over ten years ago.

I'm a mild-mannered economics professor by day, and I've been making
beer since 1991.

With the beer, I go all-out. It's flower hops, all grain, and liquid
yeast.

My usual supplier (grape & granary) seemed to have more emphasis on wine
& cheese. So I started with cheese (I'll be ordering a press in the next
couple of days; I just did the simple ones so far), and then ordered a
couple of the brewking (vintner's reserve?) concentrate kits, and then a
bucket of juice . . .

This year I ended up with three buckets of fresh juice.

I like the results, but I'll probably stick to the upper end
concentrates & commercial buckets. I certainly like the results, but
really good beer is still my thing most of the time. It gets along with
my sinuses (sini? *much* better. Currently, I'm cutting way back on
the clarifiers to see if that helps.

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

In article .com>,
Roskar > wrote:

>that was the beginning of it all. I haven't looked back since,
>especially after discovering Jack Keller's website and this Google
>group.

Err, you do realize that google only archives this group (and the rest
of usenet), don't you?

A newsreader or most browsers can get it without google. In a browser,
you typically need to type "news://rec.crafts.winemaking".

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail
Find commentary on law, economics, and X and postings.
other issues of the day at dochawk.org! / \

On Topic post about Off Topic Posts (that no one responded to inanother thread) Tommy Joe General Cooking 40 24-09-2012 03:07 AM
[OT] ... but seriously Off Topic ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 12 02-08-2009 09:12 PM
Off Topic? Welsh Dog General Cooking 2 02-07-2009 03:01 PM
Off Topic/On Topic: Disgusting - Monkey Meat Recipe Dee.Dee General Cooking 7 18-11-2007 06:11 PM